Identity loss and suicide rates in Maoris

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by S.A.M., Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So indentured workers in Fiji were sent there by request? Odd, I always thought it was a form of labour exploitation, never mind

I don't consider assessing the effects of European colonialism as apartheid. But from your posts here, it seems to me you are embarassed about your Maori heritage and identify more with the European side of your family. I suspect that you try to distance yourself from the Maori side of you, since you seem to apologise for major European atrocities while blowing out of proportion the acts of a few Maori people. I also find the use of the term apartheid, for a European population that has imposed its language, religion and social structure almost entirely on the natives, by force and re-education [including banning language, customs and religion] as quite intriguing. You remind of the whiter than white desis in the US, who discriminate against other Indians to feel more assimilated into American society. Apparently you see the resurgence of Maori tradition as a form of discrimination against the Europeans. Noodler, it seems has a better understanding of their situation than you do.

Do you speak any Maori at home?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Have you ever been to New Zealand Sam?

I would really be quite interested to know how you became such expert on the Maori situation, that you can accuse a Maori of not understanding "their situation"?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

aint riple a full blooded maori?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Well, apparently I have a different understanding of the situation to you. At a time when Indian families were giving away their children (or eating them) because the British free trade model had failed to anticipate the effects of a then un-known climactic event (unknown at least to the british), some of them found the three and five year contracts and the gaurantees of food, and water in exhcange for labour in the sugar cane fields, to the point where some of them/many of them resigned the contracts and commited to another round when they saw the state that India was in.

Which would be fine and dandy if that was all you were doing.

Bullshit.
    I've explained to you how many times that I quite simply don't identify with my maori ancestry any more than I identify with any other part of my ancestry.

You seem to think that, because I have maori heritage, that I should throw myself head first into maori culture, embrace it completely, and cast aside my european heritage.

Get stuffed.

More bullshit, and I suspect that if I aske dyou to prove it, you'd just sidestep the issue, and make the same statement again, as you've done several times now in regards to my maori ancestry.

Tell me, Are you suggesting that Canabilism and Geoncide are minor sins now?

Does that mean that the Genocide of Palestinians by Israelies now constitutes a minor crime that people should just pretend isn't happening?

Still more bullshit. You're assessing the statusquo with tools that are over one hundred years out of date, and ignoring the fact that the opposite has been happening for over thirty years.

Uninformed bullshit.
    This is not how I feel.
    The simple truth is that I fully support the resurgence of Maori culture over the last thing. I think in many respects it, and the treaty settlements are some of the best things to happen in New Zealands history.

It's the likes or Parekura Horomia, or, to some extent, Hone Harawia who appear to peddle a divisive, apartheid approach that I don't appreciate. But, as I understand it, they represent a minority of Maori.

Funny you should say that, because it seems to me that this:

Is much the sam ething that I've been trying to emphasize - greater education, and moving forward together.

Of what relevance is this question precisely?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How many Europeans became indentured workers due to the natural catastrophe they couldn't forsee?

How many Indians ate their children? How many Britishers died of starvation?

Do you know?

What part of your Maori heritage do you identify with? Is there anything Maori about you apart from your alleged "heritage"?

9. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Yes.
    As I have previously stated there are a number of aspects of language and habit/custom within my family that I can directly identify as being part of Maori culture.

And as for my alleged heritage. Are you accusing me of being a liar now?

10. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

You're being disingenious here S.A.M,

First, you're cherrypicking and only aknowledging part of what I said.
    Second, you know full well that Europe doesn't recieve the same signal from El nino/La nina climatic events that India does.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Like what? You speak Maori? Wear the clothing, follow the religion, celebrate the festivals?

I think noodler is more Maori than you could ever be

12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Are you done editing you're post yet?

Or do you want to change it again?

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You do know that all the food in India was going to the British, right?

How many Brits in India died of starvation during the 100 years that 30 million Indians did?

I'm still waiting on figures of how many Indians ate their children, btw.

You did say:

I'd like to know how many Indians that was, and how many Brits were willing to starve rather than apparently eat their children or give them away.

14. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Do you think that this is all there is to being Maori?
    Following a religion (surprise surprise, I don't follow any religion).
    Celebrating festivals? (I would have supported Matariki becoming a national holiday).
    And as for language, seriously. What business is any of this of yours?
    And as I have stated for the umpteenth time now, there are aspects of language in my family that I can identify as being maori.

Or do you think that Tauiwi is a European word?

Fortunately for everybody.

This isn't a judgement call you get to make.
    This comment is based solely on your own misperceptions and misrepresentations of what I've said.

This post of yours, sadly, represents little more than trolling.

15. Bells Staff Member

And I am still waiting on how you have suddenly become such an expert on Maoris and what it takes to be a Maori when you have never been to the country.

I have to ask, what gives you the right to question someone else's heritage? What gives you the right to judge someone based on their heritage?

You accuse Trippy of not being a true Maori, when you have probably never even seen a Maori in your life, you have never been to the country and know nothing about Maori culture or customs, let alone be in a position to accuse someone who is a Maori of not being Maori enough.

Where do you get off making such an accusation? What kind of a racist are you?

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So are you tauiwi? What customs of yours are Maori?

Because there is no indication of anything Maori about you at all. I suspect you don't speak any Maori and hang out only with Europeans.

Thats not a problem for me btw, I don't see why not. I just think its unethical for you to pretend to be Maori when you so obviously do not consider yourself so.

17. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Yes, that is generally what happens when there is a dichotomy in the distribution of wealth under a free market model.

Right. And I'm sure that 'official' records were kept that are freely available online.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is that fancy speak for the Brits were taking all the food that Indian farmers were labouring over?
    So that no Brits died of starvation at a time when food production was sufficient in India, but food distribution was biased to the white Europeans?

Ah yet another moderator from the "science" forum who waves his hands when asked to support his claims.

No surprise there/

19. Bells Staff Member

So you are an Indian because you speak the language and hang out with Indians?

Is that all it takes?

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No its because I identify myself as an Indian. Note that Trippy does not identify himself as Maori, but as Kiwi.

Or are you also of the opinion that it is "apartheid" to explore identity loss in the Maoris as a consequence of European colonial impositions?

21. Gustav Banned Banned

trippy is like the white man in america that love parading their real or imaginary
    smidgen of cherokee blood

it is a tool utilized to assuage their guilt and justify their continued existence in america
    poor saps

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You're right. He reminds me of Buffalo Roam, who claims that the native Americans [who bottom the list of every socioeconomic indicator there is] are enjoying "the best of both worlds"

lol

23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

If that were true then there would have been no Gorta Mor now would there.

Have I or have I not explicitly stated that the british throoughly cocked during that elnino event?

Do you want me to go back and quote it?

Dear god, get a grip woman.

What point are you trying to make here? That the Europeans managed to mismanage their response to a climactic event they had never before encountered, and as a result, lots of poor people died?

Do you have any idea how many people died in floods and famine in China at the same time without British interference? Do you genuinely believe that things would have been any better without the British in India?

You making generalized claims again.
    No surprise there.
    You ignoring facts (i've backed up every other claim I've ever made in discussion with you) in pursuit of your grudge again.
    No surprise there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.