Hurricane plus oil spill

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by skaught, May 28, 2010.

1. CheskiChips Banned Banned

You can feel free to believe that...I guess...if you want.

Some people believe geomagnetic sun storms can instigate baric gradients in a way which is conducive to large storm generation. But no one believes that the maintenance of EM fields sustains storms.

Just know that it's wrong.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Smellsniffsniff Gravitomagnetism Heats the Sun Registered Senior Member

I said it does, partly.

2 balls equally charged repell eachother.

a storm and a earth surface charged with same sign repell eachother

A earths surface becomes charged from the storm.

conducting plastic dust might also do it, there are conducting plastics.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CheskiChips Banned Banned

The potential difference between the atmosphere and surface is 300000 Volts...on a good day. The earth being the negative pole. Storms such as hurricanes actually generate that potential difference, which means the point of greatest attraction between the earth and the atmosphere is during the strongest storms.

Storms and the earth surface are oppositely charged.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Smellsniffsniff Gravitomagnetism Heats the Sun Registered Senior Member

not where they meet I believe.

8. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Have you ever heard of an ion? The surface has high ion counts, the only time they're identically charged is when lightning strikes. But I'm not explaining it to you, I read the figures straight out of a Climatology book. You're on your own!

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

NONSENSE. Torque is ALWAYS required to stop rotation. In fact all of these natural circulations (your easterly winds in the tropics, winds generally from the west in North America, ETC.) are ALL caused by Coriolis effects. Just naming them as you do, hides their cause.

For example there is less solar heating per square meter as latitude increases. Thus if the Earth were not spinning the surface winds would come from due North and at higher altitude the wind would be going due North. I.e. cold air would sink into the tropics under the warm air there and displace that warm air towards the north.

This effect is still present even with a spinning Earth. For example, the air over England is moving to the east (if viewed from point like the moon) at about 400mph and that near the equator at 1000 mph (as is the ground* below it. Both make a full 360 turn in 24 hours but distance around the Earth is less at England's latitude.) Wind is the DIFFERENCE between the two absolute speeds of surface and air towards the East.

Thus if you could quickly transfer a mass of air from England to the tropics its 400 mph east speed would be about 600mph too slow to keep up with the ground - I.e. there would be a 600 mph wind from the east (Africa) towards the west. But of course the colder surface air over England takes a few days on average to move to the tropics so has lots of time for friction with the earth to accelerate it up to NEARLY {but not quite as then there would be no accelerating friction} local surface speed - It then makes the wind to the west you gave a name to and the Columbus used to find the new world - why he landed in the Caribean as the Hurricanes out of Africa do.

SUMMARY: All this is just a great redistribution of heat and Coriolis forces controlling how that is done.
    I.e. your post is uninformed, name dropping, NONSENSE reflecting zero understanding of the mechanisms.

-----------
    * To take advantage of these high surface speeds near the equator is why all nation place their space launching facilities as close to the equator as they can.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2010
  10. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

yes, by satelites, there's ennuf satelites to reflect more sunlight to a presises area, to increase tempeture by 1 degree, the area that should be heated is the center of the hurricane, , so, the hurricane will diseppear, i don't know if this way is used today, cause the show was about "the net world" about the near future technologies..

11. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Wrong again, a few times.
    Coriolis is counter balanced by the Pressure Gradient Force (PGF). The further south you go the more dominant the PGF becomes, that's what determines geostrophic flow patterns. Hadley cells rotational properties and their distribution proves this pretty conclusively not to mention the physics

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. The line of balance is usually along the ITCZ which in the summer often reaches north of or hovers over the Gulf. Meaning the wind is easterly out of the horn of Africa via large-scale eddies.

Yes, latitudinal latent heat exchange is a large part of the energy budget...that doesn't determine is longitudinal trajectory... You do know that "easterly" means "Moving west" right? If the Earth was not spinning winds would come from due South because pressure gradients would obviously point from the equatorial highs to the polar lows.

At what height? Jet-stream flow is around 80-90 knots relative to the surface. Ooh...I don't think 24 hour wind length is the radius of the earth...if that was true then the subtropical jet would be quicker than polar jet, that's obviously not the case. The polar jet is consistently faster than the subtropical jet...which would have a longer great circle.

Yes...in that latitudinal band you're right. But you're confusing the upper air wind patterns which ALL MOVE EAST ALL THE TIME ALWAYS with the oceanic eddies which tend to favor clockwise motion in the Atlantic.

How many things can you get wrong? I've never corrected a post before which got NOTHING right.
    ---
    Billy T You do know that I am a National Weather Service accredited Meteorologist who specializes in atmospheric dynamics...right?

