I want my incandescent bulb!

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Syzygys, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Pronatalist Registered Senior Member

The problem I see with that theory, is that I have no intention of replacing the tube fixtures that came with my house. There's that old engineering principle, "If it aint broke, don't fix it."

I may not be buying any more tube fixtures?, but so far I've kept all the ones that came with my house. I have several in my basement, and in a few other places.

But I've taken a liking to 3-bulb INCANDESCENT fixtures, because they accept CFLs, which are easy to swap out, whenever they don't light for whatever reason. No more wondering how to replace a non-working florescent ballast.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

What's all this chit-chat about light bulbs?
    Don't you people have any operations to talk about?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

People who talk about cars obsessively are called petrol heads.
    What do you call a person who talks incessantly about light bulbs?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Bulbhead?

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Over here we just call them "normal Americans." Besides, we call the stuff "gas" and I don't hink "gas head" would catch on.

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It is high science, you wouldn't understand, please move on.

10. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

Did you guys ever see the news a while back about a very old bulb? It was at a fire station and they had a bulb from around 1900 -1915.The bulb is still working normally just like the day it was screwed in the socket.It was a mystery no one has the answer to.Finally when the fire station moved into a new building they didnt want to unscrew the bulb out of the socket for fear the bulb would break or stop working,so they cut the electriclal line about 3 feet away from the bulb. The station was happy when they reinstalled the cord/bulb at the new location and the bulb re-lit again.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. superstring01 Moderator

"Motorhead" is a common term in the Midwest (my dad and older sister are motorheads). It mostly applies to those who obsess with cars made before the 90's, but I'm sure there are those who obsess with the modern stuff too.

~String

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

You mean this?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  13. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

You are insane.
    :blbl:

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I told you to stay away when adults discuss serious matters.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Seriously captain, lately your posts have been detoriated a lot. You need a long, well deserved break. I say 2 months would do it...

15. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Maybe I've misjudged the tone.
    I won't interrupt again.

16. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Alright, a confession:

I might have judged the issue a bit too quickly. Today out of sheer curiosity I decided to take 2 pictures of the 2 bulbs' lights, and I had to realize that the new bulb has a warm up period. Once it has been on for 20-30 seconds its light is just as bright as the old ones, or even brighter. I don't know how I haven't noticed this until now, nevertheless let's make the record straight.

Since it is in the bathroom (extra moisture) and in the ceiling (extra heat) the lifetime still can be an issue. The old bulbs didn't last too long for sure...

17. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Yes, and we are at the beginning of a new phase. Over time, the technology for the newer bulbs will get better and the price will come down.

One day using incandenscents will be like using a horse buggy.

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Why are't mini fluorescent bulbs also made in a flat spiral shape, like a coil of plasticine, so that they can be fitted flat to the ceiling, or in a mounted fitment, as well as in the traditional bulb shape projecting down? Kitchen lights are usually the former type.

19. kmguru Staff Member

Parhaps because it will be fragile in packing and shipping. I have one that says it is equivalet to 150 Watt that is spiral kind but still protruding about 2 inches.

20. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

I swear I did see a flat spiral bulb somewhere,either on tv or online.If I see this again I'll be sure to post back.Now where in the hell did I see this bulb?

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

There must be a good reason for it, possibly the one you have suggested, or alternatively some problem with making glass into this shape.
    If I had the option, I would buy flat spiral bulbs. I find the projecting spiral a little ugly, and the downward looped bulbs are horrible.

22. kmguru Staff Member

I think, the next light system would be LED and HID (High Intensity Discharge) lamps. I think Incandescent bulbs produce 17 lumen per watt while HID lamps produce 90 to 100 lumen per watt. Pure xenon short-arc lamps have a "near daylight" spectrum. HID lamps are now used in cars and China is the largest producer where prices have dropped from $500 a pair to about $105 a pair. Perhaps someday, it will be cheaper for home use and grow plants indoors.

I have used commercial HID lamps for plant protection when we bring the potted plants indoors to the garage in the winter time. I have set up a timer that turns on at mid-night and goes off in the morning so that no one is exposed to the UV radiation.

23. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Probably LEDs, if they can work out the issues they're having with droop.

CFLs are a nice step forward, but too much mercury.