I INSIST, Renting is Better then Buying

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by TruthSeeker, May 7, 2007.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Of course I am.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

I have a four bed, two bathroom house. I don't manage the 1/4 acre, but I do have a decent sized back garden, with a tree and outbuildings. It's not extravagant, it's just what I could afford to buy.

This 80 year mortgage thing you cited is a myth. A myth you need to dispell the fact that most people will have ceased paying out each month at some point, whereas you will be paying rent until retirement.

Nobody would agree an 80 year mortgage term when it's far beyond the life expectancy of the mortgage holder. Nobody.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

TS, the more you blame America, the more you sound like the Islamofascists of the world that blame the U.S. for all their problems, and do nothing to further their own lot in life.

Whatever do decide to do, whether renting or buying, blaming people for having more than you will never make you rich, or happy.

I would think a young man with a young family would have a more optimistic outlook.:shrug:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Any sensible person would disagree. That's extravagant, unless you have a big family.

A homeless person would definetely disagree with you. :bugeye:

"Man, 102, takes out 25-year mortgage-Business-Money-Mortgages ...A pensioner aged 102 has been granted a 25-year mortgage "

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=80 year mortgage&meta=

Second link...

I'm sure you are the expert here...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

The US has a dark history concerning its affairs with the rest of the planet. Their culture is also a culture of selfishness and greed. The other day, an american came to MacDonald's and he bought some stuff and started throwing his money (piles of it) on the table like an arrogant prick. What do you want me to think of americans? I know not all americans are lik that, but I also know a lot of them are. And that disgusts me. America is not living up to what it should be. The american constitution is a beautiful document. Unfortunately, it has been pissed on and burnt by modern american society. The american forefathers would puke at the sight of what america is doing to itself and to the rest of the planet. :bugeye:

That's not what I'm doing. It's that selfish frame of mind that disgusts me. People in america want to have more then their neighbours. More and bigger is better. They don't desire good to their neighbours. In fact, if their neighbours were doing pretty badly, they would be pretty happy. That's just disgusting. (Yes, I know not all americans are like that.)

What does that tell you about the state of the world?
    Did you know that people are becoming poorer?

Maybe I don't have such positive outlook because I still have to deal with a government that can separate me from my family if they just feel like it. Not only that, but a lot of people would agree with that simply because I'm not Canadian! Don't you think I would be disappointed with the course of our species? :bugeye:

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Perhaps because they're not willing to work like they used to work. They'd rather spend their time watching youTube and playing on Internet forums or chat rooms, than working to make something of themselves.

Think about, TS, ......what are you doing here instead of working and earning money for your family?

Baron Max

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

In Canada, a few decades ago, the average wage was equivalent to $15,000 in today's dollars. Today, you are lucky if you get $2,000. You really think people are getting any richer?

Young people today work harder then ever, while ignorant old pricks who had tons of opportunity when they were young criticize us with false accusations such as laziness or whatever. :bugeye:

I work 5 days a week, 8 hours per day. :bugeye:
    Plus I have my own bookkeeping business.

So I don't know what the fuck you are talking about. :bugeye:

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

And how about a link to your elusive 80 year mortgage option?
    I've yet to see that.

The problem here is that you have your mind made up already, regardless of what any facts are, and you are purposely skewing argumets to support that point of view.
    80 year mortgages? Where?
    You are comparing teh rent of a tiny apartment to the mortgage of a larger house with property.
    You are saying that savings accounts earn much more interest than they do.
    You don't acknowledge that property value ALWAYS outpaces inflation in the long term.
    You don't acknowledge that houses are eventually paid off (you bring up second mortages, but you don't acknowledge that it is a choice to take one out or not).
    You talk about inestments other than real estate, but refuse to acknowledge that you can still invest if you own a house.

Discussing this with you is pointless, because you are being intellectally dishonest, and are not interested in anything other than holding your ground.
    You go ahead and hold your ground (but don't forget to pay your rent on it, because you don't OWN any ground).

12. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

I don't have the words to explain what is wrong with your entire premise about America, and it's role in world affairs, but suffice to say, it sounds like you've been indoctrinated to believe that being first, or on top, or the biggest, or the best, or whatever way you want to categorize the top dog, is simply bad.

If that's truly your outlook, then I pity you. You will never be successful, or happy, as long as you continue to look at every situation with that bent.

Let me pose this question: Imagine the most successful and happy people that you know, and use any measure of success you so desire. Certainly don't limit this to financial success. Now think about the time you've spent with that person/persons. How much time do they spend assigning blame, versus how much time do they spend focused on, and discussing what they want, and what they are doing to get that thing?

Do you shape your world view on any other nations/cultures based on what some guy did in a McDonald's?

To answer your last questions: I think your posts reflect more of the same selfishness that you claim to loathe. Go back and read the last part of your post. You've more or less said that you're going to have a negative attitude, because you've got to have a negative attitude, because of the "state of the world".

