Hydrochloric acid

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Extrovert39, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Extrovert39 Registered Member

Okay, there are seriously conflicting answers in this thread.

First some say HCl will make H30+ and give off Cl-.

Then it's said that HCl is just a gas and is diluted in water in Muratic acid, and that it won't make Hydronium.

We need to make Hydronium for our lab. Nothing else.

I am very thankful for the many replies, this board is great. I really hope I can contribute in the future when I get better!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Correct. When HCl is dissolved into water, the bond between the H and the Cl breaks via homolytic cleavage as the proton bonds itself to a lone pair of electrons on a nearby watermolecule, giving H[sub]3[/sub]O[sup]+[/sup] and Cl[sup]-[/sup]

Also correct. Hydrogen chloride has a boiling point of 188 K, and at STP exists as a clear and colourless gas with a pungent odour that dissolves in water to give an clear and colourless solution that turns litmus paper red.

Hydrochloric Acid is what happens when we dissolve Hydrogen chloride in water.

If you want to form a solid hydronium salt, then you need a stronger acid than Hydrochloric acid. One method is to use a 1:1 molar ratio of anhydrous perchloric acid and water, which will form a solid salt of Hydronium perchlorate. Although as I understand it as a general rule, any acid with a pK[sub]a[/sub] < -9 should be able to do the trick.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nasor Valued Senior Member

To do what? No offense, but it's clear that you don't know anything about chemistry, so when you say that your "lab" needs hydronium, we can't help but wonder wtf you are planning on doing. Maybe if you explained a little more about what exactly you are trying to do, people could be more helpful.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Extrovert39 Registered Member

No I'm a student and a newb, and our lab is not ap lace but our task. They call it "lab days". So lab = "go do your assignment". Sorry for the confusion.

8. Extrovert39 Registered Member

Trippy, thanks so much.

Anyways, I have a final question (probably not final in the long run though!

) will a plastic bag of hydronium (H30+) attract electrons to the outer part of the bag and possibly create static electricity?

9. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

What you'd be making is a hydronium salt, which is, on the balance, neutral.

10. Extrovert39 Registered Member

No, we would making water with H30+ by pouring some HCl into the water.

11. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

You would also be making Cl[sup]-[/sup] by pouring HCl into water.

12. Extrovert39 Registered Member

Trippy, thanks for the response. I don't know why I said no before, I guess I was tired and didn't reply fully.

Would a bad of liquid h30+ (and some h20) attract electrons to the surface of the bag and possibly make static electricity?

13. Extrovert39 Registered Member

Would a plastic ziplock bag of hydronium/water solution (h30+) attract electrons to the outside of the bag, similar to static electricity?

14. Tero Registered Member

No. You just get H3O+ and Cl-

It is no different from NaCl for conductivity. Plus and minus.

None of this makes much sense.