I made a mistake :(

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Michael, Mar 5, 2011.

1. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

@ S.A.M.
    If you eat vendor food in Mumbai, you likely do have some very interesting and exotic (to us) intestinal flora...

Since I have been growing spray free vegetables (and chickweed), I have been eating said veggies unwashed and freshly cut from the planting beds. Just checked for insects before chopping.

I'm doing this deliberately so that I can get a more varied array of gut bugs.

Salmonella isn't that bad though-last time I had it was from handling an injured turtle...a few days of mudbutt, no more.

What I hate is when I get the two exits no waiting...when it's already coming out the bottom explosively, and you realize it's about to come out the top too, and the garbage can is full...well, you just end up with a mess everywhere, which you hope you don't pass out in.
    It's nice to be able to collapse on a cool bathroom floor without it being all slimy.
    Chinese buffets aren't my friends at all.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yes, if you don't build immunity you can succumb to any of the m.o. that are normally present in food. Especially if your choice of meals veers on the sanitised and packaged. Even yoghurt for instance. Commercial yoghurt is pasteurised and the active organisms are killed in them. I usually set yoghurt at home in an earthern pot. Another problem could be that if you habitually eat a low fiber diet you tend to "react" to any high fiber food adversely, showing symptoms similar to food poisoning. You should have at least 2 servings of fresh vegetables and one serving of fruit a day. Most westerners also eat insufficient soluble fiber which also leads to similar effects [beans, lentils, pulses]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

We make it from scratch. The kids refuse to eat store bought as, well, it's nasty (too much sauce, cheese and way wayyy too much on it).

So much nicer to make it from scratch. The dough is easy and you get to decide exactly what goes on it and how much.

Baby Bocochino cheese with lots of mushrooms and thinly sliced salami is a favourite with the kids..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And with us as well.. Although I like to add onions, sundried tomato and fresh basil to it.. way wayyy yummy!

Mmmmm pizza..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

As it happens, I have one handy, right here. It must have been prepared earlier.

8. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Never combine pasta with anti-pasta.

9. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Gastroenteritis is usually caused by a virus anyway.

And the cause may have been food he had earlier in the day or the day before, and either he or someone else who touched it didn't wash their hands.

10. Lilalena Registered Senior Member

This happened to me some years ago, and it turned out I had become allergic to the kind of cheese that fast food chains use, except for the kind used by Subway.

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Incidentally Vegetarians can actually be prone to a form of food poisoning brought on if their food was contaminated by Meat preparation being done in the same area. This is caused by the fact that Vegetarians will have an absence of a variant of bacteria in the intestine that meat eaters have. (The bacteria is responsible for creating B12 which Vegetarians are deficient in.)

To be honest "Fastfood" is always likely to be dodgy, (especially Kebab places) especially if they are dealing in a variety of different meats or dairy products. It's always a good idea to give Mayo a wide birth unless it's absolutely fresh.

As for Pizza poisoning, if it wasn't the cheese (which wouldn't only likely cause an effect if you are lactose intolerant) then the culprit was likely any meat topping you might of had, this could be down to the age of the meat, the quality of the meat or if the guy that prepared it hadn't washed his hands and had a particular bacteria strain (perhaps even diarrhoea himself)

12. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Porridge is a great source of soulable fibre, and is banal enough to leave most peoples' gut unmolested. I usually put a dollop of local honey in mine as it increases ones' immune system due to the pollen in it.

I've always found slaughterhouses to be pretty disgusting places and generally wash any meat before preparing it. Out here in the country we often get rabbits and pheasants that have been run down. I used to shoot, but with my bones being quite bad, I can't be bothered lugging a rifle around the countryside anymore. Although duck shot and roasted over a campfire takes some beating.

13. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

If the bacteria in question have already produced an enterotoxin, the toxin elicits food poisoning symptoms in four hours or less. There are several toxin-producing bacteria that can contaminate food.

14. spanglo Registered Senior Member

The OP could have Gluten sensitivity.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Escheria coli bacteria are a common cause of gastroenteritis.

16. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

/scratches head.

That's when it tastes the best, isn't it?
    I mean where was this chili for three days,on the dashboard of your car?

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

My wife and I both came down with the symptoms--pain and diarrhea--about six hours after eating at Colonel Sanders, and they continued for about 24 hours more. I sent KFC a polite letter asking for reimbursement for the lost wages plus the cost of the chicken, and included the receipt. We got a response so fast that the flap on our mailbox still hasn't stopped spinning. They sent a check for the exact amount I requested, and on the back above the space for endorsement it included language stating that our acceptance of the money comprised express agreement with the terms of the settlement and that we thereby relinquished any claim to future damages. They must have made a lot of people sick that night.

In tropical areas, amoebic dysentery is the most common cause of food poisoning. My wife caught it twice in one trip to Mexico; I got it once in a separate trip without her. In all three cases we were able to trace our eating pattern back to the offending meal made with tap water (slapping our foreheads for being so inattentive) and symptoms started within four to six hours. I was able to medicate mine with clioquinol (trademark Enterovioforma), but she had to be hospitalized both times. It was interesting to discover that the Mexican health care system was utterly superb--and not just for tourists.
    I once caught campylobacter and we never did figure out where it came from. That was nasty, a one-week course of antibiotics.
    These days in the USA plenty of yogurt is marketed with active cultures. Doctors prescribe it if you've taken a course of antibiotics that killed off your intestinal flora, although they will send you out for lactobacillus capsules if it was a heavy dose. Many of us routinely give yogurt to our dogs, since commercial dog food is loaded up with preservatives that kill off the culture in their pathetically small gut, not to mention the antibiotics that all factory-farmed meat its saturated with in the USA. Dog stool will kill the nitrogen-fixing bacteria in your lawn and sterilize the soil so nothing will grow but weeds, so you should never leave it there to soak in. This is why dogs eat stool, they're desperate to replenish their flora. Although to be fair all canids do that, they're almost the only predators who eat the intestines of their prey including the contents, and will even scavenge the intestines other predators leave behind. Their guts are so short, and their body chemistry so hostile to bacteria, that food passes through too quickly to rot.

18. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

My body doesn't handle dairy products particularly well. But every once in a while I'll gorge on something that contains dairy because it's worth it to have ice cream.

19. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

My blood relatives and I have had long and "arduous" experiences with "lactose intolerance" (aka lactase deficiency), and I know the reaction is anywhere from an hour to a day or so. Lactase deficiency can cause bloating, cramps and diarrhea, but as far as the people I know who have it, not nausea or vomiting. And, apparently, the body can begin to produce lactase again (thus not allowing the adverse reactions) because that's what happened to me.

20. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Dairy products have never made me vomit, but a bowl of ice cream or a bagel with cream cheese will result in me becoming close friends with the toilet for the next few hours. :shrug:

21. Ellie Banned Banned

Dominoes is actually pretty good, though too salty for my own personal tastes since i cut salt out of my diet. I am guessing something was bad in the ingredients or you ordered from the wrong place.

Lets see: Dough, sauce, cheese...