Identity loss and suicide rates in Maoris

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by S.A.M., Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

the basics

Maori culture is matriarchal in spiritual structure yet western culture has pushed a patriarchal culture upon them.
    they are very sexist culturally too.
    (those who think they know and say that's not true just don't know)
    sexual orientation is a completely separate Kiakura which is where it is hidden as most(over 30 adult) maori are fairly accepting of homosexuality and bisexuality.
    where as the children are much the same as pacific islander children, very homophobic and sexist and violent
    soo...
    you then have the excuse brigade fostering hopelessness by raising them to feel they are only half a person (generational pollution of the nurture process).
    then you have the MASSIVE amount of domestic abuse.

we are talking MASSIVE amount of domestic abuse infanticide & child abuse.

the answer is cultural as much as the cause is.

however... you are still faced with the same issue you get in any country with black and white people in.
    the blacks wont accept what the whites say as advice as much as the whites may trivialise and fashion trend the comments and opinions of the blacks.

i forgot to mention something quite vital to the entire process
    a simple equation...

maori kids are raised to think that government is corrupt so that underpins their mistrust of authority. Because of that they think crime is equally valid and serve to only be as bad and corrupt as their own parents make out the government to be.
    the selfish instinct of survival plays a big part which is heightened by the focus on violence that pervades every corner of their domestic life and peer bonding.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The arrogance of that, we may assume, is a leftover from the British cultural influence in India?

Surely it cannot derive from the common influence of institutionalized Abrahamic monotheism, on its true believers, or some other obvious factor of the kind.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Observation is arrogance? The last 60 years of western influence have not been especially useful for any of these Muslim countries. What we saw under colonial rule in India - using Indians as cheap labour and taking our resources cheaply and selling us expensive manufactured goods in return - is still the norm

With the Maoris of course, it was just easier to take the land, since their culture had not prepared them for a mindset of material possession and they had no idea exactly what they were giving away until it was too late. In that I think, Asia and the Middle East were better prepared to understand the consequences of occupation

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

When it's "observation" of one's cultural presuppositions, yes.

Consider Kipling's observations of the character of the Hindu, say.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Many years ago I was riding on a train in Eastern Hungary. (It was the first year Hungary was part of Euro-Rail.) All signs were in three languages: Hungarian, Russian and German - no English. Also true in the small towns I got off in. Euro rail was, probably still is, great for a free spirit as nothing needs to be planned and you always have a free place to sleep (on the train).

I knew some conversational Russian and technical German, so lack of English was not much of a problem, but I was far from fluent. I was quite happy to be once in my life where almost no one used English. I went to the Russian border, but did not cross. (I was working for APL and did have some classified knowledge. - My fear was not that it would be compromised, but I did not want any USSR stamp in my passport to explain when I got back home.)

Literally on the boarder, I talked with two USSR tank officers for 45 minutes or perhaps an hour. When parting, with a lot of common agreement and understanding about the stupidity of the cold war, they both took small metal rank pins from their caps and gave them to me - all I could offer in return was a US quarter to each, but they seemed happy with that.

SUMMARY: Being where there is no English is a treat, at least for me.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

There you go Sam, religion once again destroys everything in it's path.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm Mecca is not a tourist spot y'know, its a holy sanctum.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

There are no plaques in English.

I'm sure you'd enjoy it for a day or so. But what if this entire convoy came to your country and imposed this way of life on you? I mean even at 0.003% of them only choosing it for themselves, is intolerable for the French.

So how about if it was a situation similar to the Maoris [who are 13% of the population of NZ now]?

How many years before you felt that your society had been taken over by foreign elements?

How would you feel if you were banned from practising your language and customs as the Maori were?

If your children were forced into a foreign way of life [madrassas being compulsory for instance] forbidden to speak their own language and punished for celebrating their own customs?

How would your children feel? How would their children feel? And theirs? And theirs?

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Here's an interesting case study of migrant cultures not integrating with native cultures.

This one culminated in a couple of military coups in 1987, that irrevocably changed the country in question.

