Huygens has landed!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Lucas, Jan 14, 2005.

1. btimsah Registered Senior Member

And, I'm going to say it...

These images, so far, have really sucked. There's virtually no data in them, or a lot has been conveniently lost.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If they don't improve in quality expect the woo-woo's to go nuts.

What frustrates me most is they put an image up, and then it says click here for higher quality version - AND IT'S THE SAME CRAPY 14KB IMAGE?

I wish I could trust them to not hide anything.. Even if they are not, they sure do act like it..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacM Registered Senior Member

Don't eat the Yellow snow -

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I am far from knowledgeble when it comes to this but I do wonder; why can'tthey get better images?

Is it too much data to send across if the pictures are high resolution? Why not snap a custom fitted Sony 5.0 megapixel on there?

They spend billions on these fragile probes and yet they never seem to put on a decent camera....any ideas?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Most of them will be buried deep in Titan's mantle. Given the overall density of the satellite, it must consist of a mixture of rock and ice - the heavier rocky material settling toward the center early in its history.

Still, it's obviously a fairly dynamic place, and large enough to have plenty of internal heat left - especially with tidal effects from Saturn flexing its core. I wouldn't be surprised if some genuine, hot, silicate magma is ocassionally erupted on the surface, or at least intuded at fairly shallow depths.

When Cassini and Huygens were built in the early 1990s, digital camera weren't nearly as advanced or compact as they are today. But I think the real limiting factor is the incredible weakness of the signal received from Cassini: less than 10 nanowatts, after crossing a billion kilometers.
    http://www.gb.nrao.edu/~glangsto/huygens/

8. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

Cassini was built in America, Huygens in Europe; They messed up the communicating frequencies slightly, so that Cassini and Huygens can only communicate when they are approaching each other and the signal is blue shifted. Cockup, not conspiracy.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

We really need to make that interplanetary internet, i.e., the plan that is in the air, but I haven't heard no advancements after the Mars orbiter.
    It involves putting relay satellites accross the Solar system, so the signal can be sent to the closest satellite and then the satellite forwards the signal to all the rest, so it works like internet, you don't have to send from Titan to Earth, instead you can send from Titan to Saturn orbit, from Saturn to Jupiter orbiting satellite, from Jupiter to Mars, from Mars to Moon, from Moon to Earth.

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

No data. No Data Get real. These contain a wealth of data that will take months and years to convert to knowledge. Your comments have not devalued Huygens, but simply raise doubts about your own judgement.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

It's simple. He thinks that there is no data, if the image doesn't show an abandoned alien base, a pyramid, an alien waving to the camera or something like that.

12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I think you do btsimah a mild injustice. He is that rare beast, a woo-woo with a brain. I just wish he could find the on switch.

What appalls me is the lack of imagination that can think this wonderful, fragmentary glimpse of an alien world can be said to suck. These pictures are inspiring. A river system! With ethane flowing over ice as hard as a granite on Earth. What kind of weathering occurs? What sort of sediments are formed? Are there floods and playas and wadis and a hundred other morphological features, familiar on Earth, but transformed in an alien environment? The questions these few images arouse, and the answers they will help provide, are a joy. Wake up btsimah. Smell the methane.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

But what does he then mean by "conveniently lost"?

14. btimsah Registered Senior Member

Oh please Ophiolite, grow up. They don't contain ENOUGH DATA, ENOUGH DATA. to make any sort of judgements from them. Go ahead and tell me how many degrees you have and how much smarter you are as well.

15. btimsah Registered Senior Member

In my opinion, there is a chance that NASA/ESA is not releasing high quality images UNTILL they can verify the land structures are all natural. So they have released the HORRIBLY low quality images to ensure we see nothing important ourselves.

In a nutshell, I believe NASA has some sort of security classification about ETI/UFO/ETI STRUCTURES/ETI VEHICLES and do not trust them. That's what I meant by that comment.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

And how is ESA under the NASA jurisdiction?

17. btimsah Registered Senior Member

Okay, saying no data was a bit harsh. However, I was merely trying to imply that because the images are so bad, it might as well be NO DATA. I don't know how anyone can tell weather there are clouds, or snow caps. Ground, water, liquid, rocks or anything.

18. btimsah Registered Senior Member

I have no clue about that. That's something I've never investigated. All I know is that NASA does have *some* kind of security classification in place regarding alien technology that they cannot reveal. It's obvious (to me lol) with the many eye witnesses they have, as well as their operating procedures ever since NASA'S inception.

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Huygens instruments from http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-Huygens/SEM9W82VQUD_0.html

To gather as much science as possible during its historic mission to the Saturnian system, the Cassini-Huygens spacecraft is equipped with 18 instruments, 12 on the Cassini orbiter and six on the Huygens probe.

Many of these sophisticated instruments are capable of multiple functions, and the data that they gather will be studied by scientists worldwide.

Aerosol Collector and Pyrolyser (ACP) will collect aerosols for chemical-composition analysis. After extension of the sampling device, a pump will draw the atmosphere through filters which capture aerosols. Each sampling device can collect about 30 micrograms of material.

Descent Imager/Spectral Radiometer (DISR) can take images and make spectral measurements using sensors covering a wide spectral range. A few hundred metres before impact, the instrument will switch on its lamp in order to acquire spectra of the surface material.

Doppler Wind Experiment (DWE) uses radio signals to deduce atmospheric properties. The probe drift caused by winds in Titan's atmosphere will induce a measurable Doppler shift in the carrier signal. The swinging motion of the probe beneath its parachute and other radio-signal-perturbing effects, such as atmospheric attenuation, may also be detectable from the signal.

Gas Chromatograph and Mass Spectrometer (GCMS) is a versatile gas chemical analyser designed to identify and quantify various atmospheric constituents. It is also equipped with gas samplers which will be filled at high altitude for analysis later in the descent when more time is available.

Huygens Atmosphere Structure Instrument (HASI) comprises sensors for measuring the physical and electrical properties of the atmosphere and an on-board microphone that will send back sounds from Titan.

Surface Science Package (SSP) is a suite of sensors to determine the physical properties of the surface at the impact site and to provide unique information about its composition. The package includes an accelerometer to measure the impact deceleration, and other sensors to measure the index of refraction, temperature, thermal conductivity, heat capacity, speed of sound, and dielectric constant of the (liquid) material at the impact site.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Then talk about that when/if you have a clue, because ESA has nothing to do with NASA. Or is it an international conspiracy involving the USA and ESA's 15 Member States?

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Take notice that ALL science data from all 6 onboard instruments that was sent from the Huygens probe is about 3 floppy disks, and that's more than they expected, because the probe stayed online so long. A high quality image takes up about 14 megabytes!!
    What high quality do you expect?

Besides there's still the data that Cassini got with its' own instruments.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  22. btimsah Registered Senior Member

No, since when did top secret issues or crafts involve a conspiracy? Debunkers use top-secret craft's to explain UFO'S all the time, is that a conspiracy?

Secondly, yes there may very well be an agreement among some governments to hide certain evidence of ETI. No matter how you try to impune me, or attack me it won't change my opinion either.

23. btimsah Registered Senior Member

Well, I still wish we could use video and higher quality images.