Idea: Ego-corrective surgery

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by TheGrimCreeper, Jul 23, 2004.

1. TheGrimCreeper The Boney King of Nowhere Registered Senior Member

Okay, I think we all know Freud's Ego Model, but for those who don't, here's the basics:

The unconscious mind is composed of three parts: The Id (The things you need to do, Your animal insticts: Eating, sleeping, mating, surviving), The Ego (The things you want to do: Overeating, not sharing things, etc) and the SuperEgo (What society tells you to do: etiquette, politefulness, common sense, resepect, etc.) These three parts are always in conflict with one another. In a normal human's mind, the SuperEgo is the most dominant of the three parts. It controls our wants and needs. It makes us normal to society. Occasionally there's someone with an over-dominant Ego or Id. These people usually end up being sociopaths, murderers, rapists, and insane people.

Now, what I'd like to know is whether these three parts are divided up physically somewhere in the brain. Like does the normal person have 20,000 neurons devoted to his/her Superego and 10,000 neaurons to both his/her Id and Ego? Is that anything like how it works? If so, here's my idea...

What if you could get into a known sociopath's brain and adjust his superego back to the way it should be? Would he be cured of his insanities? Would he be redeemed?

Or does this seem too much like a dystopic technology? LOL

What do you all think of this?