If information cannot be created/destroyed...

Discussion in 'Comparative Religion' started by Equinox, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Ah I see. A process isn't physical. That's a shame.
    But you say this knowledge is in your brain, how then can you be aware of it if it isn't physical? Are you physical?
    Yes it does have everything to do with reversibility.
    If ALL information is available, then you should be able to extract the position and velocity information for every particle in a gas at equilibrium, like Maxwell's demon.

So why can't you, or even a putative demon, do that? And seriously, you can't and nor can anyone, and for very good, nay rigorous, reasons.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thales Registered Member

Seattle, would you care to elaborate a bit further? I would say, I guess, I believe there is "free choice." But I am wondering if this idea lines up with your idea of "free will"? What are your assumptions? I'd love to listen closely to your more worked-out thoughts on this matter.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I don't have any worked-out thoughts beyond what I posted really. On the smallest (classical) level everything is definite. If you could track everything atom you would know the future state of everything therefore that's effectively pre-determined.

We don't function at that level (more or less like comparing source code with the higher level systems that we actually interact with (Windows). On our daily level there is some free choice (are we having pizza or hamburger). Even that is somewhat pre-determined. Not in some cosmic sense. It's just that much of what we do isn't conscious and if it's not consciously chosen it's not "free will". It's environment, genetics, it's the brain making a choice before it's consciously "chosen".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thales Registered Member

Well, that would be a further "type" of internalized division, namely what is "conscious" and its negation. I was asking roughly: What does the "free" in "free will" indicate, in your reckoning?

And how do you know what is not "consciously chosen", if that very selection/choice is strictly speaking "unfree"?

Thanks for your consideration.

8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Free to not make a choice, consciously. I may be free to chose pizza over hamburger but if you observe me for a while and know that I will always choose hamburger then I'm predictable and that's deterministic isn't it.

If I only pick hamburger or pizza and never Gyros that might be a cultural thing. If I don't eat grass that might be DNA related. If I'm addicted to caffeine, reaching for coffee might not be a very free choice either.

There were some experiments where someone's brain was "wired up" and they were presented with certain choices. Some choices were made by the unconscious parts of the brain before the conscious parts also made the choice (I've not described that in a very scientifically accurate way obviously).

9. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

If you do a search for the words "near death experience Life Review" you will find some information that I would think that you would consider relevant. I believe that all of us are like reality film stars in a massive eight billion star reality film series produced by the Creator who is composed of fundamental energy that is explained by String Theory.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

This thread is 5 years old. Probably better to start a new one rather than engaging in thread necromancy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.