How to respond to a reply of a get well soon note?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by kira, May 26, 2010.

1. kira Valued Senior Member

Sorry if this question is silly, I honestly confused what to do, and this kind of situation happpens sometimes, so I wish to know how to react properly.

A person whom I respected much was suddenly got a heart attack about a week ago. He was treated in hospital and went unconscious. As soon as I know that, I sent an email wishing him a speedy recovery. I know that the person couldn't read the email, but I was hoping that when he's already able to check his mail again, I wish him know that he was in my thought and prayer.

Today he replied my email saying thanks and not to worry, also wrote it will take several weeks before he can return to office.

He's like a father for me, but more in a formal sense. However, I feel sad because he always helped me a lot (in an academic sense).

What's the appropriate conduct? If I reply or even ask permission to visit, will it disturb him? Shall I even reply at all? What to write

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Ask him if he feels up to a visit from you, that way he will decide if he wants you to stop by.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kira Valued Senior Member

Thanks, Cosmic, I will think about it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

If you're close enough to him to speak frankly, then by all means ask him what he would like. Some people want a lot of visitors, some don't. Some like to talk about the illness, some don't. Some want help taking care of their personal business, some want you to bring them books or magazines or music, some would like you to smuggle their beloved little dog or cat into their room, some would appreciate helping get the info out to all their friends and family.

Everybody responds differently to a serious illness. The best you can do is ask what he wants. Then, assuming he wasn't offended, ask again later in case he changes his mind or thinks of something he forgot.

8. kira Valued Senior Member

Thanks very much for your suggestion, Fraggle. Since some hours ago, while doing other things, I kept thinking what to do and had no clue. Oh phewww I should have posted the question here much earlier. Thanks again for your help!!