If lightning takes the shortest path to ground....

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Magical Realist, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

When an honest question is mocked and asked if it is a joke, it becomes totally called for. But then you knew that didn't ya?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

Sorry, my previous reply may have been unnecessarily helpful. How about this:

Troll reported for unsolicited insults and flaming. <shrug>

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

You mean hateful, not "helpful," right? You were straight-up trolling, as usual.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Everyone's a troll, now?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Is that a joke? I am often not sure on these forums.

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Except for you..

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Hmmm... Wonder if I should report YOU for failing to answer a simple direct an honest question? I'm simply trying to find out what your level of education really is so that I can take it into consideration when answering your questions. For example, my first reply was obviously way over you head since it meant nothing to you.

11. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Not everyone, just anyone who figures out that he is...how to put this...pleasing himself...gleaning...baiting...acting out...possibly!?!?
    Even then, it seems he has other parameters to, let us say, sway his decision whether to unleash his childlike wrath.
    There is every possibility that you could/would/should never incur said wrath.
    If you can decode the following you may perceive a "hint" as to why. :
    .......yyuryyubicuryy.......
    .............notyy..............

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Soooo...what exactly happens when one is reported? Does one receive a virtual .......firm ....spanking? Hmmm?

@ dumbest man on earth...oh, i'm not very good at riddles. why don't you spell it out? lol

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

Nope. But I am happy to see your disapproval; it means I'm doing something right.

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

Post reported for unsolicited questions and joking. <shrug>

15. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Actually, it is precisely SPELLED out - and it is NOT A RIDDLE.
    Besides, it is a simple exercise for your gray matter, it is really fairly simple and when you understand what "it spells out", it should give you a chuckle, an insight, and maybe even a tiny little boost to your self esteem!
    Anyway, if everything in life was given to you and you never had to try or work or earn or learn anything -would that life be of much value?

p.s. Could the beginning of Post #49, be mistaken or inferred or construed in any way as coquettish? Just asking.

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Doh!

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

hmmm...i guess I'll try harder.

All of the above.

18. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

p.s. Could the beginning of Post #49, be mistaken or inferred or construed in any way as coquettish? Just asking.

Quote from wegs Post #54 : "All of the above."

Have you not yet figured out that those type of feints, ploys or tactics are ineffectual to the dumbest man on earth.
    Your response of ;"All of the above." - could be mistaken or inferred or construed as both coquettish and coy. Would that not be perpetuating a stereotype?

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Lol @ "stereotype"...

So much for levity.

20. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

So levity...
    Did I mention...ineffectual?
    Me thinks you are just trying to get away with not even trying to actually READ the, as you put it RIDDLE.
    Here, I'll make the first part even easier - "yyuryyubicuryy4me" - how much more plainly can I S-P-E-L-L I-T O-U-T ?

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

deleted comment...

@ dmoe...it was intended to be a light hearted comment, is all.
    let's not distract from the thread any further...
    (sorry, magical)

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Lightning takes the path of least resistance.

Well, consider an electrical extension cord that runs from a power point to your electric drill. The cord is all coiled up on the floor. What's the shortest path a current could take to get from the point to the drill while you're holding it? Well, it would be a shorter distance for the current to flow through you than through the cord, for a start.

So, why doesn't it? The answer is that the interior of the cord contains metal with a low resistance. And the cord is covered with a plastic or other substance with very high resistance. The current follows the path of least resistance to the drill, which is through the cord and not through your body.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

My initial problem was conceiving of a uniform mass like air having varying conductivity at different places within itself. Ions should be distributed pretty evenly in air below a thundercloud. Unless they tend to clump together due to static charge. Anyway, as explained ions CAN accumulate and charge up the air at different locations, causing these streamers to form that the leader will then follow in a willynilly fashion resulting in the jagged course of the final discharge. Pretty complicated business for something that all happens in a fraction of a second!