if christ returned,how would Atheists take it?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lostmind, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Very nice SnakeLord!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nasor Valued Senior Member

You seem to have some serious misconceptions about how atheists think. Atheist don’t lack faith in God because they don’t want God to exist or because they find the idea unpleasant – they lack faith because there is no logical reason to believe.

Yes, it would be nice if God exists and we could all achieve eternal life by worshiping him. It would also be nice if tomorrow my car were to spontaneously turn into solid gold – think of how pleasantly rich I would be! Of course, I don’t believe that my car will turn into gold tomorrow because the mere fact that a belief has pleasant implications doesn’t make it any more plausible. Do you believe in God because you want blissful eternal life? If so, then why do you believe in God but don’t believe that your car will turn into gold? Wouldn’t that be nice too?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lostmind Registered Senior Member

Nasor: You seem to have some serious misconceptions about how atheists think. Atheist don’t lack faith in God because they don’t want God to exist or because they find the idea unpleasant – they lack faith because there is no logical reason to believe.
    LOstmind:Read these post. They sound like they dont want God to exist. I understand that there isn't any logical reason to beleive but they seem like they aren't in search of a logical reason. It's like, people used to think the earth was flat. some people accepted it,while others didn't and they continued the quest for Knowledge. I beleive in God because I haven't seen a reason not too.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nasor Valued Senior Member

You realize, don't you, that disbelief should generally be your default stance on things until you have evidence to the contrary? I mean, you can't prove that I don't have a pink unicorn living in my house - but I bet you don't believe it simply because it hasn't been disproved.

Similarly, why should I believe in your god if I don't have a reason to?

8. lostmind Registered Senior Member

you guys are frying my brain. nasor,you are right, and logically, you got me beat. you all have me logically beat.It's just hard for me to beleive we are here on earth by some random chain of events.
    sometimes i ask myself, "why would GOD create people to worship him?" I wouldn't create something to worship me.....and if I did, why would I want to punish it for not worshiping?It's like being born to serve......nooooooooooooooooooo

9. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

You DARE not believe in the Invisible Pink Unicorn!? She is truly loving, but you will be anally gored for eternity for your disbelief (in her love and mercy of course)!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(Peace Be Unto Her) (May Her Hooves Never Be Shod)

"The Invisible Pink Unicorn is a being of great spiritual power. We know this because she is capable of being invisible and pink at the same time. Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorn is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that she is pink; we logically know that she is invisible because we can't see her."​

10. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I can see how that would appear unlikely – but is it any more unlikely than an omnipotent supernatural and all of the other baggage that accompanies the Christian religion? Invoking god as an explanation seems to raise far more questions than it answers. No one can answer the deep questions about how the universe got here and why things are the way they are – never the less, you shouldn’t just seize on any explanation that comes along.

11. lostmind Registered Senior Member

12. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Hello SnakeLord,

Exodus 9:14
    For I will at this time send all my plagues upon thine heart, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that there is none like me in all the earth.

This suggests that the bubonic plague was not from God, bare in mind God does not change.

It seems to me that you’re calling the writers of the Bible lunatics? Would you not agree that the Bible, is at the very least, a classical literarily achievement?

Reason for what?

If the Egyptians could do brain surgery and build the Pyramids, it wouldn’t surprise me if they knew a thing or two about nature.

You are assuming they knew nothing, which I strongly disagree with.

Well it happened quick enough to convince the Pharaoh that something dodgy was going on.

I think you completely missed or just ignored the scripture I pasted concerning this and also my explanation about original sin. Yes we know the technical (well most just trust the experts) details now but this doesn’t rule out God at all. Do you think God was just a word used to explain the unknown? If you read the Bible it tells of Gods personality, it advices on life, it’s an instruction manual, straight from God. Some instructions are context sensitive so don’t play that card.

Revelation
    18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
    19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Your disrespect for the Bible is staggering, and if I remember correctly you’re a writer! You actually think that Christians believe in the Bible because they want a quick answer to the unknown? I read your comments regarding how twisted(or something) it is that Jenyar believes because of the gift of eternal life? Why do you think Jenyar spends time in this place (Sub forum)?

This answer is logical, but you’re assuming that these people were simpletons.

And again… I have more questions now then I had before I became a Christian, so that’s your theory up the spout.

It is up to you what you believe. You sound like an up and coming Hitler, like some other atheists around here.

