Hyphenate your name?

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by madanthonywayne, Apr 30, 2007.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Pretty content, actually.

Geoff of Philly

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Geoff of Philly on South Street???

Holy SHIT!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

How have you been???

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gently Passing Registered Senior Member

Well, my wife never got around to doing either.

If I ever piss off enough people, though, I'll probably change my name to hers so that I can confuse and confound my countless enemies.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Oh yes. It's terrible. Why should everyone in a family have the same last name? The horror!

Really, I don't care if a couple marries and uses the woman's last name or they both add the other's name to their name. Just don't hyphenate. It's a pain in the ass and creates these super long names and results in bureaucratic snafu's for the rest of your life.

PS I wouldn't take a women's last name myself. It seems unmanly. But if someone else wants to, no prob.

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

My fiancee is trying to figure out what she is going to do when we get married.
    Other than being honest and saying that I always thought the hyphenated names came off as pretentious, I did not lean either way (changing or not changing).
    I have actually considered taking her last name when we get married.
    It is a much cooler name than mine, plus I have always had a connection with my mother's side of the family and all but disowned my father's side, so I have little connection with the name I have.

The biggest question was if we both keep our own names, what name do we give our children - if we have any?
    I personally don't think the concept of both husband and wife having the same last name is archaic at all - I like the idea of forging a new family unit, all with the same last name.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't even see a reason to have a last name.

10. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Shortage of forenames?

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You still need a card with your picture and a ten-digit ID number to convince people of your actual presence on earth .:shrug:

12. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Not in the UK (yet)...
    Only required to prove that you're old enough to drink... (which, strangely enough, never gets queried with me).

And how would friends keep track of every one they had in common with the same name... process of elimination by going through events/ descriptions that separate ME from any other Oli?

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If you need a "process" of keeping track of friends with the same name, they are not friends.

14. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

You don't have more than one friend (okay, or acquaintance) with the same forename, with overlapping interests?

15. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I get text messages from people sending crap to the wrong Nick. All the bloody time.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Several times, but we don't refer to them by their full names, we just give them nicknames.

17. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I keep getting texts "My new number - Andy" I know FIVE Andys - three of them female...

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Pretty good, actually.

Off to visit John the Oddsmaker's Son; should be back when the booth closes.

19. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

And if you have a large circle of acquaintances a number of those have the same nickname... I know (personally) 3 Olis in my home town (but only mine spelt this way) and have heard of four-five others...

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I've been told that they do that in Iceland. Back in the 1950s Icelandic tourists had trouble registering as married couples in American hotels when he was Knut Eriksson and she was Kirsten Frigasdottir.

21. moonshadow Registered Member

don't get it

Okay.here's the deal...My husband's former wife uses a hyphen (her maiden name 1st,married name last) BUT they are divorced. Is that common?She didn't hyphenate her name prior to being divorced.From what i've read,most of the people using a hyphen are married...and isn't the sole purpose of using a hyphen so that the person can keep their maiden name? Someone enlighten me!

22. Vkothii Banned Banned

The problem of identification, for society, will be around until fingerprinting, retinal scans and DNA profiling become as ubiquitous as driver's licences and passports (in which case, the documents will become redundant).

In case you think "they" aren't on to this, check out what the latest video surveillance systems can do. Did you know everyone has a unique "walking profile"?

But with an individual identity that wouldn't be theivable any more, you could have a different name every day, or a whole string of names. You could collect names, and they'd be as meaningless as the shape of clouds in the sky.

23. ang2223 Registered Member

I have hyphened my ex-married name with my new married name for the sake of the kids.. i.e. at school they can call me Mrs. Davis (as my older kids mother) or Mrs Smith as my younger kids mother, makes it easier on the kids, although my new husband who isn't at the school as often as i am sure hates when a teacher calls him Mr. Davis.
    But i have never had a clerical problem with it... i always say its hyphenated