Hymen, Appendix, and Wisdom Teeth

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Orleander, Jul 14, 2007.

1. John99 Banned Banned

The hymen is there to keep bugs out.

...Edit, when humans didnt wear clothes it was more useful though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

UGH! that sucks! :jawdrop:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yep, boy cooties

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

It was kind of bad, one tooth took six stitches to close the hole but it wasnt too bad actually. They took out two at a time.

Actually for a toddler laying in a field what i sadi seems very reasonable defense.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

are you sure billvon? :shrug: Asgard is a medical professional (in training)

My brother swallowed some BBs and a few days later he got appendicitis. They performed surgery found the BBs in his appendix.

9. John99 Banned Banned

As far as losing the wisdom teeth through evolution:

Can anyone come up with other parts lost through evolution?

Also, stands to reason that we really dont know how many humans throughout our time here have actually had them and how many didnt have them.

10. John99 Banned Banned

Also, i would add, since humans evolved (in theory) form much simpler form why would parts be added and then taken away?

Can you explain that?

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think we will get longer thumbs eventually. You can text faster and I think those people will do better career wise. Those people will marry people of the same socio-economic level and pass the trait on.

and that's my theory on that! LOL

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

Am I sure it used to be a cecum? No, it's just one possibility - but a likely one, when you look at cecums in other animals that either eat cellulose or used to eat cellulose.

Am I sure it's not needed? Pretty sure, since appendectomy does not significantly affect survivability. (It does have other functions - every organ in your body has several - but it's pretty clear that the other functions are ancillary. Evolution uses everything for everything when it can.)

13. John99 Banned Banned

Two issues i have with the longer thumbs theory:

Thumbs are delicate protrusions and painful if broken plus they dont grow back like fingernails. As an aside, wouldnt it take millions of years, or at least thousands, then wouldnt it be safe to assume that by the time the change was fully implemented texting would be loooong gone?

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

Because they are no longer needed. It happens all the time; fish, for example, will lose their eyes if they remain in dark caves for long enough. Eyes are no longer needed so they are evolved away.

Fingers in bats. Thumbs in cats. Arms and legs in whales. Eyes in cave fish.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

And how long has it taken for wisdom teeth to disappear? How long have we been doing better dental care?

so no, not thousands of years

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

orleander as i said that would be my guess but it maybe wrong. However just because your period can penitrate when your 12 doesnt mean amneotic fluid can before your born, there are LOTS of changes between those times, the most ovious being your size.

As for the reason i think thats possible SOMETHING has to keep it out, there are no real barriers between the abdominal cavity and the felopian tubes (which is something i never knew till recently when it was mentioned you can get an ectopic pregancy anywhere in the abdominal cavity)

As for the resurch, its in its infancy and it didnt come from uni, it came from the ABC so it could turn out to be wrong but it certainly suggests that the apendix matters. If your interested there next step was to test gut flora from people in africa and the amazon who have never had a history of antibotic use to see if there flora was more diverse and then see if the cancer rates are the same or different.

17. keith1 Guest

Search: Human vestigiality for more examples.

My favorite is "tailbone", because it's still present in the language as well.

The computer mouse will soon visibly mutate the human hand, but future direct mind interfaces are developing. Other alts to negate that result?

18. John99 Banned Banned

Thank you Bill.

I was just wondering why the head would evolve to have them to begin with...the extra teeth, i mean. Only to evolve to a smaller head anyway and also a larger brain for the smaller head.:shrug:

19. keith1 Guest

A bigger jaw is also a vestige of excessive cud (veg matter) chewing.
    Search: wisdom teeth

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

that's a good one Keith. Some people are born with a tail

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. John99 Banned Banned

Let me see if i can re-word that:

Before humans the pre-human evolved from smaller to larger.

Then evolved smaller again.

My question is why evolve larger to begin with?

But then all animals were larger at that time so being larger would be an advantage but how much of an advantage against a pre-historic animal? Very little if you ask me since compared to a dinosaur pre-humans size difference compared to now is nothing. For that matter even if the average human today were twice as strong still would be little match for even a large black bear in a toe to toe battle.

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

Why do some organisms evolve to be larger? To get to different sources of food (like giraffes) to better protect their young (like bears) to better hunt (like big cats) to increase their food gathering ability (like humpback whales) to bear more young etc etc. There are a lot of reasons, all dependent on what environment the organism lives in.

23. keith1 Guest

If you don't use it, you loose it.
    If it's getting smaller, it's leaving you.