'I would like to thank God...'

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Tyler, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Tyler Registered Senior Member

I'm watching a rerun of the Billboard awards. And I'm beginning to realize how much I hate a certain 'thank you'.

Inevitably, about 70% of all artists will thank God for either: (a) giving them the gift of their music......(b) giving them the award......(c) their life in general.

There's two problems I have with this whole concept.

Problem the first: It's obvious by now that more than just the winner believes God is real and tries to be religious in some way. So why would God help them over someone else? Do the unsuccesful musicians thank God for being unsuccesful? Why would God help just one person in their dream?

Problem the second (and the one that I really have a problem with): What kind of a fucked-up, dumb-ass, egotistical, un-caring, cruel God would put out an effort to help some idiot with an 8th grade education make millions of dollars in music but not get off his fat ass to help 6 million Jews survive and millions more not suffer one of the worst tragedies ever? When the classic beginner atheistic arguement is presented to a theist about 'why didn't God help people in the Holocaust/Spet 11th/War...' the classic rebutal (and a fitting one) is that God gives us free wil and won't intervene.....But he'll help Janet Jackson make a million pop songs that say the same thing?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

They have billboard awards???????

Also when sports people say it. I love it when they say "we won because we prayed" but the other team probally prayed too.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

This has to be the first law of Athiesm. I'm so sick and f*cking tired of anyone thanking god for anything, unless it's just used in an expression, like take for instance:

"Oh thank god these cheese doodles haven't been poisoned by the scratchy guy on the other side of that table over there."

But saying something like:

"We knew that our lord in heaven was on our side throughout this entire fiasco, that he would choose us above all others etc etc..."

....is just total bullshit. Maybe we should get Northwind in here, and he could drop a few anvils on these uncultured wenches and male harlots....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ratbat Hippie of Darkness Registered Senior Member

I would like to Thank Satan, for making my Mom & Dad Horny so they could bring me into this pathetic World.

Happy now, Doc?
    he-he-he

8. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

HEhehe okay remind me never to invite any of you to the golden globes... you know, of course If I was ever invited myself, and happened to have a spare ticket, and at the same time I would think to ask a complete stranger from god knows where. Take that back, from Zeus knows where.

I think it demonstrates these so called 'artists' (which is a crock of shit seeing as though they dont even write their own peices half the time) and what a romanatcised world they live in, where fairies bring them their toast, and the world is a place of fairy floss and picadillies.

9. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I don't see a huge problem in not writing the stuff you sing.

In the early days, Elvis and artists like him recorded songs that were lying around. They wanted to tribute to the song, or let people hear their version of it.

That is of course a different thing than being nothing more than a marketing product

10. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

Well i do. Im sick of 'celebrities' being praised for a song they only sing. If thats what they're happy doing then go do Karaoke. I personally apprecaite an artist who feel and know what their song is about. SOmwone who has felt the motions of theor song, and will consequently mean a lot more when they are praised for it.

11. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Just listen to Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Leonard Cohen,... they KNOW what they are singing about.

But it all depends on what you expect from music, and what kind of music it is.

Most classic musicians do little more than playing pieces that have been around for centuries. Still, they can be full of emotion.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what about live and creed?

B\W if you are thanking god for being here in the first place you are not strange, if there is a god he DID make you

13. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I don't know Live and Creed well enough.

I agree with your post.

14. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

Umm yeah, but I dont belive they will ever feel what the composer felt at the time they wrote it. And to recreate that would be quite a feet. But never teh less, to try to understand what they felt, or even create your own feeling is a substitute i spose. But I wont belive that Briteny Spears gives a shit about what she is singing about abprt from how much $$ it brings for her. Sorry, i wont budge on that. But I like hip hop, REAL hip hop! that has 'soul' for me. By that i mean, feeeling. Something emotive.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i posted this somewhere else but one of live's songs is called lightning crashes, its about a miscarage and the pain that goes with that (which has to be one of the worst things EVER)

Creed have a song called wash away those years, which is about rape

both are really heart felt songs

16. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

And I read that somewhere else Ashguard!

I'll try to find these songs.

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

asHguard?

lightning crashes is off the "throwing copper" CD (best CD EVER) and wash away these years is from "human clay"

18. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I am sorry for misspelling your name. I for one like it if someone writes my name correct: an A, a 4, an E and then the other letters in lowercase

Thanks for the exact references, but I meant that I was goint to try to find the songs by asking my friends. I do not want to buy it right away, since cds are so expensive. I also don't want to download them.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

well i could send you "wash away those years" because i have that one on MP3 but i only have the other on CD

if you want it i will try to email it to you

20. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Hmmm... a hotmail adress can only hold 2mb at most, so it would have to be a very low sampling rate.

Just for your information (and not for my bennefit

) you do know that it is very easy to convert a cd track to an mp3, don't you?

Hey, thanks for the offer!

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

actully i have been trying for MONTHS to find a program to do it

all i could find were ones that went MP3-CD or did nothing at all

22. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

http://www.mgshareware.com/

here you can find freeripmp3. It is easy to use. It is a bit slow.

http://www.cdngo.com/

here you can find cd en go suite. It has more options and it is faster. But sometimes it fails to do it's job. That's why I keep freeripmp3.

Now, when you want to burn mp3s as tracks on an audio cd, you need to convert them to wav. In case you have no program to do this :

http://www.mediamatrixes.com/

I use the third one in the list.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2002
  23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

thank you