I think I found something big....

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Andrech, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Andrech Registered Member

Hey Sciforum community,

I have been siting on this for about a week now debating whether to try to write a scientific paper, book or whether to just try to go public, because if I am right, I found the elusive comet impact crater that scientists believe ended the pleistocene era but have been unable to find.

Well 2 of them to be exact and they both make chicxulub look small, again IF I am right. Its a pretty audacious claim I know and this is my first time posting on here so I have no idea what kinda of reaction I will get on a public forum.

I tried the earth sciences department of my local university and was met with fierce skepticism and an unwillingness to let me present my evidence. So I am at a loss. I would really like to confirm with a geologist first before I just so boldly "announce" that I found it so if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to drop names.

I will not blurt out the coordinates here but if enough people are interested, I will post it on my website.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I'm not sure whether there are any geologists here. I know there are a few physicists.

Of course I'm interested in any evidence you have, and I'm sure the scientific community will be too if your evidence is solid.

If you're planning to publish on your website, post a link here. I'd like to take a look. (Note: you can't post links until you have 20 posts, but if you post the URL I'll link it up so others can take a look.)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

sounds good

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Andrech Registered Member

I was really unsure which section to post this in, the crater itself belongs with earth sciences, the comet that caused it was astronomy, but the most startling revelation was its impact (no pun) on evolution, most notably being our own.

8. milkweed Valued Senior Member

Did you explore the site or are you using google maps?

People who have reported impacts and had it confirmed (via google maps as one example) have been given credit for the discovery. You would greatly improve your chances of being given credit by posting the site as many DATED public places rather than hiding the info and giving it to people face to face.

I can understand the hesitation, but what makes more sense? a hand scribbled notebook or a networked site with date/timestamps controlled by people you have no influence over and who have never been noted for ripping off discoveries (though I dont know if any credible new discoveries have been posted here first).

So how about a little bit of a clue, which continent or sea?

9. Andrech Registered Member

Thank milkweek, part of the reason I came here was that it was dated and public. Though I used google earth initially, I switched to bathometric maps for more detail of the area. Id give you a hint but if were to say check here with google earth, you might just find it so be patient, I cant hold it in much longer.

10. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

This probably was the best choice of sub-forum.

11. WillNever Valued Senior Member

What do you mean the university was unwilling to let you present your evidence? Like, someone would walk out of the room when you tried to tell them? Or is that another way of saying "they thought the evidence I did have was gar-bazsche."

Either way, either tell us what you're talking about + evidence, or don't.

12. DRZion Theoretical Experimentalist Valued Senior Member

I think I found something big too.. in my pants!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

... unfortunately, it is also 'impacted'. xD

Anyways, hold it in, for your own good. You will get more credit if you publish it yourself. Check out-
    http://www.nature.com/authors/submit_manuscript.html
    you can publish stuff through the internet too.

It would be ideal if you found a confidante until you get it published. Just for peace of mind.
    For starters- how big is the crater?

13. Andrech Registered Member

The evidence I had was on a USB stick that I only ask he stick into a computer. Instead he pointed at his 1:1000000 scale map of the area and told me how it was impossible.

If I am right the larger one is ~500 km and the smaller one is ~250 km in diameter.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  14. WillNever Valued Senior Member

What was the nature of the evidence, though? Was it just the coordinates?

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Yeah... you need to talk evidence with someone. You'll need an actual scientist on here - maybe James would be best. Ethical, a stickler for honesty. I'm no good: too busy, and also evil a little. But in all seriousness, get some external peer review on the idea from a source you can trust. I got scammed for an article back in 2003, so it does happen.

16. DRZion Theoretical Experimentalist Valued Senior Member

A crater 250 kilometers across has been found in Canada, but it is estimated at 1.8 billion years, way earlier than the Pleistocene ended.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudbury_Basin
    Another crater, this one much larger at 500 km is found beneath antarctic ice, and is between 100 and 500 millions years old.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilkes_Land_crater

However,
    "Recent evidence suggests that the impactor [chicxulub] may have been a piece of a much larger asteroid that broke up in a collision in distant space more than 160 million years ago."
    It would be awesome if this was what you found, and you could prove it with some kind of comparative mineral test (???).

GeoffP- what happened to your article?

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, a guy reviewed it for a journal, rejected it, and then lifted the three principle ideas...and the order in which they occurred in the fucking Discussion...and then applied them to a data set he had hanging around, which his retarded wife analyzed wrongly using a low-power non-hypothesis driven approach instead of the obvious choice of binary modeling. Because she is retarded. He got it published on a couple of bad reviewers, apparently.

That's okay, though, because I cut his legs out from under him on his sine qua non article about four years ago. I don't bother with him now, but you know, perhaps it's time to do him some damage again. Fucking cock.

18. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I know nothing of geology, but I would be very interested to see more!

19. Andrech Registered Member

@DRzion,

Good try, but those arent mine, mine overlap

. My evidence are visible circlular outlines, terraced sides and central upheavals and something else even more suprising...

but im holding on to that tidbit.

Not trying to tease but I need 20 posts to post a link

20. Andrech Registered Member

Yesterday, I sent my findings to two geologists that specialize in 'asteroid' impacts, Fernando Claudín and Kord Ernstson. Even tho its my contention that this was a comet impact, I believe they are more than qualified to adjudicate. Just awaiting thier reply.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  21. milkweed Valued Senior Member

OK took me a bit of searching but I found some links that might help some.

Heres a DB of known impacts:

http://www.unb.ca/passc/ImpactDatabase/index.html

Heres a story about someone who did find an impact via GoogleEarth:

http://www.astroseti.org/impacts.php

During a discussion of GE and impacts, someone who thought he found a massive one was pointed to elevation maps which indicated what he was seeing was not a depression, but an uplift of the continent itself via plate movements/collision. So you may be able to find additional evidence via topo maps.

22. Andrech Registered Member

Yes milkweed I read that article and checked that database. I already sent a mail yesterday to the 2 geologists that the article mentions, but david morrisson at nasa has been harder to track down, much to my dismay. Trust me im exhausted im my search.

My maps are bathometric in nature and my field of expertise is bathometric and land surveying by the way so I didnt misinterpet to the best of my knowledge. Id rather not look the fool to tell you the truth.

Thanks alot for the research though, Its appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  23. milkweed Valued Senior Member

Yeah, It looks like I was just finishing up my post when you hit submit reply.

While were waiting for the results, maybe you can post some of the reference links you used so other people with an interest can read up a bit.

Doesnt matter that you cant post actual links yet. Anyone can add www to the front of a posted address. Or maybe a mod will edit them for you.