The Coup erupted because although the migrants and the natives were in equal proportions (approximately), the perception was that the parliment of this country was dominated by the migrants (yes, we're dealing with a commonwealth, or former commonwealth country, but the british aren't the migrants, they merely facilitated the migration). And racial tension had been brewing for nearly 20 years by this point (the country in question was granted/declared independence from Britain in 1970). So a new constitution was put in place, which reserved the majority of seats for the natives (hey, it's their right, right?) however that was replaced a few years later as it was regarded as racist.

Of course, as always, it's a little more complicated then straight out racial tensions, however, as I understand it, it's pretty widely accepted that whichever of the possible explanations you go with, the racial tensions were at least exploited.

The country I am referring to is, of course, Fiji, and the Migrants were Indian, 1987 Coups of Fiji on Wiki.
    Colour, Class, and Custom the literature of the Fijian Coup.
    1996 Demographics of Fiji.

Apparently, Europeans aren't the only ones that have trouble integrating.

There's an Irony in here somewhere that I've alluded to, the Maori (as migrants) had trouble integrating with the Moriori (as natives).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  14. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

14.6% and apparently I'm in a smaller minority :3
    11.1% identified themselves as New Zealanders (as at 2006).

Ask a native Fijian.

So the Europeans (well, some of them anyway, don't forget it wasn't even neccessarily a majority of Europeans responsible for what you're tarring them all with) screwed up.
    New Zealanders are (in general) trying to move past it, and get on with getting ont, why can't you?

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Because the same minority of Europeans which effectively decimated Maori culture so that now the politically correct Maoris think it is progressive to not identify as Maoris are also part of the minority of Europeans who did the same in the Australias and Americas, who also played divide and rule in Africa and Asia and who continue to occupy and invade other countries to bring the backward natives up to speed, demonising their religion and culture as they have always done.

When the Europeans get past it, I'm sure we'll all be very willing to do the same.

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

The way things are going, the Europeans are going to exterminate themselves anyway, ha ha.

There was a time when the Italian ancestors raped and pillaged Africa. Now the Africans are in Italy, demanding to be allowed to live and work there.
    The Germans used to be a feisty race, now they are ... well, they aren't even an excuse. Nor will the Turks let them be.
    The Brits are fat and lazy, their success got into their heads.
    The French are going down brotherly, all equal, in their freedom.
    The rest are scraping by.

See? Karma works, it might just take some time.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah I'm a great believer in karma myself.

18. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Pure.
    Unadulterated.
    Bullshit.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The boundary of the Neolithic Era--the Late Stone Age--was not the Industrial Revolution (which is probably not what you really meant to imply), nor was it the Dawn of Civilization, which is what most people assume. It was the technology of metallurgy. The Stone Age ended when the Bronze Age began, or in a few places the Chalcolithic Era, copper metallurgy without alloying it with tin.

Generally this occurred after the technology of city-building (the literal meaning of "civilization"), and for good reason. Copper and tin ore are seldom found in close proximity, so draft animals and trade routes were needed to bring them together. In some places pre-civilized tribes traded with the nearest civilizations and acquired both the knowledge and the raw materials to launch their own Bronze Age while still living in small farming villages. This happened in northern and western Europe as Etruscan and Greek traders went exploring.

But the six first independently arising civilizations--Mesopotamia, Egypt, India, China, Olmec and Inca--had to invent metallurgy for themselves, so in their early centuries they were still in the Neolithic Era: the Stone Age. Smelting ore requires fires much hotter than any farmer is likely to consider building, never having imagined that stone can melt.

