Hp Vs Dell - Good priced gaming cpu

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Makaveli, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makaveli Registered Senior Member

IM currently looking for a new gaming computer. As of right now im looking at either a Dell or HP. Did anyone pick up or see any specials that were worth it latlty? What do you guys think would be a good gaming computer without spending an arm and a leg?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

just make sure it got latest video cards and large RAM

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

mid range dell designed for gaming is pretty good and well bout 4 or 5 years

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Makaveli Registered Senior Member

is there anyway to bargan with them and lower the prices?

8. draqon Banned Banned

what u got? $

9. Makaveli Registered Senior Member

well i really dont want to go over $1100 ish. Depending on whats included and how good the deal is.

10. draqon Banned Banned

well if you want I can sell you my laptop for 600$. It is Compaq presario...Sempron processor 3000+ (but I have updated this computer big time)
    1.79 Ghz, 896 RAM, 2 video cards (Supreme Commander *2007 game* runs awsome)
    wireless, cd burner/dvd reader, wireless. And this computer has wide screen.
    The only problem is the keyboard, however you can order a new laptop keyboard from compaq company for 100$. Interested?

11. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I would go with Dell. Have you built a comparable system using HP.com yet? It's like the same god damn stuff but costs more! Also there is 1 problem related to your question... I've bought Dell systems myself over the last few years, I got an XPS 400 for myself 1st, then when I noticed blitter noise on it (interference with the onboard sound like hissing) I trashed the thing, I was pretty fucked up at the time.

2nd I ordered an E521 for my friend Kim, she's an online buddy but a good older female non-the-less. Anyways I got her one to replace the aging computer she had.... lucky thing it had a warrenty because something was not quite right with the onboard audio (so I'm told). Someone went there and replaced the mobo :shrug: I cannot decide if she was just to dumb to fix it or if the hardware really was faulty...

So I got the female that PC, anyway...

Next I ordered myself an E521, it has an x2 3800 AMD processor... it was ok :L The thing played Half Life 2, but then again in my experience anything plays this game :shrug: so yea, I was totally annoyed cuz it could not run Oblivion or anything... now its onboard audio was alright, no blitter noise there... the real issue came when I wanted a new videocard. Dell + HP + others purposely limit the PSU in their systems, sooooo if you wanna game or anything you can't do it on their 300 watt PSU! I've heard stories about how they under-rate their power supplies but don't believe it... I threw in an eVGA 7600 GS but the god damn fan on it was so loud I just sent it to my friend.

Later I tried an ATI 1650 512 RAM, sadly guess what it did??????? When I ran audio like MP3's they'd skip?! I was like wtf.... I then tried playing MP3's again, just to see.... my entire computer, everything, it basically restarted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right, whether the PSU was to low to power my videocard, what the hell causes a computer to restart playing an MP3 file? I call it BS.... I trashed that computer and now I have none....

So moral of the story, build it yourself because later you'll wanna put a great kick-ass videocard in it and won't be able to.

12. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

You must build your own nowdays to get a "good" gaming PC.

Even though Dell bought Alienware, well they were overpriced before that...now it's rediculous and they suck.

Find a good mom/pop or rather cheapandgeek PC shop and get them to trow the parts together.

13. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I have a dell E521 thats just gone to have its motherboard replaced after only 2 months. Make of that what you will but my advice is to wait til they change their offers to something favourable like extended warranties and the like.

14. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I'm unimpressed with HP due to their use of "restore partitions" that have a bunch of garbage bundled with them. As far as hardware specs go, I've never been impressed with Compaq/HP's products (for gaming). I've also had a bad history with their computers using proprietary parts, so it's hit or miss whether or not upgrades are feasible if needed. IMO - HP is perfect for elderly people who want neatly packaged cheap PC solutions that will last for a few years.

Dell makes reasonable computers, and sends you an OEM disk. I would consider getting a dell (assuming you absolutely HAD to choose between a low cost HP and a low cost Dell).

Otherwise than that, nietzschefan is right. If you have a budget of 1100 bucks, you should build your own, or ask the local PC-store clerk to build it for you.

Do you need to buy a new monitor too, or do you just need the PC itself (and no peripherals)? I guess that's the only advantage with buying an HP/DELL package b/c they always include a monitor/printer/other goodies.

15. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

There's not a gaming computer worth having from either Dell or HP.

If you truly want a gamer, you must either build it yourself, or pay someone who games to build it for you, otherwise you're just wasting your money.

You said your budget is $1100. Go to Newegg, put together a system, and post a link to it on here, and i can tell you if what you've selected is worth a crap or not.

16. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

This is very, very true. It is beneficial for economic reasons and quality reasons.

17. John99 Banned Banned

Games are all CPU so get the fastest INTEL CPU you can, then video card 256mb is good enough, 2 gigs ram. and even a 10k rpm drive, mmm no 2 drives/

Dell builds nice systems, pretty quiet too.

And blow it out with compressed air every 6 months

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Stick to the Religion forum.

19. John99 Banned Banned

I know what i am talling about.

20. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

The only exception to this rule (IMO) is if you're a mobile (laptop) gamer as opposed to a desktop gamer. Dell is the way to go on that end.

21. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Toshiba seems to do some good computers too. Currently I'm running one of their satellite laptops, The only things I've noticed so far is Vista's buggy and the laptop would serious burn my leg with the power cord in. (Should set power savings more)

It's up to you if you want to go with a brand name, or look at building your own. The difference is that you pretty much get what you pay for with a brandname, however if you build one you can learn more about your machine, it's specs and what you can do to upgrade in the future.

The downside however is the lack of support, which is only a problem if you are one of the computer illiterates that need support to help you on occasion.

23. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I am lazy now, I suggest you just goto Best Buy, spend some dough, get a warrenty... then in the future when it konks out you can just go by any store and have it fixed :C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.