Maybe that person had woken up from a delusion they were having which involved being one of the Israelites that Moses lead and instructed back in the days of old, when God knew they needed rules or maybe they would have perished as a people.

No, we (well I can only speak for the priest and me) just bare in mind that some of the passages are context sensitive.

Comparing science with religion is like comparing chalk with cheese.

Religion may change because it’s man made, but the Bible doesn’t.

The thing with the Bible is that the descendants of the people that wrote it, from Adam, are still here now, so we can assume the original scripture is accurate. Maybe the odd copy had a spelling mistake. Do you know how meticulous the Jewish people are regarding scripture (and other things)?

Thanks for this information, it’s useful and interesting. Just because there are similarities between stories it doesn’t mean that one of them is false, and no one can say otherwise. As far as the Sumerians go, they were God’s people also, so no doubt at some stage they had contact with God. It was Abraham who started the ball rolling with the Jews, Christians and the Muslims. It is believed that Moses wrote most of the early Bible by the guidance of the Holy Spirit so therefore the similarity between the flood legends makes sense as it happens. What you have to bare in mind is that there are many people who are out to discredit the Bible for whatever reason, so they might, shall I say, promote stories for this reason and make up the readers mind for them. I mean the site or book that you gathered this information from; does it mention Genesis by any chance?

LOL, yeah it wouldn’t surprise me.

Yes, namely the sheer amount of tablets found I guess. But the explanations or conclusions arrived at from translators is open to criticism, it’s not concrete.

Thanks, I’ll try to check it out.

Well I have studied Christian theology independent of the Bible. I have studied bits of the Islamic, Jewish and Hindu Religions. Evolution I have studied. Cosmology I’ve looked into. I’ve studied some aspects of human science. History to a lesser extent. During all of this the Bible has been able to answer when a question has popped up. There is no doubt that there’s lots more material available, and some other great literarily achievements, but at the end of the day I could pop off tomorrow so I made a choice and I will live with it. This does not stop my brain from working though, I will continue to read and investigate. Even though you probably discredit any mention of “spiritual experiences”, in my experience they do happen, and are very powerful. Why they only happen to some people I don’t know, that’s why I never rely on them in a debate. Do you think people who discredit them are a little close minded?

All in all you have to be realistic, and it would take more than a life time to cover everything to sufficient depth. The Bible has not let me down yet.

I disagree, pride is the issue.

Why don’t you try this test? Try the leprechaun’s scenario, then try the God one, then read the Bible and pray a few times and see what happens. In the meantime I’ll pray for you.

Luke 11:9
    And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Oh I see. It does determine reality, its history. Just like the last word you or i wrote.

No. I would probably arrive at the same conclusion.

For all I know all other religions could be worshipping the same God, the religion maybe different because of the culture. I don’t think the 50 people would have the right answer, do you?

Not really. Some “Christians” believe all sorts of man made dogma. Christian in my mind is simply someone who professes a belief in Jesus Christ. This would include everything that is written in the Bible.

Jesus did predict that the world would experience wars, famines, nations rising against nations etc. and he also said this:

Luke 12:53
    The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Everything that Jesus predicts strangely comes to pass.

You might call me a pessimist or worse for saying this, but I really can’t envisage peace on earth until the return of Jesus. Men are too greedy, power mad and proud. I wonder whose next after Iraq?

And they tend to go against the idea of peace, if you look at history.

I disagree

Are we talking about robotics now? Cris is the man for that…

Where does Jesus mention this?

There you go with science. Did you ever read that Einstein quote? I thought it was good, even though he was a scientist and not a philosopher.

Then I’m not worshipping the correct God, I’m wearing some aftershave named after him.

I find this hard myself. I don’t think loving anyone is futile.

He did.

Have you ever had an argument with a close member of your family and stopped loving them? What I’m trying to say is that peace doesn’t = love.

Because of my belief I have been set against my dad, as he lost his faith a while ago, but we still love each other the same. The sword Jesus is speaking of is the Word. Belief in the Word will cause strife, and it has been proven true.

I think it’s revolutionary for a so called carpenter to utter those truly original words in those times, but that’s just me.

I see how you could arrive there. Yes. Maybe it just meant that both God and angels have knowledge of good and evil.

I agree, I use that site for other purposes generally.

This site does not prove the existence or non existence of God or gods I agree. No site does.

Really, how did you arrive at this conclusion?

Do you believe that the first people on the planet lived just a few thousand years ago? (I do by the way, another debate)

I answered this somewhere above. This actually doesn’t conclude anything, it is interesting though.

