How would "freethinkers" deal with children who turn religious?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Jul 20, 2009.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Any thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd think that most parents want their kids to become like themselves in many ways. They teach their kids what they believe in most cases and then hope for the best. The kids either accept or reject what their parents believe and if the parents are loving, understanding and accepting then they will still love their kids no matter what they decide. It is parents that cannot accept their rejection of their values and beliefs that are the ones who lose their respect for their own kids and therefore lose their love as well.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

If I had a child I would raise them according to the beliefs that have come to be instilled in me. Preaching? No. Indoctrination? No. Not even an education regarding where those beliefs came from unless they ask specific questions. Of course I would want to share my life and myself with them honestly, but not to burden them.

I honestly believe that it is every individuals right and responsibility, according to their own experience to believe, and I believe in freedom.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mike47 Banned Banned

I honestly do not think it is important what people think about religions as long as they are fair, just, non racist, law abiding persons and see life and issues as they are rather than living in streams of wrong hopes and dreams . We ought to be realistic and fair in all aspects of life . Thanks .

8. Doreen Valued Senior Member

A tangential quibble but at many points in history being law abiding was racist. Perhaps there are laws now that to follow would be immoral.

9. Bishadi Banned Banned

welcome to America! That is the root of the 'invisible hand' and why the west and the preferred religion fits

If no one fibbed to the kid, then fibs would not be OK

scepticism will impose responsibility if responsibility to actions are taught

that is humanism in itself; teaching the next generation the rules of compassion (no need of religion to do that)

best comment the man ever made

not if the root of observing the religious material was coupled with it being HISTORICAL RENDITIONS (rather than a 'word of god')

nothing is ill concieved if what is taught is true.

eg.... you need oxygen to breath more than a religion to believe!

keep it simple stupid: KISS

10. Alien Cockroach Banned Banned

To the thread title: I don't think that a non-religious parent would care as long as it did not affect the child's grades. An honor student is an honor student is an honor student. Atheists generally put more emphasis on education and talent than they do on anything else.

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I don't like to think of it in this way; rather, religious people don't put a good emphasis on education and talent. Atheists don't do anything, because "atheist" only means non-believer. You could be an atheist hillbilly or atheist genius.

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Every freethinker would LOVE if his/her kid were a Mormon (well, I guess Muslim too), ASSUMING the kid really believes in it and keeps the practice.

I mean who could object to a teenager, who doesn't drink, do drugs and doesn't have sex???

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Bishadi Banned Banned

perhaps, every other teenager?

14. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Most teenagers don't do drugs already. A large percentage of them don't drink either, and probably contain most of the ones who don't have sex until college or even later.

Such things are not uncommon.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

My children would of course be free to think as they wish. If they chose to talk about it, they would certainly get a lively debate from me!

16. Bishadi Banned Banned

doooooooooo drugs?

i agree

have, will or gonna; try, become addicted or be exposed too?

please, check the figures again?

sex? if they have a TV, or even half way oriented to modern society and the marketing coupled with associating with same age in the western environment.............be certain the 'words' and concepts are being worked over.

parents are having a tough time even allowing 'their' kids to have open email accounts with spammers sending every kind of enlarging, social, friends, big booped vacation you can imagine

i think the cartoons playing at 5-10pm each night have characters drinking beer, eating TV dinners and wondering if the children are theirs.

drinking is nastier than the sex-drugs issues

the legal junk kills more than the other 2 combined

but i agree, drinking is not a real issue with kids before the age of social development

17. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

As long as my kids were happy, I would be happy.

18. Bishadi Banned Banned

have you ever taught them the importance of being like 'rabbits'?

does your whole family (a body) good.

19. mike47 Banned Banned

I think the reference was made to religions and not rabbits.....!. Lool .

20. Bishadi Banned Banned

yea but rabbits do lots for that thing called 'life' (the progression)

they make lot's of babies and

they convert lots of grass to food (better than cows do)

they rock for a cool critter to teach a kid some lessons on

they key is, they need to know 'how it applies'

eg.. if the kid knows that they are actually YOUR life into the next generation and that the more babies they make, the more you and all your parents have a chance to live longer; heck just by teaching them that, you 'honor your mother and father'

sorry,

i was having a moment;

perhaps i should wipe this time, enmos?

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think it's already too late, Mr. Hammer.

22. Bishadi Banned Banned

i think i liked it better when i just an illiterate (and stinky)

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Who cares? The OP asked about parents, not peers...