Hymen, Appendix, and Wisdom Teeth

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Orleander, Jul 14, 2007.

1. John99 Banned Banned

Could that just be an elongated Coccyx?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

Some people are born with bent toes. I remember a friend of mine hade an elongated big toe that, interestingly enough, wrapped over the next toe. Which was good because it did not interfere with shoes.

Now since the Coccyx is under the skin any time it would grow longer it would exit the internal skeletal formation and just have skin on it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

Why would you need those extra teeth tho chew vegetables? Even if they are all raw. In fact, i imagine the human uses 4 to 8 teeth (total) for breaking and actaully thae same amount only on the sides for chewing. seems like food dont even go near those back teeth. Or am i wrong?

Bill, i was strictly referring to humans. Humans are the end product of an evolutionary chain that, at some point, first evolved larger then evolved again to be smaller but why evolve larger in the first place only to then become smaller?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

What i mean is perhaps some were born with and some without throughout history?

Do you have records?

8. John99 Banned Banned

Do you guys think that it is reasonable to say that humans use 16-20 of their teeth for actual survival purpose? I would say overall 20, 16 would be a minimal amount.

Though even still we have 32 (adult male).

My teeth are strange though so i wonder if that is true for everyone.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

records of what? who had them removed and who didn't?

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm pretty sure I use all my teeth. My mom is still yelling at me for continuing to open bottles with my back teeth.

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

Because they are a lot harder to chew than meat. That's why herbivores teeth are much more extensive, and their jaws are stronger than, carnivores.

The molars are the teeth that mechanically break down all the food we eat.

Because of evolutionary pressures. It might have been to better defend their children, or better catch food, or better build shelter. It might have been due to sexual selection; larger males may have been seen as more desirable, which over time will drive to a larger organism.

12. John99 Banned Banned

Yes. How do we know that there is an increase of humans born without? How do we know that sometimes they are there and sometimes they are not throughout?

Considering no real medical records of this were kept or even who would have taken a consensus? Were they even looked for?

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Because my daughters orthodontist said so. He said more and more (but not a majority) of his patients have missing teeth and it runs in families. My son is missing 6 by the way. Not due to accident or disease, but they were just never there. He has a Tom Cruise smile because of it. (the 2 front teeth don't center)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. ProCreation Registered Member

do u literally have images of cats with thumbs, bats with fingers and cave fish with eyes?

15. arauca Banned Banned

16. arauca Banned Banned

Pardon. are you not a mother, did you not loos your hymen tiding a bicycle , or was it not during intercourse.

As far wisdom teeth , if I remember correctly Neanderthal man or a more primitive hominid had an additional set of teeth and hi jaw was larger .

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

You beat me to it. I've heard that same theory regarding the appendix being a reservoir Of normal flora.
    I'm not so sure abbot the Neandethal theory since modern humans have very little Neanderthal DNA, but the idea that wisdom teeth were "intended" to replace earlier teeth that had rotted away seems pretty obvious.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

sorry your right about neandethal, they were parallel to us, i ment to say the next step up which we both developed from

20. billvon Valued Senior Member

Cats no longer have thumbs, but they still have the genes that express them - and so occasionally you still see a cat with a thumb.

Dolphins no longer have legs, but they still have the genes that express them - and so occasionally you still see legs on a dolphin.

Cave fish with eyes - see the following pic, which is a mexican tetra and the eyeless form it evolved into once it started living in caves.

21. John99 Banned Banned

Bill, all we can say is that cats have paws. Paws that look like hands, fingers and a thumb. I dont see many ways to make a cat with now paws for the simple fact that it would not be able to grab small things, the pads enable some feeling as well. You want to call that one odd short one a thumb then call it a thumb.

22. John99 Banned Banned

Bill, let us take a new planet with water, dirt, rocks and a sun etc. and wait for millions of years then what do you think will happen in that million of years to this new planet?

Lets run through the basics and add them as we go along:

Dirt
    Water (fresh and salt)
    Rocks
    Vegetation (non sentient)

What do you suppose will happen after millions of years?

23. John99 Banned Banned

Bill, if you want to take the cats thumb further then look at its arms. We have arms too. If the cat had no arms it would fall over.