Hurricane plus oil spill

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by skaught, May 28, 2010.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Not really. Colder water below the storm wold stop it from gaining energy, intensifying, but not take a significant amount of energy out of the storm. That is what you need to do to reduce it. That is what spraying water into it can do, for reasons (1) & (2) I listed in post 42.

We do agree that man can do little to change the strength of the storm - there is just too much energy in it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

That probably is an improvement on my suggestion of post 42, which also suggested that a vertical shaft wind mill be considered. You are sort of combining both my suggestions (windmill to transfer energy from air into the water via lower under water blades truning for dissipation) AND spraying water into the air, but as I noted, the direct cooling effect of warming cold water is at most 25 calories per gram (5 degree water warmed to 30 degree C air) but the evaporation of that gram of water takes 940 calories, if memory serves me correctly.

I.e the energy required to lift the cold water column up from the ocean depths is better used just to spray more water up into the air for more evaporative cooling. Warm water, with higher vapor pressure might be even better than cold water as more would evaporate before falling back into the ocean.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CheskiChips Banned Banned

this.thread >> ./Pseudoscience.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Smellsniffsniff Gravitomagnetism Heats the Sun Registered Senior Member

Best idea so far...