How would "freethinkers" deal with children who turn religious?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Jul 20, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Both of my children have gone to church. My son quit going when they couldn't answer his question in a logical manner.
    My daughter still goes and loves it.

I let my children choose their own path. Considering we all end up the same, I don't see that it matters.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Q and a christian woman? Q, what in the hell were you thinking? i mean, Q, what in the hell were you thinking with?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It appears you both have reading comprehension issues. The Christian woman is in the article linked by Sam. In other words, Sam put forth a bogus article to make her point. The children were already indoctrinated by their Christian mother. Kapeesh?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

And, it doesn't bother you that your daughter will end up being indoctrinated into a cult, brain dead and deluded?

9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

well darn, cause that would have been funny.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Nope. You see religion as being evil. I see religion as being a choice. As long as she isn't harmed, why would I care about it? I have seen religion do many wonderful things for people. Salvation Army comes to mind.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Downright impossible.

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Indoctrination is not a choice.

Let me repeat; indoctrinated, brain dead and deluded. That is serious harm to your daughter.

So, you believe a charitable organization has the requirement for cult belief in order to be "wonderful?" Ever hear of the Red Cross?

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

No, so. Since birth my children have been told what to eat, how to behave, how to dress. How is this not indoctrination? Its not as if they are forced to go. If they don't want to, they don't have to. But if they want to, I support them in their choice.

14. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

all things are possible with god.

doesn't that make you excited?

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Obviously you don't know the difference between indoctrination and teaching.

You are supporting her indoctrination. That's your choice. Sad, indeed.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm not narrow minded I guess. Its her path to make

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That is absolutely false, Lori. So far, after repeated requests from me, you have yet to have your god visit me. It would appear not very much is possible with god.

18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Now, you're deluded.

She's not making it, the cult is.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

The isn't forced to go to church. She isn't forced to read a bible. She isn't forced to be in a choir. They are all things she enjoys. No different than going to cheer-leading practice, learning cheers, going to camp. Its what she enjoys.

I'm not a 'my way or the highway' kind of parent. What kind of parent would I be if I forced her to be an atheist when she didn't want to be?

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

you have to request this yourself! :wallbang:

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Fine. She enjoys the indoctrination... but, she probably doesn't know she's being indoctrinated. Neither do you if you believe what she's doing is relative to cheer-leading or going to camp... unless it's a Christian camp.

No one is asking you to force her to do anything. But, most certainly, you should at the very least, teach her something about what she's getting into. But, I fear you don't know the difference.

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Yeah, we've already been down that road, Lori. And, since your god has refused or ignored my pleas, it's up to you to talk with him and convince him to visit me.

Don't you think that act would be worthwhile for you? If you did as I requested and your god visited me, you would have a seriously huge victory on your hands. Think about it, YOU would have changed an atheist like me into a Christian.

That doesn't entice you in the least?

23. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

no. but i'll pray for you anyway. grrrrr....

what pleas? you don't even believe in the remote possibility of his existance. so, why would you plead with god? that makes no sense.