How to save the Earth ?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Futurist, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Futurist Banned Banned

Hi,

if the earth is gone, we all die too.
    what can we contribute in our daily life to save the earth from pollution and so on?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I would think the first question to ask is, " Are we in a state of runaway pollution?"

There are a lot of differing opinions out there.

There is no denying that we have had an effect upon our enviroment. The history of the earth shows that it has been in a state of change throughout its existance. Could we have breathed the primoral atmosphere that existed before plants arrived on the scene?

I agree that there is but one home for us and that if we don't houseclean, nothing else on the earth is going to do it for us.

For me it is a driving reason to see space used to our benefit. At the present time all of our eggs are in one basket. We are tied to the earth for our very existance. It is now being shown to us that this is not our only threat. There is also the possiblity of us going the way that so many species in the past have went. Extinct. One good asteroid strike could put us in the same position as those that have went before us.

Such a scenario is something that if we heard we would be hit next month, we could do nothing about, except watch it come. Pollution is a slow poisoning but none the less effective. Unless we have another home I am afraid that there will be no one to jump to the task until it is too late to make a difference.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Futurist Banned Banned

wet 1,

you are concerned about the earth, good!
    we need more people like you,

we can help by recycling our coca cola cans, use both sides of paper etc.....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I was gonna start a thread about recycling

More people to confuse me

No, no we couldn't. Nothing could have survived in Earths very first atmosphere

confused: ). If I remember back to Biology lessons, wasn't it mostly Water Vapour and Ammonia?

We have a secret weapon though. Humans have the uncanny gift of surviving against all odds. We are very adaptable to changing environments. Probably one of the main reasons we are the dominant species

Anyway, I try to do my best for the Earth. I recycle paper and card. Put all my biomass on a compost heap in the garden, I don't litter and I do various other things but atm, I can't remember them.

Every little helps.

8. spookz Banned Banned

isnt this place cleaner (on the whole) than say 30 yrs ago??

9. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Give a hoot! Dont pollute!

10. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

11. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Technically oxygen itself is a pollutant. The first photosynthetic organisms produced it as a wasteproduct that nothing could survive.

In the next million years >99% of the life on earth (all bacteria as far as we know) went extinct. The rocks themselves burned (rapid oxidation. moonrocks do this on contact with modern air. So would mars rocks) whenever they were uncovered. Only a few resistant anarobic organisms lived on to diversify. Others developed a way to use oxygen as a fule.

The same thing could happen again if pollution got TRUELY out of hand. I don't think we can go a billion years out or our way to re-evolve multicellular life and another billion to re-evolve sapience.

Puts things into perspective, dosn't it?

12. monkapotomus tortured brain Registered Senior Member

kill the humans

13. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

There's a person who really cares more about Earth than him\herself...unless aliens have invaded already

14. monkapotomus tortured brain Registered Senior Member

they have, where have you been?

15. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Vegitariens eat vegitables. Do humanitariens eat humans?

16. monkapotomus tortured brain Registered Senior Member

i eat female humans.

17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Adaptable to changing environments because we ourselves are changing the environments? Isn't it so that a lot of species, like tigers and so on get extinct because of us, humans?

Is that the reason you say we are the dominant species? I do not think we are, though. Humans have spread themselves all over the globe and invaded every single piece of Earth that originally belonged to nature and her inhabitants like tigers and the like. So, the animals have to make room for the overpopulated human race.

This can not always go on, the way it does. At some point, humans have to stop this kind of behaviour. The dominant species? Or the species that is most present at the moment here on Earth? Is that a good thing? I doubt it highly. I would say, the human race is the most arrogant species to think they have the sole reign over the Earth, with their pollutant factories and thinking they can easily go on the way we are doing now. Animal species are killed because they are "a danger" to humans. Which is ridiculous, humans want living space and that is why the animals have to die.

At some point it will be enough and then it is: Goodbye human race, or change your behaviour drastically, which will probably not happen, 'cause humans have the stunning attitude to think that it all will be alright and nothing can stop them from their silly polluting inventions and behaviour.

May an asteroid or other natural disaster come and do its work. Clean Earth so it can start over again with less humans and hopefully some other species will get the chance to live again. If you get my point...

18. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Life will evolve to take advantage of us, as it has done with everything else in its history. Remember, oxygen itself is a pollutant.

One type of fern in Omaha (found in an old Asarco refinery lot) has found how to concentrate heavy meatals in its tissues without becomeing sick. Anything that eats is dies. Advantage.

19. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Better yet, invent "homo superior" and watch it take over and adapt to this world better than we can. Don't worry about some God sending down a lightning bolt (or asteroid) from the heavens to take care of us, we'll find a way to do it on our own.

20. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Why just one Homo Superior? Why not many varieties?

21. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Because, after the first one takes over, such dangerous technology to create advanced humanity will be removed from our immature hands.

22. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

why physically take over at all? With domanant alleles they could breed with us and all children would be Homo Superior. They could look just like us so who would know.

23. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Several reasons:

1. Interspecies breeding rarely works.
    2. When it does, the cross-breed is a mutant with some features of both species (horse+donkey=jacka**).
    3. The mutant could be viewed as a threat to the "pure" species.
    4. Even the sub-species could be a threat to the superior-species (even if inadvertently).
    5. The world is already overcrowded.