Humanizing Animals

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Orleander, Apr 19, 2009.

1. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Your just like the people who said it was alright to do surgical experiments on animals and infants because they can't feel pain.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

As horrific as this may sound, the reality is that there is no morality and so yes, it is perfectly alright.

This doesn't mean I would support it; I would be opposed. However, I can't say they are "wrong". Although, I wouldn't say those in your avatar would oppose it. Those are the kinds that seek to opress.

I am speaking, of course, of the military and their kind.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

What? whether it is ethical or not is irrelevant. You don't think animals feel pain if you stabbed them in the eye.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Of course they feel pain. Emotions are not the same as physical sensations. Pain is universal; it is the mechanism whereby an organism knows that it is being damaged or has been damaged. Emotion is far more complex and serves a diverse number of roles.

8. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Which is why I said you were like the scientists who didn't believe animals could feel pain. Little was known about the physical body at the time so they made an assertion like that. Little is known about emotions and the brain today.

9. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Even if they do feel pain, what is your point? Morality does not exist.

Sure, we can try to sugar coat the world with fairies and gods and "good and evil" and "justice" and all of that rubbish, but that is a delusion.

10. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Funny.

The black Alsatian where I work on Tuesdays seems pretty fond of me. He happily comes up to me and will sit for ages while I hug him and stroke his fur.

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes, he enjoys your stroking and kindness. Not you.

12. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

And why does he enjoy bonding behaviour with someone who isn't a member of his pack? It's not necessarily conducive to his survival..

13. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Norse: What about the black dog where I live who always protects me from the angry one next door?

That isn't good for his survival. I only see him when I go for a walk, yet he protects me from another more aggressive animal. Not logical in your terms.

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

It's more practical than emotional. If they go hungry, they WILL attack you.

15. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Then shouldn't he want to keep someone smaller around?

He's a great big Alsatian, but still, I'm a 55kg human. I'm upright and can kick. One dog is going to have a hard time actually killing me.

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I didn't say he will kill you; he will attack you, or attack other dogs, or attack in general. Survival comes first, and the dog won't spare you if it means eating. It wouldn't spare me, either.

It's a brutal world.

17. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

"If it means eating" being the operative word.

I'm a little hard to eat.

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yet if you and the dog were starving, you would turn on each other. Just like people turn on each other.

19. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

So people don't really love each other either, then?

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Agreed.
    Although.. they actually do exist for our pleasure, that's what they are bred for.

It's not like they have much of a choice.

Yes, but when are you ever consciously surviving ? This primal urge is not what defines you.

Of course, not. But that's not because it is an animal. It's because it's a different animal than we are. Dogs see us as alpha group members; caretakers if you will.

That may go for cats and other less social animals, but dogs are highly social creatures. They bond with the group and are loyal to it. Most dogs would starve before leaving.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Define love ?

22. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

I treat my cat better than I treat most people...

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Me too, but then they deserve it more than most people

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!