I need a scientist....

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by DeeCee, Feb 10, 2003.

1. ferrettsyl Registered Member

Result

I stumbled across this. I think a study I conducted recently is highly relevant: http : // abpotato.com / claimtest / report.php

(Sorry I can't make it a link, as I just registered to post this. Just type it in without spaces.)

I realize this thread was posted years ago, however as I just stumbled across it today, I can probably assume other people are doing the same.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

I said Turnip So I guess I am special.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictotem Registered Senior Member

I think people choose carrot because this >>>>>>> subliminally suggests carrot in their brains.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. elte Valued Senior Member

I thought of squash. It along with carrot has 6 letters. I wonder if that could be a factor.

8. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Oh maybe so. I hadn't thought of that. You're probably right. Texting alone probably merges some of our speech cortex with our spatial processing, so I wouldn't be surprised if we are subconsciously fitting words into boxes of up to, say, 8 or 9 letters.

I was thinking maybe the phonemes in 6666.... were acting as a prompt:
    sksksksksksksks.... next: k (carrot, cucumber, cauliflower...)
    or
    sksksksksksksk.... next: s (are there any?)

If this is what's going on, anything starting in an s or k may be explained, and yours is the hybrid, having both, probably the best answer, but not highly favored among the population, because its not as widely consumed and has the unusual diphthongs "squ" and "sh", which are almost hard to pronounce.

If I am correct, elte, on my scale I would rank you high in mental acuity, speech, and speech-spatial correlation (whatever that means!), but also, that you are a cut above the average, and eating healthyn too! All this from a squash? Of course not! I'm biased, noting your posts are always reflecting this kind of intellect.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I actually came up with turnip and came to post it as something no one would likely think of. But lo and behold the guy above says "turnip". Crazy, huh?

I think in my case I was already wondering what would "turn up", though I don't recall forming those exact words.

Funny, too, is that this thread is really old. I think the title evokes a job posting!

9. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Out of curiosity I went back over the thread and a majority of people said
    carrot, cucumber, or corn (k)

and a couple of them said
    celery (s)

so probably the phoneme pattern sksksksksks is evoking these answers

10. elte Valued Senior Member

Aqueous Id, that is mighty thoughtful and gracious. I really appreciate it.

Your explanation seems better than mine because an aural-based influence probably would affect the subconscious more than an analytical-based one.

Even though turnip has 6 letters, too, I believe your idea is much more plausible. You most definitely have the intellectual goods. I get a lot out of reading your posts!

Turnip is more solidly in the vegetable category, too, so it was a very good choice indeed. And your sixth sense is right-on, for, I have been eating squash daily. Squash is closer to a fruit because it is related enough to watermelon that a fairly common practice has been to graft watermelon plants onto squash root systems. Unfortunately, although that method does give the plant some extra disease resistance, researchers have determined that the resulting watermelons have a much greater tendency to contain pesticides.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120125101952.htm

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

i had 2 vegetables in mind.
    radishes and onions.

2% of the population? should i feel honored?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  12. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I chose a carrot.

13. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

Or the number "6" is written with a simple counterclockwise curl, as is the letter "C". I wonder about answers from people who speak other languages.

Regarding fruits and vegetables, I hate to get technical here, but a vegetable is any edible part of a plant, which includes:
    roots (eg, carrots),
    stems (eg, celery),
    leaves (eg, spinach),
    flowers (eg, broccoli),
    fruits (eg, squash),
    seeds (eg, beans),
    nuts (eg, pecans), etc.

Fruits are the edible plant structure of a mature ovary of a flowering plant — that is, those vegetables that contain seeds (eg, tomatoes, pumpkins, apples, cherries, string beans, etc).

14. HectorDecimal Registered Senior Member

I thought of asparagus... but I use Nutra Sweet so my brain probably looks like one by now

15. orcot Valued Senior Member

I'm from belgium and afther saying zes (6) a couple of types my vegetable choise was wortel (carrots)