12. Smellsniffsniff Gravitomagnetism Heats the Sun Registered Senior Member

The lifting layer have the same charge as itself, that's why the EM force effects the gain and loss of the hurricane.

I am not gonna explain that any more unless there is a scientist that doesn't get that, is that clear, CheskiChips?

13. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Well since there's no component of the atmosphere called "the lifting layer" then I think our incommunicado is something I can live with.

14. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I will not bother to reply to you in detail. Just point out that you are posting more NONSENSE and dropping more names with zero understanding of the physics. I only discuss one of your false statements:
    Imagine that you have a long box* aligned NS in a gravity field but not on a spinning Earth and you heat only the south end. The fluid there, be it air or water, will rise as it becomes less dense but it can not leave a vacuum behind where it was.

So contrary to your false claim, quoted above, the surface flow along the "ground floor" to prevent that vacuum from forming is from the north towards the south; but on the higher surface the flow is from the south to the north, as I said, at higher altitude S to N. You have it just backwards to the physics.

--------------
    * Or no box at all - just the gravitationally confined atmosphere of a non-spinning "Earth", but I suspect that imagining a box, especially a water filled one, will help you understand your error. If you have an aquarium with heater at one end, you can even see you are wrong about the circulation.

15. Smellsniffsniff Gravitomagnetism Heats the Sun Registered Senior Member

You don't understand that hurricanes lift huge amounts of particles and that these are at that point charged about the same way?

Will not return a "you're crazy" because that's not how civilised people solve problems.

Will we have a discussion about this?

16. CheskiChips Banned Banned

When you went to school to get your degree in the subject it's not called name dropping, it's called competence.

Wrrroooonnng again Have you heard of a land sea breeze? The driving force is the pressure gradient, because in this instance the pressure gradient is so much more significant than the Coriolis. When sea surface temperatures are warmer than surface temperatures, which way does the surface air flow? Towards the land.

Horizontal flow rates are on the order of 4 to 6 m/s while vertical ascension requires the parcel undergo significant work, and thus its vertical low is on the order of .1 to 1 m/s. This means that the flow higher up does not need to be even CLOSE to the surface winds.

Have you ever noticed the equatorial tropopause is significantly higher in elevation than the polar tropopause? Ever wonder why? Well...I just told you why...

So you can throw all the garbage mind experiment armchair physics you want at me, at the end of the day; I'm a Meteorologist, you're an armchair physicist.

17. CheskiChips Banned Banned

The uplift from a hurricane takes on the ionic characteristics of the storm. In fact, it probably charges it even more...when wind blows against saline structures it's stripped of electrons which gives it a positive charge. The earths surface is negatively charged.

18. Smellsniffsniff Gravitomagnetism Heats the Sun Registered Senior Member

So does negative move against positive, CheskiChips?

does the whole structure of the hurricane change if we conduct out its charge?

19. CheskiChips Banned Banned

It's simply not possible to discharge it...but I can tell you it wouldn't affect the physical composition and integrity of the storm. The only thing that's arguable true is that it wouldn't produce lightning.

20. Smellsniffsniff Gravitomagnetism Heats the Sun Registered Senior Member

You know that statement defies logic, but it'll cut in a science magazine.

-Under scepticism and debunk.

CheskiChips, lightning wouldn't been good in the oil either, I think. It would cause to much polutant GASES, sorry!

21. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Sure, I owned small sail boat when younger and yes if there is acceleration of air mass there is a pressure gradient present, but it is not the fundamental cause - that is the differential heating of the air mass and on a large scale, the Coriolis force on it due to change in latitudes. I.e. the pressure gradient, like the wind, is a RESULT, NOT A CAUSE, of the fundamental effects just mentioned. - I.e. Differential solar heating with latitude (or even large clouds) and a Rotating Earth are the cause of pressure gradients.

You may be a meteorologist, but that is no excuse for getting the physic wrong.

I note you do not even try to show that your POV was correct and mine wrong after I gave you the NS aligned box example
    in post 31. - Even a 10 year old, given that example, knows your physics was wrong.

I will offer you a deal: I won't try to predict tomorrow's weather if you don't try to explain physics.

22. Smellsniffsniff Gravitomagnetism Heats the Sun Registered Senior Member

Billy T, while you're here;

can low weight conducting whires release the charge in the hurricane and therefor make it milder? (if it does)
    I recon if you blew the whire uppwards with a fan it would get the charge and wind over the place in question to lighten.

23. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Yes insignificantly. It would not be by any effect on or of charge, however. It would be because the wind is moving a conductor thru a magnetic field.

To have greater, but still insignificant, effect you need a closed circuit for current flow - get some resistive dissipation. Thus you would be better off to release large copper wire hoops, perhaps held up by He balloons. But again there is just too much energy in a hurricane for man's efforts to do much about it.