The reason that the Paradigm Shift model is key to understanding the evolution of human culture is that Paradigm Shifts, by definition, completely reshape a people's world view.
    • The Agricultural Revolution encouraged and required people to stop regarding other tribes as enemies, to learn to get along with people who had not been lifelong companions, and to stop migrating and attach themselves to a fixed location. Those of you who focus on people's attachment to the land should recognize this as a key development. It's one thing to feel a sense of belonging to a vaguely defined hunting and gathering region that you pass through on foot covering as much as twenty miles in a day. It's quite another to belong to a structure that you built with your own hands that sits in a fixed location and contains all of your family's tools, food, furnishings and keepsakes. A new world view.
    • I'm not going to reiterate the entire list of Paradigms but let's look at the Bronze Age. Until now, combat had been personal and reasonably well-matched. Everybody had a club, a spear and a knife for hunting. The bow and arrow was the only weapon that could kill at a distance, and it required great skill to be effective; if an archer on the other side of the river was aiming at you the odds were balanced. The invention of metal swords, spears and armor suddenly gave an advantage to the side with a rich enough economy that it could afford to make war into an occupation, train the largest army and craft the biggest arsenal. This completely changed the way cities regarded each other and presented every citizen with a qualitatively new kind of threat to live with. A new world view.
    • And last, let's go to the Industrial Revolution. Until now very nearly every human being had to work in the food production and distribution industry, in order to keep everybody fed. Only the nobility could dream of doing anything else for a living, much less being professional artists or traveling to distand lands for recreation. In a few hundred years agriculture was mechanized and automated, and now in the West something like 98% of the population is free to choose another career. The reason we Westerners don't identify with the land is that we are no longer tied to it by our jobs. A new world view.
    Maybe 120. That's when a major percentage of the U.S. population was engaged in occupations other than food production and distribution, and were no longer tied to the land. Because of the growth of industry (production powered by chemical energy rather than human and animal energy), this is when our country changed from a scarcity-driven economy to surplus-driven. This changed our world view in myriad details. A simple example: Christmas became a time of gift giving rather than pious celebration, because people had significant surplus wealth to spend on frivolity.
    You're being unfair to the Europeans and uncharacteristically charitable to my people. It is the Americans who are doing this. European armies participate only in order to stay on our good side, and even then many of them are thinking twice about continuing.
    They certainly did that in Latin America. The majority of the people in Mexico are proud of their Indian roots.
    You mean next to America's high-tech warrior culture?
    Kissing the land. The Irish do that too: the Blarney Stone.
    Blame the Abrahamic religions for that. They only have room for one god and he happens to be male. I prefer the term "phallocracy."
    When I was in Eastern Europe 35 years ago virtually everyone over 35 could speak German. They had all learned it at gunpoint during the Nazi occupation, so it had become a lingua franca. Younger people had studied Russian, but it was not by any means universal.
    You don't have to argue that point with the Linguistics Moderator.

I think it's primarily monotheistic religion, with its pathetic one-dimensional model of the human spirit. I know other religions have had their militant periods, but Christianity and Islam are practically defined by their need for conquest, driven by their god's mandate to evanglize the rest of us in order to save our souls from hell. I don't mean to absolve the Jews, who have engaged in plenty of warfare, but the lack of evangelism in their religion at least keeps their population small and minimizes their power to do harm. Imagine what a world with a billion Jews would be like, in addition to a billion and a half Muslims and two billion Christians!
    Isn't it apostasy for a Muslim to embrace part of another faith's spirituality?

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What other faith? There is only one God, remember who sends prophets to all people as they need them?

21. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Quite, however with the arrival of the Europeans, the Maori went very quickly from killing each other with Patu and Taiaha, to killing each other with guns and cannon.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That doesn't seem to be the way all Muslim leaders see it. Are those just the Islamic equivalent of our Religious Redneck Retards?

23. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Of course, and I always tell you how I think that colonization was wrong. What I don't get is you always turn around and come up with some reason why Arab colonization was not wrong. It's always wrong.

As for the Maoris, I'll defer to the posters here - I'm obviously not Kiwi.

IMO I think they'd do well to preserve and promote Maori culture within a greater NZ culture as it's a unique and interesting culture. I once read NZ will probably be an Asian country before not to long. Or at least majority Asian. Which got me to thinking. With the rise of China and an economy that dwarfs the USA, how Chinese values on a world stage play out? It's not as if it were Asian's who colonized NZ all those centuries ago, they have nothing to "regret". And isn't stability and unification much more important than local cultures?

NZ could have an interesting demography at an interesting time in history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.