How to steal a radio tower 101

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by Syzygys, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

If you think your CB signal is just too weak, or you just want to start your own Wi-Fi hotspot, you might need a radio tower first:

http://www.wjactv.com/news/17432092/detail.html

"Police in Somerset County are trying to figure out how a radio tower went missing in Windber. Police say a group of people had a very thorough plan to get all 120 feet of steel and copper down from the old Windber radio tower.

Police believe the thieves threw cables over the guidelines of the tower and yanked it down with a truck. Police also found cut bolts and torch marks on nearby grass. Police say the tower had to be cut into small pieces in order to get it out of the wooded area, but they can't figure out how they did it without anybody noticing."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Perhaps they did it at night!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but there had to be some noise involved and activity. I wonder how many people it took to get the job done. I would say minimum 4....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So no one thought it belonged to anyone since it was not in use and decided to make the old tower useful to them. Two people could have done this and all police would need do is go to the local scrap metal yard and see if they have bought anything looking like that recently.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Sure, 2 people also can build a pyramid, it just takes more time...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That is one sorry deffense: "your honor, we thought it was garbage and we just recycled it..."

9. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I tell you what, the scrap value for copper is so high right now, theives will steal it from anywhere. They stole the wiring off the lights at the local little league field, and rain gutters off of churches. One of them even cut into a main fiber optic trunk cable, thinking it had copper in it...instead they just knocked out phone and internet for a quarter of the city.

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

They also steal manholes from the roads, I would cut their hands off... Also whoever buys it as scrapmetal...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.