I have the Flu!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by superstring01, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yikes! Well, at least you're off work..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You will what? Survive it, or be sick for a long time?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

i had the flu shot when I was going to a vocational school, I went from feeling just fine, to feeling like death.. I personally wont ever do it again, and I wont give it to my daughter unless its 100% mandatory. mine was, even tho I didnt want it.. Since I had it, I get sicker in the wintertime then I did before.. I went from a stuffy nose all winter long, to getting strep throat, a constant cold, productive coughs.. and I dont like it.. lol

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

drugs to use against viral infections:

Interferon
    acyclovir
    combivir

8. draqon Banned Banned

You can also try this cold remedy:
    very finely cut tomatoes
    red onions
    mashed garlic buds
    vegetable oil
    lemon juice.

Eat as much as you can stand.

Herbs to try:

Astragulus (Astragalus Membranaceus) – A potent immune enhancer. Best taken before cold and flu season strikes, it builds the body’s resistance.

Siberian Ginseng (Eleutherococcus Senticos) – Has anti-viral properties and boost the immune system.

Codonopsis Root (Codonopis pilosulae) – For immune deficiency and frequent infections

Schizandra Berries (Schizandra chinensis) – Boost the body’s immune function

Reishi Mushroom – (Ganoderma lucidum) – Stimulates the immune system

All of the herbs listed above can be taken as a tea or a tincture during this flu season on a preventive basis.

----

- At the first signs of the Flu – a diaphoretic remedy such as Osha Root (Ligusticum porteri) which can be taken, it will encourage sweating and help to eliminate toxins. Osha Root was first used by Native Americans to treat colds, flu and upper respiratory infections. It is a powerful, antimicrobial, anti-flamatory and antiseptic herb. An Osha tea or tincture can be taken in small doses every half hour to an hour.

- If your cold symptoms become inflammatory, take an herbal antibiotic or anti-microbial – such as Golden Seal (Hydrastis canadensis) or Echinacea (Echinacea purpurea) in tea or tincture of up to 7 days. These are both powerful herbs and should be regarded as such.

- If you are congested, have a cough or phlegm present – use an expectorant, astringent, and antispasmodic herb. Echinacea can kill germs and dries phlegm. Echinacea can be a drying herb, so you should not take when you have a dry cough. Use an herbal steam of Peppermint (Menta piperita) and Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globules)to help with the congestion. Other herbs that can help are: Yarrow (Achillea millefolium), Mullein (Verbascum thapsus)and Wild Cherry (Prunus serotina), Elecampane (Inula helenium) and Thyme(Thymus vulagris).

- For a sore throat – use a soothing demulcent (an herb which provides moisture) such as Marshmallow Root (Althaea officinalis) and Slippery Elm (Ulmus rubra). Osha can also be taken to reduce inflammation, it will soother and anesthezie. A gargle can be made with Yarrow, Sage (Salvia officinales) and or Echinacea.

- For Ear Infections – An ear infection usually begins in the throat and spread to the inner ear via the Eustachian tube. Use an anti-microbial such as – Garlic, Echinacea, Mullein or/and Meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria) for the pain.

- For a Fever use an herb that is febrifuge (brings down a fever) and diaphoretic (promotes sweating), such as – Ginger, Boneset – relieve aches and pains, Peppermint, Elder Flowers, Catnip (especially great for young children) and Yarrow.

source: http://www.drgeorgekarlis.net/an-herbal-approach-to-h1n1-virus-swine-flu.htm

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  9. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

This works so well as a remedy due to the fact of the Ba ass breath you have and the people just keep there distance I am sure.

10. draqon Banned Banned

whats your choice Mr. Grim_Reaper:

Ba ass breath or D E A T H ?

11. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

DEATH why eles would I call myself the Grim Reaper man keep up to speed here ok.

12. draqon Banned Banned

well than dead man don't talk.

13. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Maybe not to you but to the Grim Reaper they Speak Volumes.

14. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

And besides I am not a young weakling either if I get it I will get the sniffles for a few days and be done with it. Most death cases involve young people the ones that were not around for round one of the Flu in 75 I ave been there done that got the T shirt.

15. kira Valued Senior Member

String, it was nice to know you. j/k

I sincerely wish you get well soon!

So... who is going to replace your mod position?

ach >.<

Don't be panic, String. This is the time of the year when the season changes. Maybe it's just common cold. Let's hope so.

16. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Here's something I've always wondered...Why are flu and colds so prolific around this time of year, and not at other times of the year?

17. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Simply put In door ventilation or rather the lack of it.

18. kira Valued Senior Member

In the changes of the season, like from winter to spring (where in the air there are a lot of tree pollen that makes people allergic and showing flu-like symptom [sneezing]), or from summer to autumn, or from autumn to winter (where the bodies get exposed to colder weather, but the minds think it's still summer

) people are prone to get common cold. It's the first Newton's laws of motion: "In the absence of force, a body either is at rest or moves in a straight line with constant speed." Here, the flu is the force (for him to wear pullover)

I think best for String is to eat and drink warm foods, sleep enough, wash hands with anti-bacterial soap regularly, wear socks, and avoid public place for some time (which he does).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  19. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

20. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Cook yourself a cold-remedy--use an entire bulb of garlic, a tin of tomatoes and a cup of rice (or pasta will do just as well) Whatever you have will be cleared out by the concoction.

21. superstring01 Moderator

Well, my friends. It seemed to be getting better. . . but only got worse. I had to go to the ER this morning (after dealing with some Sciforums posts, of course) because of dizziness and shortness of breath. Several X-Rays, swabs, an albuterol treatment, and other tests later. . . SURPRISE, I have H1N1. . . which, of course, we all knew.

Now I'm on something called Hicodan syrup which is yummy four the tummy and makes me feel all loopy inside. But, I'm cough free for now.

~String

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Shit.. H1N1 for real then eh?
    Hang in there, String!

23. kira Valued Senior Member

Oh, oh.. *hugs superstring*

Excuse me for my ignorance,.. that you have H1N1, it doesn't mean you have swine flu, is it..? I just look it up in wiki:

-------------------------------------------------------
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H1N1

Influenza A virus subtype H1N1

Influenza A (H1N1) virus is a subtype of influenzavirus A and the most common cause of influenza (flu) in humans. Some strains of H1N1 are endemic in humans and cause a small fraction of all influenza-like illness and a large fraction of all seasonal influenza. H1N1 strains caused roughly half of all human flu infections in 2006.[1] Other strains of H1N1 are endemic in pigs (swine influenza) and in birds (avian influenza).
    -------------------------------------------------------

I mean, there are chances that this is the normal flu, or

I hope so (that it will gone in some days just like normal flu). Wishing you speedy recovery, String!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.