Humour

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Benson, Jul 23, 2019.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Some mansplainin' happenin' here.

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Without a woman in sight.
    Words - do they ever mean anything?

Let the one line innuendos from the standard supply begin. Not much hope of humor, but more than the thread started with - more chance of accident.

Kylo Renskins likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Was this really a difficult joke to get?

California is always kidded about sinking/falling into the sea someday due to its location along the San Andreas fault.

The Titanic sank, California is predicted to "sink". The Titanic had it's lights on. The power company in the area of the wild fires shut off power to some of it's customers in that area as a preventative measure (and one that wasn't kindly received).

Asking Iceaura to explain a joke is a joke in and of itself.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

This was the part I was missing. I hadn't made the connection to the real-world current event of California having it's lights shut off. Without that, the joke makes no sense.

Seattle likes this.
  8. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

no, it wasn't

perhaps some people just need to be outraged ... who knows

Seattle likes this.
  9. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I think we may have found the next Sam Kinison (without the humor).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  10. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Nope. It was easy - and familiar.
    You just don't like the implications of finding it funny, when you get it.
    And with it - including the fact that the Titanic was not sunk for profit, and that's one reason its lights were on - the sense it makes is not all that funny. It's a joke about a utility company successfully cheating its customers and then lying about it, after setting fire to their houses and forests and then lying about that - tingle the old funny bone, does it?

Unless you find the success of a bully abusing their classmate, or a con artist cheating an old woman of her savings, hilarious, of course. Senses of humor do vary.

12. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Except of course, you have, as usual, distorted a bad situation and made it worse.

13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

No visible distortion - not from me, anyway.
    I even called your post - and it won't be the only:
    So, apparently, laughing at people who have been cheated, lied to, and burned out by rich and powerful people, does not make things worse.
    And the ability to do that is the sign and signal of a sense of humor - among a certain crowd.
    An identifiable crowd, described long ago by other observers of their hilarity and good time humor, as noted in post 14:
    Meanwhile, progress on the humor front:
    You just repeated the basic sense of my posting, as an "explanation" of your own, apparently without noticing, in the course of complaining about my "explanation".
    The best joke here, from you guys, so far - as predicted above, from the one line innuendos that are your stock in trade: "Not much hope of humor, but more than the thread started with - more chance of accident"

14. Seattle Valued Senior Member

You do realize that no one was burned out by "rich and powerful people". You also realize that California "sinking" is nothing new. However I'll give it to you, you do outrage with the best of them.

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

This thread went off the rails at post 40, where - not being satisfied with merely explaining the joke and the context of it - the subject got turned to personal opining and editorializing about the news event itself, with condescending 'and now you will all make pithy come backs' as mere ego-stroking well-poisoning.

iceaura, this is beneath you. Start your own thread and let's get back on topic please.

16. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

A chemist walks into a pharmacy and asks the pharmacist, “Do you have any acetylsalicylic acid?”

“You mean aspirin?” asked the pharmacist.

“That’s it! I can never remember that word.”

A physicist, a biologist, and a chemist were going to the ocean for the first time. The physicist saw the ocean and was fascinated by the waves. He said he wanted to do some research on the fluid dynamics of the waves and walked into the ocean. Obviously he was drowned and never returned.

The biologist said he wanted to do research on the flora and fauna inside the ocean and walked inside the ocean. He, too, never returned.

The chemist waited for a long time and afterwards, wrote the observation, “The physicist and the biologist are soluble in ocean water.”

17. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

a quick question, if you have time to answer:
    If a neutron gets arrested for assault and battery, is he charged?

18. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Fighting in a thread about ''humor.'' lol
    That’s pretty funny.

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The topic as illustrated by Seattle et al?
    Easy enough'
    Here's a joke for those with a sense of humor as defined by the Benson faction - by one line innuendo and insult, of course, but go with what you've got:
    The topic:
    The joke to check out these scientist people, see if they have a sense of humor:

What's the difference between the Titanic flooding out and Houston flooding out?
    In Houston, the turds in the water already knew how to swim.

Get it? Get it? Huh, get it?
    Not laughing hysterically? No sense of humor? Maybe you're a humorless scientist, or maybe you just aren't up on the context - but we see how that last is handled by the humor-enabled, above, so we can help;
    I'll explain just like the ever classy and fully humor enabled Seattle did, above, and you can follow along.
    Here's the model:
    And following that model, for those who aren't laughing - obviously because they didn't get the joke:

{Was that really a difficult joke to get?
    Texas is always kidded about its racially despised immigrant "minority" population swimming to immigrate, due to its location along a river that marks the Mexican border.
    The Titanic flooded, Houston was and is predicted to flood. Houston proceeded to flood, like the Titanic trapping its lower level citizenry in the lower levels with the mismanaged city's/ship's sewage and other waste. The ship's management shut off access to corporate services, as a preventive measure (and one that wasn't kindly received). }

Note the many uncannily precise similarities - the same corporate management that had shorted its customers on disaster prevention and response infrastructure played a significant role in creating the disaster, for example.

So: lots of yuks? Or don't you have a sense of humor?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

No, actually.
    That's something only a certain US political faction "realizes".
    The reality based community (the "left", "liberal", or "scientific", factions) has quite different realizations.
    And in consequence a very different context for jokes and the like.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  21. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Have you heard the joke about the corporate capitalist rich narcissist who made a buck today? The corporate capitalist Republican (who was a rich narcissist) walked into a bar and asked the union bartender for a drink

The bartender said why should I serve you a drink? You have so much money and I have so little. The rich guy said OK, come and work for me and I'll make you a rich man.

The bartender so, no, I'd rather be poor and complain every day. The rich guy said well then can I have my drink. The bartender gave him his drink.

That one cracks me up every time. If you like that one I've got more. Just let me know.

22. Seattle Valued Senior Member

In an unjust world, the only place for a just man is in prison. Why aren't you in prison?

23. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

I got it and I'm laughing my f*cking ass off! LMFAO
    nope
    actually, I assumed that all Texans were turds, or rather that all Texans from Houston were turds. Of course, I'm likely biased having actually been to Houston and really disliking the place. But then again, you could say the same joke for my home town, or my favourite places in the world, and I would still think it was funny because, oddly enough, I'm not seeking a reason to be outraged about anything, especially as this is a humour thread.

but then again, that's just me, eh?

only in your explanation. I was using a far more basic interpretation than your contorted BS.
    still laughing at it... and now laughing harder because of the posturing.
    but hey, I've seen worse.

calling bullsh*t on this one.
    and every political faction has their own fanaticism or idiocy... this thread is a perfect example of that.

LMFAO
    I'm game! Thanks!