I need help

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Araya, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Araya Registered Member

i was wondering if i could attain enlightenment through meditation since i'm a Buddhist.

i'm a Buddhist since young and go to the temple with my family once every few months.However i am not the type believe in abstinence and drank alcohol once every few months(mixed with water of course! just to relax while surfing the web). And i also masturbate occasionally since i believe it is a natural urge of humans.

Bad things aside,i do kind deeds for nothing more just to see the smiles of others and my pride(bad?) prevents me from lying or committing any crimes whatsoever. i also try to improve myself physically by training daily.

I believe that by polishing myself mentally and physically i can reach a higher form than i am now.but i do give in to lust and alcohol once in a while too. So,as a Buddhist am i screwed or will i achieve a higher form?

If you're wondering about my age,i'm in my late teens

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I suggest you go and talk to a Buddhist monk within your tradition of Buddhism (such as at the temple you go to).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I did all those things and more. While avoiding them will help bring about a contemplative state, they do not prevent the realization. There is no higher form. Indeed, in thinking that enlightenment is something other than who you are right now, you place it beyond reach. It's like going around looking for your glasses while they are on your face.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Don't listen to her. She will keep you in your personal prison of influence . Surfing the net is good and comes from higher sources. Learn about the world . That guy that influenced the Dali Lama to be more worldly He lives right here in My little city. You think that that should have not been ? You have done nothing bad . Drinking a little alcohol is good for you . It is not bad . Abusive use of Alcohol is terribly bad . How strong is your will? That is the question . Can you not drink ?

8. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I read a book, "stumbling towards enlightenment." In it the author describes having trouble getting a chant right. Her Dharma instructor said " Don't worry, you have ten thousand lifetimes to get it right."

So meditate hard, work hard, but relax. You'll have all the time you need.
    Or if you want to look at it in a more negative way, you get to keep coming back HERE until you get it right!

9. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Enlightenment sounds like a lofty goal. It also does not sound like a very fun lifestyle. Once enlightened would you be like a wise man speaking in riddles.

If you wish to explore meditation. There are often retreats in many parts of the country that are 100% free. In fact; It is a rule that you are not allowed to give them any money until you have completed at least 1 retreat.

These places are called ,
    Vipassana Centers

They will have very harsh rules. A typical retreat is for about 10 days. You are not supposed to bring cell phones, speak to people, bring food, smoke, and a myriad of other harsh rules. The purpose of the retreat though is many, many hours meditating.

Here is some areas where the courses are offered. Hopefully you can find one near you.
    http://www.dhamma.org/en/bycountry/na/

copied from one of their websites,
    here are some rules
    and rigorous meditation schedules,
    Now WARNING: That is some serious meditation time. If you add it all up it is like 9 hours a day of meditating. 1 Hour would make me crazy.

Anyways; If you are serious about meditation, here is a way for you to learn to do it, and it is 100% free.

Imagine a free 10 day vacation retreat.. Well here you go.. Just there are no jetski rentals here.

10. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

@ Araya
    Are you posting from a Buddhism-dominated nation? What branch of Buddhism are we discussing?

Do you feel comfortable taking these questions to any of the monks in the temple?

Perhaps you should get more involved with the temple activities and/or meditate more at home? Daily meditation never hurt anyone *looks sheepish*.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Sad to say i have done that more than once, usually when i switch from wearing contacts back to glasses so i get used to waking up able to see. it is SOOOO irritating when i realise what im doing

12. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Since I adopted the five precepts I've found that I don't drink any longer. I still masturbate occasionally though, but don't really see it as a huge problem since I'm not a monastic.

No, I don't think that you are screwed at all. Far from it. Your transgressions, if we can call them that, sound awfully minor to me. The fact that you aren't comfortable with them might be a good sign, provided that you aren't feeling morbid guilt or beating yourself up unnecessarily.

One problem with drinking is that it clouds your mind and would interfere with meditation if you tried to meditate under the influence. So don't do that. It might not be harmful, but it wouldn't be very effective either.

Another problem with drinking arises with masturbation too. It's the problem that arises when you become dependent on having to satisfy these desires in order to keep from suffering. In that case, it isn't the behavior that's the problem so much as it's your psychological dependence on the behavior.

But don't be too hard on yourself. Sex-drives are hard-wired into human beings and will still be present for all but the most evolved beings.

Perhaps the best way to approach this is not to condemn yourself or wallow in feeling guilty. Just dispassionately observe what's happening in your life and notice when problematic situations arise. You should expect them, since they are inevitably going to arise for everyone who isn't already a Buddha. When they appear, you might decide that you should be doing something else instead.

Just be mindful of what's happening and gently keep steering yourself back on course whenever you feel like it's necessary.

One problem that many teenagers encounter is that they spend an awful lot of time thinking about themselves. (Actually everyone does that, not just teenagers.) It might help to become aware of when it's happening, and if you find yourself obsessing about yourself, then just gently, calmly and non-judgementally move your attention towards thinking about something else that isn't you.

Be confident that you aren't alone. Everybody faces these kind of challenges. And don't worry that you've somehow screwed yourself as a Buddhist. What you're experiencing is precisely what good Buddhist practice is.

Finally, I agree with Signal that you probably should talk to the people at your temple and ask for their advice.

13. murdoch Simply Psychic! Registered Senior Member

No, you are not screwed totally. However to attain enlightenment you will need to forgo your wrongs as well. You might feel strong urge to leave those bad habits once you will come near to that level. Doing meditation regularly with concentration will help you move along your path. Until than enjoy teen habits!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

Be aware. Aware of yourself, your feelings, your thoughts (to begin with). How do you want to represent yourself to yourself and others? Do that. When you continually choose to be the highest version of you that you can imagine, you are living a purposeful life of growth and creation.

15. Pineal Banned Banned

I think you are already enlightened but haven't noticed.