I quit!

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by leopold, May 19, 2007.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

smoking that is.
    i've been diagnosed with emphysema and must quit.
    i've smoked for 41 years and i'm going cold turkey.
    i have a will of cast iron and i'm whipping this addiction into submission.

wish me luck people.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Creative Fossil Banned Banned

drat- got my hopes up then!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Meanwhile, 41 yrs!! You are a million yrs old. I always had you down as being 25. How did that happen?

Good luck and sorry to hear about the diagnosis.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Good luck! But, I get the impression luck isn't what you'll need.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I quit about 4 years ago, I said to myself I don't care how shitty things get it will only be a month and I will be coming out the other side. If it got to bad I would just go to bed.

8. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Sorry to hear you're stopping for health reasons, but you're doing the right thing. Well done.

You'll feel the benefits soon enough.

If you have the time, I recommend you try to do exercise when you get cravings for ciggies. It makes them go away and you get fit. Drink a lot of water to try to suppress your cravings for food, too. If you do those two things, it'll be a breeze and you'll be feeling much better in no time.

I need to give up again, due to some dental surgery. It's summer and I want to be in my prime, too. Healthy, toned and happy to take my shirt off on a beach

Well done in taking the first step. You'll be feeling great in no time.

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Leopold99, be well in your attempt to be well.

10. orcot Valued Senior Member

I've started second hand smoking since I'm with my girlfriend... I'm going to have to work out how I can stop that

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

When I quit some years ago, I didn't want to spend money on all that quiting paraphernalia but I found the following to be easiest:

In England they had a brand that had extremely low tar and low nicotine, which I smoked for a month or two before trying to quit. This meant when I actually did try to stop, the nicotine was no longer a factor. I never actually felt like I needed a cigarette, however I did find I had a psychological ailment.

The ailment was I felt like I wanted to do something every 5-10 minutes and I found it was pretty much due to when you smoking you move the cigarette to your mouth with your hand. To combat this I realized that it could be possible to purchase one of those inhalers they have, however they have nicotine in and I was already outside of those cravings.

So I got one of those thick straws you have at Fastfood restaurants for milkshakes and cut it into a few pieces the same length of a cigarette. Everytime I felt the anxiety of not being able to do something like smoke, I would just suck air through the piece of straw.

(I guess it worked a bit like how some people with anxieties use a brown paper bag to breath in)

Anyhow after a while, the knowledge that I was just breathing unpolluted air with no nicotine eventually sunk in, that and the realization that sucking a straw might of looked a little funny.

Still it worked and I realise now just how much a disgusting habit it really was. I mean the usual list is: Yellowing of teeth, yellowing of fingers, Changes in Mucus production (Some people spit from it), yellowing of skin in general (After all the blood flows round the body, contaminated air intake can make its way into the flow), Smelling like an ashtray and this is before bringing into consideration all the health related issues.

You'll find that Ex-Smokers will state those facts more to you than anyone else, thats because they notice the difference by becoming an ex-smoker over someone thats never smoked.

12. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Dear Leo

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis

I wish you the best of luck in you attempts to quite smoking.

I will pray for your suscess.

I smoke and have been trying to stop for many years and still havent been able to.

The governemtns who allow the selling of cigarettes are to blame here as they are the biggest drug deals on the street.

I can buy cigarettes from more places on my drive to work then i can Paracetonal or bread. There is surely soemething wrong there.

I am seriously thinking about sueing the givernemnt for abuse of my human rights.

best of luck Leo.

~~~~~~~~~~
    take care
    zak

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

go for it Leo!

Saw my father die a horrible death with prolonged agony because of smoking. I wouldn't wish that on anyone except Bush!

14. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i personally believe that "smoking deaths" are the result of a personal lifestyle choice.

smoking may cause cancer, but you didnt see such widespread sickness from it until the last 50 years or so.

native americans didnt get cancer from smoking, because they didnt pump the tobacco full of chemicals and shit.

its a matter of being healthy in all aspects of your life, not just your lungs.

15. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Good luck with the effort Leopold. I am confident you can do it. (After all someone who is so damn stubborn in arguing against abiogenesis must be stubborn enough to quit smoking!)

16. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Good luck Leo, I hope u get well soon.

17. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

good luck, i remember giving up smoking, it was like beating up a small child.

peace.

18. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

You mean, enjoyable?

19. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Tough break man, I've been smoking about the same length of time and though my lungs and arteries are clear, I've really got to stop, I can feel them sapping my energy.

20. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

perhaps you think low of me... leo..

well... i quit smoking cold turkey...

and IF i can do it, then certainly you can do it.

i offer this advice.

learn to hate tobacco with every fiber of your body.

i do... i hate it.. and never again will i allow myself to have thought of love or like for that filthy plant.

it is a chemical lie... one that is easy to say... dont do it.

hate tobacco, and love that feeling of withdrawl.

for that feeling is a chemical stress on your own body chemistry forcing your body to start making its own nicotine... and its a good thing, and the only thing that can free you.... when you body chemistry re-establishes full production...

over the first 3 months... withdrawls will slowly drop... until you think you are free... but then the spiking urges start... strong and growing weaker over then next 6 months..

I found complete freedom from nicotine addiction after 9 months.

learn to hate it, and battle it everyday.

and do it with a smile, because you are stronger than any chemical addiction.

take pride in that strength every second of everyday.

and never accept failure.. because that will prove you are scum and weak.

you cant let that happen.

-MT

21. draqon Banned Banned

wish cancer was not present

22. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

damn straight i took the candy aswell,

peace

23. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i beat up my smoking addiction, it was my opponent, in a fight to the death,

i snapped my cigs in half and then stamped on them, then i gave in and went and got some more from the shop, then before i opened the packet i snapped the box in half and stamped on them.

then i done it again a few hours later and got some more fromt he shop, and so i smashed that box up aswell before it was open,

then i thought to myself, hey this is a waste of fucking money im not buying anymore, because i didnt let myself smoke them, i didnt think about it i just beat them up.

and it works trust me. pound those mother fuckers into dust.

peace