Humanistic Behaviorism

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Asexperia, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

It's only one person, one mind.

Both.

Not necessarily.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

Schehe, Very interesting your contribution.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

My bad, I saw "laws of balanced behavior", a few really bizzarre assertions (ex. sex and bestiality?), and assumed this was pseudo. Carry on.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

I’m curious. Did you find scheherazade’s questions interesting, or are you an actual psychologist, who has never heard of Maslow’s triangle?

8. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

I said that for the forum, not for me. It's as if I thought an accountant doesn't know MS-EXCEL.

You assumed very bad. You're wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
  9. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

In your profile, you give your location as the Caribbean Sea, Sibilia.

Is English your first or second language, if you do not mind me asking? I only ask because some nuances of grammar spark my curiosity and while English is the official language of that region,
    The above statistic from Wikipedia.

10. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

And yet that one person can cease to exist, and another can pop into existence.

Personality is an illusion?

11. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

The jury is still out, Crunchy. By the way your user name has a positive psychological effect.

Sibilia on the other hand . . . well, the jury's still out.

12. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

Spanish is my mother tongue, English second. Some islands speak French. I am from Dominican Republic.

13. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

I don't understand your comment.

No, it's a construct.

14. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

In rereading your opening post, Sibilia, I sense that you are attempting to convey the idea that the ability to distinguish between extremes and effectively moderate our conduct is the humanistic aspect of our behavior and is the defining line between ourselves and other creatures.

We have a very defined sense of self in relation to other persons and influences.

Though the question of free will is long debated, it is my opinion that we do have free will in the sense that we can choose and change our attitude in response to experience.

Is there an aspect of human behavior that you find especially puzzling?

15. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

You said there is one person, one mind. I was adding the other kind of person, one who has multiple personalities.

Then there are people who seem to have difficulty being authentic, perhaps for reasons unrelated to actual mental disorder, but simply because they manifest behavior problems, such as the pathological personality.

16. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

Well, it seems that the messages have disappeared.

I answered: I said that for the forum, not for me.

PS: My name is Elvis Sibilia, 48 years old. Spanish is my first language and English second.

17. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

Personality is the set of traits that characterizes an individual. The mind is the entity that controls behavior and it's formed for ideas, feelings and motives. The Ego is the awareness of one's own identity.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  18. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

SATISFACTION AND SELF-ACTUALIZATION

The satisfaction is the fulfillment of a need, desire or passion in particular.
    Self-actualization is the total fulfillment of one's talents and abilities, the realization of a person's potential. Through self-actualization, one makes "actual" what was once only possible (for example, a talented singer becomes the best soloist that person could possibly be). Some psychologists explain human motivation with the concept of self-actualization. Twentieth-century psychologist Carl Rogers argued that all people seek self-actualization and that this drive accounts for why they do some of what they do (as well as for personality development). In 1943 Abraham Maslow suggested that humans act to meet a hierarchy of needs, the last of which is self-actualization. Self-actualization is typically taken to be a lengthy, difficult process.
    But more than the fulfillment of our desires, it's the overcoming of the obstacles that come up that produce us the true fulfillment: the Self-actualization.

19. Mazulu Banned Banned

Nice picture.

20. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Self Actualization may be the ultimate 'Humanistic Behaviorism' in my observation and opinion.

There are many paths to this state and the motivation is variable between individuals and cultures. Some are motivated to actually help others while some are content to not impede others, perceiving that the greater value may lie in allowing them to determine their own path.

Just my thoughts of this morning.

21. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

Note that there is something that unites humanity, and it's the healthy competition and discussion without aggression and insults. :wave:

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I don't think so. It's just the highest step on Maslow's Hierarchy that we can see from here. At the dawn of the Agricultural Revolution 12KYA, I don't think anybody could have imagined such a thing as "self actualization." As more and more of us move up to this step, the next one will become visible.

Look at any article on Maslow's Hierarchy and you'll note that the text describing self actualization is much sparser than the other steps. We barely understand what it is! So there's surely another step lurking just out of sight, that we couldn't understand even if somebody explained it.

Maslow himself tells us that the self-actualized human will have fellowship with humanity, a deep identification with others and the human situation in general, in addition to profound interpersonal relationships, marked by deep loving bonds. This sounds like someone who will decide on a case-by-case basis what he can and should give to each individual person. So he'll probably be actively helping some, while simply getting out of the way of others, and everything in between.

23. Gustav Banned Banned

so ah...none of.....

...that for our ancestors? what then? the nasty, brutish and short screed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.