"If I am right, I go to heaven, if you are right, you die anyway."

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by garbonzo, Apr 6, 2012.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Better sounding but ultimately empty calories...

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains there's a land that's fair and bright
    Where the handouts grow on bushes and you sleep out every night
    Where the boxcars are all empty and the sun shines every day
    On the birds and the bees and the cigarette trees
    Where the lemonade springs where the bluebird sings
    In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

So once again we are back with your adamant insistence that empiricism has a monopoly on all issues of evidence ....
    :shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Because you aren't feeding him the right things. Literally.

Food = empirical evidence.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Empiricism is the use of reliable evidence to defend a claim. What else is there?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What other kind of evidence is there? Logical deduction? Logical proofs for God all fail in one way or another. God=wishful thinking, unless you can demonstrate otherwise.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

So there are no Taoists that have misconceptions about God?
    There are no Hinduists that think cloudy Heaven and firey Hell are what the bible purports?
    No Christians that (like atheists) think it makes sense that the world was created more than 6000 years ago?

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

If we take the problem of directly perceiving the president, there are clearly other factors that come to the fore.

IOW in cases where the subject is immensely greater than the applicant, the reliability (or even applicability) of empiricism is ineffective.

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

which in this scenario = starve ... since empiricism is akin to a seasonal food

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

sure
    they tend to go by the title of taoist
    sure
    they tend to go by the name of neo-hindus

sure
    they tend to go by the name of creationists

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

But if you haven't perceived it directly or indirectly, how do you know it exists? And even if you guess it exists, how do you verify it?

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

thats why I propose the example of the president since it answers all these questions

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

OK, so you agree - ideas, misconceptions and theories are not the exclusive domain of atheism. And no, atheism doesn't "own" them. And you retract these statements:
    Because otherwise you've contradicted yourself.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

sure its only the atheist ones that they own ...

17. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

It is a hasty generalization to correlate an assertion of Biblical inspiration as indiscriminately literal-minded. Being the "authoritative Word of God" does not preclude literary devices in the least.

The provenance of scripture seems to be a non sequitur or red herring here.

How would seeking coherence be more subjective than someone with an admitted cognitive bias appealing to ridicule? Histories are well known to contain subjective embellishments of the chronicler, especially when literacy was rare.

Perhaps you honestly missed this: "What you find compelling is subjective opinion, short of conclusive evidence."

stance
    2 b : intellectual or emotional attitude
    attitude
    4 a : a mental position with regard to a fact or state
    b : a feeling or emotion toward a fact or state
    position
    2: a point of view adopted and held to
    opinion
    1 a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter

-merriam-webster​

Have I made my point? Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'm assuming I don't really have to spell it out further.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I can see a consistent image of the president, I can hear him talk, and know that there is most likely a real person behind this image. If I wanted to, I could go to a rally and see him in person. This image is independent of my belief system and can be corroborated by anyone. You cannot say the same thing about God or any supernatural concepts.

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

So IOW direct perception of the president (that goes beyond accepting the hearsay of persons in authority positions) requires that you meet him in accordance with a framework dictated by the president

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Until I meet him, I don't know if the president really exists. I think it's more likely than not, based on the evidence I have seen, which is mostly audio and video. Do you have audio or video of God?

My second question would be, how would you personally verify the existence of the president?

21. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

So, still some vague "various evidences"? What we've previously discussed has been shown to be very far removed from the criteria of evidence, or even valid logic.

So your "Mets fandom" is just as likely to warrant you attacking another's worldview? :bugeye: Fandom opposes competing fandom, not a worldview beyond its own scope.

Without empirical evidence it does. Claims have no prima facie factual value of their own without objective verification.

Then what is it you meant to say with regard to atheism not being an opinion?

You seem to have completely dodged any justification of these being "logical". Is subjective value your criteria for logic?

Look up why they are all called Abrahamic.

Perhaps you should look up deity while you're at it. Ever done any serious comparative religious studies? Might want to take a look at that as well.

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No, you haven't. Cherry picking definitional phrases doesn't mean that you have exhaustively defined the only ways the word stance can be used correctly.

Atheism, at its essence, isn't an opinion; it is a structure of logic - that until something is demonstrated compellingly, it is not granted.

23. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

For the third time now, what you find compelling is subject to opinion. You seem to assume that what people find compelling about theism is not demonstrable to them.

The truly compelling is beyond refute. A lack of evidence cannot constitute being beyond refute unless it is ultimately exhaustive.