Hydroelectric power

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by JM123, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM123 Registered Senior Member

Ok, I'm not too much of an engineer (or architect), so I may be WAY off on this. I'm planning on installing a hydroelectric generator, but I have encountered a problem. One of the factors involving power generated is "head", which is the vertical distance the water falls to the turbine. However, since I am pumping water a different way, would it be possible to generate power with horizontal moving water? (0 head) I made a diagram, but I'm no artist either, so it's very basic.

i48. tinypic .com/2qc4dag.jpg

So basically, water is pumped from a well, up, into a building, through horizontal tubing, falls into a small pond, then leaves the building. Where should I put the turbine? Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I can't post links, so take the spaces out of the link. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. soullust Registered Senior Member

I can not see your diagram, but put the water where ever the most water flow will be at any giving time.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Ever heard of a water mill?
    So you ARE using head.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Most of the useful energy will come from the vertical fall, so you'd be better off putting it in the fall.
    Otherwise you're going to need very fast flow rates.

Why are you using a pump and then extracting power? You're going to suffer losses. What's wrong with just using the power source for the pump directly?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. JM123 Registered Senior Member

Actually, I'm not using power to pump it up. It is pumped solely by natural pressure. And, I can't find a practical place to put the turbine at the bottom of the fall.

8. kmguru Staff Member

The power generated is proportional to both head and volume. A small head with large volume is same as a large head with small volume.

Now, if you have a natural head (not an artificial head where you pump up and then generate power -perpetual machine) you can collect the water in a channel and then put it in a tank that has the turbine and generator built in. You can find them by googling and they cost fairly cheap.

You can measure the volume of water per minute by measuring the amount over a bucket with a stop watch and then calculate what size generator you need.

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Ah okay.
    Then your best bet is to put the turbine as close to the source as possible. That way you're taking advantage of it as much as you can before you lose any pressure/ volume of flow.

10. JM123 Registered Senior Member

Thanks Dywyddyr for helping me out. However, if I put the turbine at the source, I'll have a negative head, is this possible?

Also, I've got around 35lps, if that helps. It's about a 7ft drop from the pipe to the surface of the pool.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  11. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

If the water is coming out under any pressure (as I assume it is because you've said it's not being pumped upwards) then the turbine will use that pressure.

12. JM123 Registered Senior Member

See, this is where my problem lies. I can't have it at the source because it is just enough pressure to pump it up. Using a turbine at the source might reduce the pressure too much. I'm planning on turning an old washer motor into a generator. Will this be within the range of generat-able (?) power, or will it not supply enough? Sorry, I've never dealt with anything like this before.

13. greenfroguser5 Registered Member

of course you can generate energy. but it will not be effective. because you have to flow the water. but in case of the vertical fall. the speed of the water or head will increase due to gravity. so you will get enough power. it will be cost effective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.