If everybody thought like this, we'd never have made it out of the cave.

Regarding people wanting to have more than their neighbors, I don't really see that being the case. I think people want what they want, and I think that's probably true in every corner of the world. If there are people who literally want to see their neighbor's lot in life take a turn for the worse, as you suggest, I would contend that those people will weed themselves out of the herd before long, because that sort of attitude will certainly lead to pain. But regardless, you've made yet another assertion that you can't really back up, so I don't know why I bother, but I just think it odd that you believe that Americans sit around in their living rooms at night hoping their next door neighbor gets laid off. Comical actually, because most of us are smart enough to know that if that happens, it has a potentially negative impact on our lives as well, and potentially negative impact on our property values.

//And there, I've finally managed to get back around to the topic, so as not to commit total and complete thread jack

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Hey, I'm just echoing the words of americans. I never said it was bad, did I?

The problem if not with being successful. The problem is with stepping on other people to achieve that. That's what disgusts me.

I don't know. Haven't been in such situation. But I woudn't just blame them. If I knew they were destroying other people's lives just to get rich, then I wouldn't even talk with them in the first place. But as you said, it's not limited to financial success. So...

That was a tiny example of what I've seen an heard.

What IS a negative attitude? Maybe I'm just passionate. Maybe I just wish people could care about each other. A lot of people are suffering today. A lot of them are children. Does anyone care? Well, I do. And it's frustrating to see so many people who could help doing nothing to help- some of which even make th situation worse.

Maybe we should have never come out of the cave. Why do that if we are going to kill each other and destroy the planet?

Do you know how many people in the US are in jail? Did you know the US have the biggest per capita jail population in the world? Do you have any idea how many senseless murders happen in the US everyday? Does that give you any clue about american culture?

Oh! SO now you are worried about YOUR property value? Maybe the problem is more subconscious that I had previously anticipated....

Huuuummm.... maybe I do have a bit of a negative attitude. Or maybe I just feel frustrated. I want my children to grow up in a decent world. A world that cares about them. Not a world where their lives are in danger. Why are humans the only self-destructive species on the planet...? :shrug:

14. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

I just want to clarify something, and then i've got to get some work done.

Regarding the question I posed to you about the successful people you know, are you saying you don't a single person that you consider successful?

Just exactly what sort of people do you spend time with?

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I don't regard anyone as successful, altough I have known people that you could call "successfull"...

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

No, that's just sour grapes on your part. I like the space. I have lived in flats and smaller accomodation, and I prefer my house.

Well, when they get the Internet wired up to their cardboard box they can come and tell me, and you will be freed from being their designated spokesperson.

A buy to let, there are different rules for buy to let property wrt mortgages. Maybe if you checked your facts, you'd know that? The guy cited was a propert investor, and therefore had assets to cover the loan. You are using an exceptional case in a lame attempt to bolster your flaccid claim that homebuyers take out 80 year mortages on their primary residence. That is just not true, and you are a liar.

As a mortgage holder, considering getting into buy-to-let, by comparison, I am. You can't even do basic maths.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

House is fine. But if you live alone on that big of a house, that's extravagant. Not as much as Oprah's house, but still... :bugeye:

If you were a homeless person, how would you see a 4 bedroom house? Extravagant?

I don't know what the fuck you are talking about. I'm talking about the real estate market in general. :bugeye:

I was obviously being sarcastic...

18. phlogistician Banned Banned

It was about mortgages. Get one, and you'll understand.

19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

You said I was a liar. Now you say I just don't know. Sounds like you are confused.

Anyways... as I said, I was talking about the whole real estate market, not just a segment of it.

20. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

House prices have increased so much i the UK that some say renting is cheaper. Still, I'd rather own my own place.

21. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Renting vs. buying depends mostly own your personal circumstances, such as the type job you have and if it will require frequent relocations. It costs money to both buy and sell, such as realtor fees, loan processing, etc.

I will use my specific case as to why it was much better for me to buy rather than rent. Before I bought my home, I was renting an apartment, of course. The payments on my home were higher than the rent I was paying to begin with. Rental costs for apartments such as I rented kept going up over the years. My fixed-rate mortgage payments stayed the same. After only a very few years, my payments were less than rental costs. The longer I kept my house, the more difference there was. In the meantime, the value of my home kept increasing. Sure, there were dips and rises in the value of my home over the years, but that didn't affect my payments. I initially took out a 30-year mortgage. At the time, it didn't seem like I would ever get my home paid for. The amount I had to pay back including interest was about 2 1/2 times my purchase price. But you know what? I now have my home completely paid for and it is valued at well over 3 times my purchase price. I am now retired and I no longer have to pay any mortgage payments or rent. I worked at a job with very good retirement benefits, so I can live very comfortably on my retirement income. If I had to pay rent at the rates today, I would have more financial restrictions than I now have.