Ice on water level

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Hector Berlioz, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hector Berlioz Registered Senior Member

Suppose you have a glass of water with ice in it. The ice melts. so, has the water level of the glass increased, decreased, or neither?

I think it should remain constant, with very small error margins considering the increase in the volume of the water its self its mean temperature increases or decreases.

But, what do you think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Neither. Do I get a check plus?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

It decreases. An easy test of the reverse effect is to
    • Put an unopened, flimsy half-liter bottle of water in your freezer for a quick chill down
    • Forget that you have done so
    • Yell "Eureka! I have found it" when you come across it the next day, and
    • Clean up the mess made by the the exploded bottle.
    The water level decreases as the ice melts because ice is less dense than water. Freezing water makes the volume occupied by it increase.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Decrease. Water increases in volume as it freezes, becoming less dense. So the total volume of ice + water is greater than the volume of water after melting. This is why ice floats and also why things tend to break when the water they contain freezes.

Expanding during the transition liquid -> solid is rather unusual. Water is one of the few common substances that do this. More common is contraction liquid -> solid.

>>edit. Actually, if the ice is floating in the glass in the op's scenario then the liquid level might remain very close to unchanged. The water from the ice above the liquid level should about compensate for the decrease in volume of the ice melting below.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You are both wrong. Sigh.

DH is wrong because you have the ice FLOATING in water. The ice displaces it's weight in water, even if it is less dense.

kevinalm, we aren't talking about volume, but the level of the water.

9. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I caught that after I posted. See edit.

10. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Neither. I tried it once.

11. Facial Valued Senior Member

Hector Berlioz is correct. Floating ice does not cause a practical change in water level.

12. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

My only real experimentation has been with Scotch and ice.

I have discovered that the liquid vanishes before accurate measurement has been made.

13. ArtofWar Registered Senior Member

You guys are confusing Buyouncy with volume. The volume of the water is the same and does not change unless the water begiins a "change of state" which i am sure most of you already know

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. So if an ice cube already in place when the measuremnt of volume was taken, the water level would only change slightly between 2^ and 6^ Celsius. after it reaches the point of just water in th eglass the Level would be the same disregarding minor evaporation of atoms jostling each other and eventually jumping out of the glass (seriously)

14. Hector Berlioz Registered Senior Member

Good to know.

15. valich Registered Senior Member

How do you figure? kevinalm is right. Water expand when it becomes ice because of the cofiguration of the hydrogen bonds. The question asks about the volume: total volume. That would include the volume of the ice above the surface of the water line. When it melts: the total liquid water volume has to increase. Sigh.

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

imo the water level would remain the same. the part that sticks out of the water makes up for the contracting ice

17. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

if you take one cup of water... and you freeze it.. the water expands...

when it liquifys its volume is slightly less...

the point? i dont know...

but if we could get water to rapidly freeze and liquify in volume, we would have a unique power source.. since the ice, when freezing will generate tremedous pressure if it was contained in a limited space..
    thus.. a small volume of water might lift great weights... if only a few milimeters...
    but then.. when it liquifys.. that weight must fall, and if attached to a pully..
    it could generate power. (assuming it was very large and heavy.)

ice floats cause it is less dense than water.

What i want to know.. is why do you ask the question?

-MT

18. Flunch Registered Senior Member

actually the question was about the water level.

It doesn't change.

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

hector asked the question in the op.

20. Lord Insane Banned Banned

water is a very complex substance - the highest density is at 4 degrees celsius ...
    if you warm water from that temperature it actually expands very slightly ....
    if you cool it from that temperature it expands - and it especially expands when turning into ice, creating lower density - which is why ice floats ....

So theoretically , you could have an example of a glass of water with floating ice - when it is warmed up the ice will melt and the water from ice contract - but some of the ice was above the waterlevel (floating), so that counters it .... however if you warmed it up from 4 degrees celsius to lukewarm the waterlevel would rise very slightly - probably so little that you could not see it, but still risen .....

glass also tries to expand when warmed - but the crystalline nature of glass counteracts it - that is why a glass breaks when beeing put into scolding hot water and the energy of expanding is stronger than the energy in the crystalline bindings ....

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  21. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

I guess if you would calculate the energy required to "rapidly freeze and liquify in volume", and all the losses in efficiency -- transfering forces to pully... etc.. It wouldn't be practical.

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

ah insane? i believe you have it backwards

23. Lord Insane Banned Banned

Do I ?
    Well let´s see - water has is its highest density at 4 degrees celsius (actually it is precisely 3.97 degrees celsius) - water above and below that temperature has a lower density - that is a fact from my chemistry book ....

density = mass/volume

For a constant mass of water :
    the higher the density the smaller the volume..
    the lower the density the bigger the volume

water warmed above 4 degrees = lower density = bigger volume = expanding

Actually I think I´ve got it right, Leo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.