I have a killer cat, a too effective predator

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Syzygys, May 6, 2013.

1. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Good, I thought it might be me!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Maybe he means this kind of thing:

Heh Heh.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

This cat is really something. So the bell has been on his neck for less than 2 days, and this happens:

I am cleaning around the house, the cat is following me like a good dog. I am collecting leaves, whatever. Then I saw him being really happy, rolling in the dirt. I go closer and sure enough, he is messing with a garden snake!! He looked at me like saying: "Look, this is not a bird or a vermin, can I have this?" The snake wasn't damage (yet) so I pulled the cat away, lifted the snake up and threw it into the grass. It wasn't really sneaking away so the cat went after it and played with it. It was actually interesting to see how they "fight" with each other. Eventually the snake made it into the bush.

This cat is funny as hell.... Oh yeah, he already figured out how to get into the house without using the flop door. In the basement there is a mosquito net torn, so he uses that entry to sneak in....

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Pictures of cat please!

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Have I mentioned he has a Hitler moustache?

The killed baby bunny:

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Heh Heh.

Why not buy him a uniform?

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

11. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Too many cats in this world. Little bastards kill everything in sight, and get away with it because they're cute. I'm waiting for the law which states I can treat any found outside a premises at night as fair game.

Too many people in this world. Even more destructive than cats. They get away with it because they're people. I'm waiting for the law which states that I can treat any found outside a premises at night as fair game.

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

You think exactly like a cat.
    Welcome, Killer Cat.

13. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Nah. Cats don't normally want to kill other cats.

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Cats don't want to kill each other. Ha!
    You reveal your feline nature more clearly with every word.

Answer these questions.
    1. Would you like to sit on a rooftop, observing your future victims as they go about their business,
    totally unaware that they must die?
    2. Would you like to toy with your victims, letting them believe they have escaped, and then pounce on them joyously?
    3. Do you like meat, and fish? Do you prefer it fresh, and nearly raw?

Admit you are a cat. Cat.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I told this story before, but it might be appropriate here. My grandfather's friend had a cat that hunted full sized rabbits. When the cat came in with a rabbit, he would gut and skin it, cook it up, and serve some to the cat. The cat would wait patiently watching this operation, and then enjoy it's meal. One time he was doing this, and some guests came over. The cat saw the guests, went out, and came back with another rabbit!

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

OK so the peace in vermin world lasted 10 days or so, and this morning another live chipmunk was brought into the house. He left it on the stairs, and I was able to catch it with a towel. Seems to me that the chipmunks once they are caught play dead, because it was easy to grab it but once released on the deck it quickly made a getaway. No blood this time....

So on his attempted murder list there are 2 chipmunks, 1 garden snake... looks like the recent bad weather has been messing with his average...

18. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Or the bell is working , keep it on him for the rest of the animals safety. At least some will be forewarned and others might understand that the bell means problems after awhile of hearing it and watching what happens.

19. elte Valued Senior Member

Bummer about the snake. That variety is the type I like a lot. I was saddened a bit last week because I must have stepped on a little one in the grass, and after it came out onto the sidewalk, it died. Once a cat that I fed, because it was left by a neighbor who moved out, brought one to me. Luckily, if I recall, I think it was okay so I released it where I hoped it would be safe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garter_snake

20. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Put this notice in the garden:

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

This morning my wife told me that we have a loose live chipmunk in the house, she woke up 2 am and heard it and saw it, but couldn't catch it. She is not as good at chipmunk hunting as I am,(also kind of middle of the night) and now I am sure they play dead once they are caught by the cat, that's how they get away. So we have to locate this one and catch it first...

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There was an article in the Post a few days ago about cats in New Zealand. Birds evolved there in the complete absence of mammals (except for a couple of species of bats, who also flew in). As a result, they have no fear of predation and many species can't even fly. Cats are wiping them out. There's a movement to make the islands cat-free in another generation or two. Or to only allow cats in zoo-like situations: completely enclosed with no possibility of escape.

Unfortunately the Europeans also brought rats to New Zealand, who are just as hard on the wildlife. And the only animals that kill rats are cats.

The kakapo is the world's largest species of parrot, 4-9lb/2-4kg. It is flightless and nocturnal. There are only about a hundred left. They've all been relocated to three islands which have no predators.

In addition to cats and rats, Europeans have also brought ferrets to New Zealand as well as ermines, which are raised for their fur and called "stoats" in Europe. I would suspect that these two species of weasel also dine on rat meat.

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, chippy turned up dead. I was out of town for 3 days, but this morning I found it dead in the corner of my room where I saw it last time alive. I guess he had no chance against Bryce, the killing machine. We actually got a live trap, but it was too late to save the cute little bastard....