Huygens has landed!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Lucas, Jan 14, 2005.

1. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

methane mud or something simmilar.
    nobody said it was from water

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

Dude, they are photos of another world. A world where no human has even set foot. Considering we had never seen the surface of Titan I would say they contain an amazing amount of information. This is real life, not hollywood. They don't get to retake shots if they f**k up, its a million km away. I for one am in awe of not just the photos, but the whole achievement.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

ditto to that! I really don't understand all these alienraped bitchers moaning about low quality. Cassini-Huygens did an amazing achievement and my blood thrills just thinking about the Titan mission and the results. But there will be many more results, when full analysis on the data is done.

8. btimsah Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but I still wish they were higher quality.

9. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Don't we all. Still, as Avatar said, it's a thrilling accomplishment. I would definitely call the mission a success - especially after the disappointment European science suffered with Beagle 2 a year ago!

10. btimsah Registered Senior Member

I agree, I was not calling the mission a failure. I just want 15 video cameras posted around the planet, live.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

Screw that! If we can accomplish that feat, I want a space house somewhere near Betelgeuse.

12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I can rent you mine, once the Aldeberan bagel shooting season is over.

13. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

One step at a time: I'd settle for a balloon villa in the Saturnian sky.

14. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Bad location. It’s going to go supernova soon; perhaps within 10,000 years time…

Do you not want to live forever?

15. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Contrary to popular belief, images dont contain or relay as much information about anything nearly as much as all the other instruments. They are pretty much there to take pretty pictures for the public so that they will be happy and give more money.

Yes, the are low quality pictures. But you should really be saying, thank god they put even that on the lander. It wasnt even supposed to survive on the surface longer than 5 minutes.. and look what it did!

16. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

Of course, the aging problem will be solved. I figure, hang out there for a few thousand years, watch the fireworks, and head head towards orion's belt.

This thread has gone rediculously off topic. Come on ESA... give us something to work with...

17. Lucas Registered Senior Member

18. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Hum,
    I had it put down as a tidal basin, at first, until i worked out the tide time-table.
    It seems to me now that the channels are the result from natural aquifers and springs.

< Rotating Panorama >

http://www.geocities.com/goarana667/hygenspanorama.htm

< /Rotating Panorama >

19. Overdose From the steppes of Mongolia Registered Senior Member

Very exciting!!!

Imagine a planet where it rains methane, rivers and oceans filled with methane. So, now we know that there is no Oxygen in on Titan otherwise it would have exploded but what i wonder is
    What is the source of Methane on Titan?

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

What is the source of Nitrogen on Earth?

21. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Hum,
    It probably has to do with the early formation of the solar system, beyond a certain distance you have a `tar layer` (between juypiter/saturn) where the volatile compounds condense out.
    Also methane is a very simple compound of hydrogen and carbon that the early primordial cloud had lots of, and could be combined during early planetary formation etc...

22. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

There is probably a lot more primordial methane and other hydrocarbons deep within the Earth than we normally reckon. I doubt that living organisms are the only major source of methane here - especially since the gas giants are laden with it.

Thanks for that panoramic link, Blobrana. You referred to working out the tidal timetable for Titan - I would be interested to see your results. Such tides must be very complex, with all the smaller moons passing Titan in their different orbits - but do any of them have sufficient gravity to produce a significant tide?