How to remove winservn.exe???

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by 1119, May 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1119 Registered Senior Member

Can anyone tell me how I can delete winsern.exe from my computer?

I don't know when but Purity Scan somehow managed to download itself into my computer. I've removed basically much of its components except for this one file that embedded itself in Windows/System/... as "winservn.exe". Any attempt to delete it will prompt a message saying it is currently in use.

Appreciate anyone who can spare any advice.

Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

If you are sure to remove it , boot up in dos mode and try erase.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SG-N Registered Senior Member

Create a ".bat" file with this content :
    " ECHO O | DEL C:\Windows\System\winservn.exe "
    Then, in autoexec.bat, add "CALL your_file.bat".
    When you will reboot, it should erase your winservn.

Have you try to stop the winservn process before to erase it ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. LSatyl Registered Senior Member

Download, install and run Spybot Search & Destroy, the best free anti-spyware program available. Their site also has details on how to run the program, how to receive the free updates, and a load of information on spyware programs and corporations.

If you know how to use regedit, you can also remove it manually:

- Start Regedit
    - Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Run\
    - Remove the key "NetApp = C:\windows\system\winserv.exe"
    - Reboot

I advise you to use spybot however. It also removes all other programs and registry tracking keys.

hth

8. 1119 Registered Senior Member

Thanks guys. I finally managed to get rid of it through regedit though I heard working the regedit is like working a nuclear bomb - one wrong step and your system is screwed.

9. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

actually there is no need to fear to handle regedit. for safety first export the current registry file as a back-up. if you have problems you can always import that. also there are other things like system.dat file (hidden ,with read-only attribute). a backup of this file is kept in rb???.cab files in sysbckup dir in windiwos dir. using extract command you can always restore the pervious system.dat file from the latest cab file.

10. ihathis Registered Member

I got it and all I did was run msconfig and remove winservn.exe from startup then either restart or ctrl+alt+delete and go into processes and end the winservn process. Then just go delete the program.

11. BillyD Registered Member

So I guess this thing is some kind of spy program? What does it do? My Norton Security box keeps popping up and asking if I want to block it or allow it. I'm blocking it.

Thanks

BillyD

12. LSatyl Registered Senior Member

winservn.exe is spyware

Read more at Advertising Spyware .

You can use the removal instructions supplied in this thread, or the article I linked, but a better option is to use Spybot Search and Destroy.

Spybot will not only remove winservn, but also the other thousands of spyware programs, cookies and registry keys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.