Huge island of rubbish floating off California, 6x Size of Britain

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by common_sense_seeker, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

Incredible stuff indeed Huge island of rubbish floating off California. Something to be proud of?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. WillNever Valued Senior Member

It's just an area of the ocean with a higher than average concentration of garbage, not an actual island.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dredd Dredd Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Jesus Christ, island or not is this true? I mean, it's actually fucking noticeable?

Thank you, capitalism. Awesome.

8. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

yep old news its where all the trash collects.. u know what pisses me off anymore we arent going to do anything about it... experts say if all of that was to disolve into the water everything in the ocean would most likely die i think i read somewhere it said 95-98% is plastic

9. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

im no tree hugger but looking at the pictures of it makes me truly sad

10. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

why do they thorw trash in the sea, they can make some of them into earth fertilizers, here in tunisia, near my city, and the city sousse, there was a small trash mountain, all the trashes get burned effcorse, and now, it's a big green park, they didnt remoove any trash, they planted on it, after adding some soil, on the top of it, they can do teh same in the world, maybe put them underground, undersome meters in the ground, and advantially, it will turn into a group of fertilizers, also plants, maybe plating fast growing plants there, can help to fertilize those materials, and the rest of metals and stuff, can be reused, from that map, in the first link, i didnt thoght that earth have so much trash in the sea, wow, this really needs an urgent

11. John99 Banned Banned

Burning trash is worse than putting it into a landfill, from an environmental standpoint anyway. i should say supposedly worse due tot he smoke but there are ways to trap the smoke via precipitators and other methods. then you are left behind with a concentrated ash that may be toxic and that still needs to be dumped. unless there is some use for it and i am sure something can be come up with.

12. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

i think trapping smoke is a good idea, there also other chimical poudre, i studied about it at school last year, i forgot it's name, anyway, this mater, can capture the CO2, and keep it there, this is also another way to capture CO2, they can also let the CO2, released, at the, i forgot also what's the name of this solution, i don't know it's english name, that one, when he smells CO2, he look like dirty, they can use this one also, to capture the released CO2, then, they can purify this solution, or clean it, like they clean the used water, also don't know the english name,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

sorry, bad english in the scientifc words, this is a better solution, at least better than let them go in the sea, they can burn them, and keep the CO2, in tanks, then use one of those maters, to capture it, then, purify that solution, or release that mater, in specific made natures, or small forests, so they can get analyzed by natrue, after all they are formed in anture not in labs,

13. John99 Banned Banned

Incineration plants use mostly precipitators (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_precipitator), unless there is something new and there probably is.

There are different types of waste too - medical, hazardous waste, household etc. often times burning is very bad but i havent kept up with the technology. The thing is though that even if the smoke is dealt with you are left with fly ash.

Fly ash is very toxic:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=high volume waste incineration&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

14. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

oh, i see

15. John99 Banned Banned

In incineration plants the end product is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_ash - http://images.google.com/images?q=fly ash&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

I think those links just mention coal but burning garbage with an incineration plant looks just like that. - http://www.google.com/search?q=solid waste fly ash&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

household garbage, like paper, wood and non toxic stuff can be made into cement or brick. burning does not reduce trash down 100% and i am not sure of the percentage but you are still left with solid waste.

Although waste can be used for fuel from burning or perhaps methane gas.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  16. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

yeah, exactly, it don't go 100percent, the remaining trashes after burning, can be used as earth fertilizer, or make that land a big park, the park that i told you about, was great, i mean, very green,
    and yeah, propably recycling what they can is better, but what about the non-recyclebal?
    i think they can find out what to do with it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

oh, thanks for the links =)
    they were usefull

18. John99 Banned Banned

i know, i have seen landfills that were greener than most golf courses and that is from unburned garbage too.

still the best way is to treat trash according to what it is made up of. separate the plastic, the metal, the paper, food trash etc. when i was younger i would clean the table after eating and my grandmother used to watch me make faces at how bad it was and she would say 'a few minutes ago it was food'.

19. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

yeah, after all, they could use trash in a better way, they want loose anything, but they will also save inviremtn, how much will they loose, some thousands of dollars, from billions of dollars that they earn each year, they can recycle what it can be recycled, and green what it can be soiled

20. TFL ʞǝǝƃ ɐ ʇsnɾ Registered Senior Member

I wonder what the ecology surrounding these garbage islands is like...

21. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

oh, it's wonderfull!!
    and full with beautifull smells!!

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

hmmm, good question. Like an artificial reef that floats.

23. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Fuck me...I had no idea.

This is more important than climate change in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.