Really, so why did some people keep many gods? Don’t you think this motive is a little flimsy?

Nice line, and I would have said exactly (if I could have thought of the wording at the time) the same thing when I was an agnostic.

I see what you’re saying, and it is what all non believers say. But try my test and hopefully you’ll get your evidence.

Well people make up there own facts if you like. For example, some people state that Macro Evolution is a fact, when I would argue it is not (leave this for another debate). I would say that Jesus walked on the earth as a fact; some people would say it is not (Leave this for another debate). Faith is involved in a lot of facts if that makes sense.

Another example. I have never been to Australia, but I think it exists as a matter of fact. I have met people with this strange accent (not as strange as mine) and they said they were from there. But I knew it existed before I met them, because I watched neighbours, I even talked to people that said that they had visited Australia to see relatives. The seed was planted in my Geography class. This was all I needed to make the existence of Australia a fact in my mind.

Dave

13. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Hello there,

How did you conclude this?

Dave

14. lostmind Registered Senior Member

because if you dont worship, you go to hell. you just cant recognize him as your savior, you have to worship too.

15. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Yeah. As I see it, worship actually is beneficial to the worshipper, it makes us feel happier. As you know God wants a relationship with us.

That was a quick response mind ya!

Dave

16. Nasor Valued Senior Member

No, those aren't good arguments. Most of them amounted to "We can't currently explain everything perfectly, so God must have done it." It's just a more modern version of the same old superstitious fallacy, ascribing what we don't understand to the supernatural.

17. lostmind Registered Senior Member

Davewhite04, I wish GOD would show his self too us, so all the debate would be over. this is very frustrating when logically the atheist are right, it doesn't seem possible. Faith is hard to keep with all of these unanswered questions.

18. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

The Invisible Pink Unicorn will show Herself soon, don't you worry!

Praise! Glory! May Her hoofs never be shod!

But she is a bit insecure, so flatter and praise her or you will be anally gored on her holy horn! (In her love and mercy).

19. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Blasphemer! Tis not a unicorn, but our holy hoofed one is a pegasus. You have been deceived by the evil pink goat man. The Invisible Pink Pegasus shall flap her wings and create a mighty tornado to smite thee.

20. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Wrong evil one! I've experienced the presence of the IPU - I KNOW She is the one true one. Say all you want, try and rationalize it away and use your misplaced ''logic''. I *KNOW* the truth, and you will be anally gored for enternity! (In her love and mercy).

21. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Hello again!

Well if we consider that it is possible for anyone to be reborn in Christ now(even atheists) then we must allow time for this to happen, so that it is clear which is the wheat and which is the chaff. Free Will is what we have. If God Just showed up now then we would know it is the end, so I for one am glad that the Great day is delayed as it gives us more time to talk to the unbelievers, some of which I'm certain can be saved or else Jesus would have been and gone and we'd be... well you know where.

This scripture springs to mind when you asked the question. Basically it's what I think is at least one of the reasons why God remains anonymous until called.

Matthew 3
    11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he(Jesus) that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
    12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

I think the "purging" is going on.

Dave

22. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

davewhite04: Well if we consider that it is possible for anyone to be reborn in Christ now(even atheists) then we must allow time for this to happen, so that it is clear which is the wheat and which is the chaff.
    M*W: Dave, do you actually believe its possible for "atheists to be reborn in Christ?" Atheists don't believe in your dying demigod savior, so your mission to convert us is useless.
    davewhite04: Free Will is what we have. If God Just showed up now then we would know it is the end, so I for one am glad that the Great day is delayed as it gives us more time to talk to the unbelievers, some of which I'm certain can be saved or else Jesus would have been and gone and we'd be... well you know where.
    M*W: If "free will is what we have," why do you presume your "talking to the unbelievers" might save them? Your talking to us infringes on our "free will." You're saying that it's okay for you to have free will to worship the god of your choice, but we are not entitled to our own free will because your mission is to take the time to talk to us so we can be "saved by Jesus."
    davewhite04: This scripture springs to mind when you asked the question. Basically it's what I think is at least one of the reasons why God remains anonymous until called.
    M*W: God remains silent because he's not there -- he's not anywhere! Well, the one exception to God's existence is that he resides as a delusion in your head -- not ours.

23. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Hello Medicine Woman,

In theory it’s possible.

It doesn’t infringe on anything, the decision is your choice nobody else’s.

That’s your free will in action.

Dave