Hummus war between Lebanon and Israel

Discussion in 'Politics' started by S.A.M., Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Guh. Why did I just defend you?

Out.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

If the Arabs didn't want the Israelis to eat Arab food, they shouldn't have expelled all the Arab Jews. They took their home recipes with them.

Israel definitely hasn't "appropriate[d] the entire culture, food, and dress of another nation". Israeli culture is mostly Western, food is a mixture of Western and middle eastern, and dress is definitely Western.

What kind of clothes do they wear in Pakistan, by the way? And where did your alphabet come from?

You used the word "accepted" actually. But yes, I would have recognized/accepted a policy of splitting into two independent self supporting states if that's what they wanted.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So you would have accepted a white South African policy of keeping out black South Africans who wanted to return for the sole purpose of maintaining their white majority

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

Go to any Israeli market or Israeli restaurant and what do you see but bad imitation Arabic food passed of as Israeli food. Falafel, Hummus, Baba Ghanoush, etc. Appropriation of Arabic clothes, music, and other aspects of culture are also common. It is not the fact that they take it, but they do not recognize the source: the Arabs. They pass it off as Israeli, when in actuality it is not. That's the problem.

You tell me. Go ahead, let's see what you know.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

That a jewish version of hummus: there is no single version of hummus. Second of all show me were israeli claims hummus is theirs, you could get some random israeli that believes aliens controls russia but that does not mean every israeli believes that nor that their government has approved of such sentiment.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats falafel not hummus. You have no idea what hummus is, do you?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. superstring01 Moderator

Isn't it an oral-sexual act where you make vocal noises throughout the endeavor?

~String

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Are Israelis particularly good at that?

12. superstring01 Moderator

You lived in the USA but never heard the talk about how Jewish mothers teach their daughters to give head in order to attract rich husbands. Eh... probably a shiksa rumor, anyway.

~String

13. superstring01 Moderator

No... wait... that's a "hummer". Damn. My bad.

~String

14. kmguru Staff Member

A Turkish friend of mine said that the Greeks sell Turkish food in USA and call it Greek Food, as their food is horrible.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

16. superstring01 Moderator

Well, truth be told, here in the USA there aren't enough Greeks but plenty of Turks, so they end up starting Greek restaurants and running them. A local favorite of mine is said to be "Greek-Middle-Eastern" but is run by a Turkish guy and his wife who don't speak a word of Greek or Arabic. When I asked them about Turkish food, they said that it's hard to distinguish some dishes, but for the most part they favor what Americans want.

Also, there aren't any Japanese working in the Japanese restaurants here either: it's mostly Koreans, Chinese, Thai and Mexicans (yes... Mexicans).

~String

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I've eaten in Greek run restaurants in Chicago [e.g. The Parthenon] and they serve Middle Eastern dishes.

18. Kadark Banned Banned

Fuck'n Greeks!

/shakes fist

Kadark

19. superstring01 Moderator

Here's an odd thing, and I'm sure this is going to inflame you, I ate at an "authentic" (as in, run by "off the boat" immigrants) Greek restaurant. They "mashed" the hummus at the table. I was informed that it's a Greek delicacy and is made fresh in Greek tradition. It would appear (and, I'm not claiming expertise) that we should be pissed at those pantheon worshiping philosophers from the Aegean as well.

~String

20. superstring01 Moderator

Yeah yeah. "Leave Cyprus alone!" [go ahead, say it like Chris Crocker]

~String

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So whats the story? I thought the development of a cuisine was supposed to reflect the richness of a culture.

22. superstring01 Moderator

I guess the story is that Greece is also sort of implying that Hummus is their own (or, it could be that those bastards who owned the restaurant were lying sacks of shit). Just a thought.

~String

23. Kadark Banned Banned

I'm a little disappointed in myself, because it took me five whole minutes to comprehend this joke.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Kadark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.