How to prove this?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Pim, May 20, 2003.

1. Pim Registered Senior Member

Hi everybody,

For a while i have been trying to prove the following, until now without succes:

The integral of (x-1)*(x-1/2)*(x-1/3)*...*(x-1/k) for x=0 to 1, is smaller than zero for all k>3, where k is an integer.

I got this one of a fellow student, he didn't know where he got it anymore. I'm almost sure that it holds, I computed it for many values of k with help of Maple. Increasing k seems to let the value of the integral converge to zero, but it remains negative.

I tried estimating the integral with other integrals, but in this way i only succeeded in proving that the integral is smaller than 1/k! .

I hope someone can help..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Pim

Last edited: May 20, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pim Registered Senior Member

Hi again,

A friend of mine came up with the following step to proving this inequality. Let's call the function (x-1)*(x-1/2)*..*(x-1/k) to be integrated f(x). Then we can estimate:

integral(f(x),x=0..1/2) <= integral( |f(x)|, x=0..1/2 ) <=1/2 * |f(0)|=1/2 * 1/k! .

The piece of f(x) between 1/2 and 1 is always negative. If we can prove that integral( f(x), x=1/2..1) < -1/2 *1/k!, we have proved the inequality. But how to do this?

Any ideas?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lethe Registered Senior Member

i m not sure i agree with the last step of that inequality. can you justify it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pim Registered Senior Member

You mean integral( |f(x)|, x=0..1/2 ) <=1/2 * |f(0)| ?

8. lethe Registered Senior Member

yes

9. Pim Registered Senior Member

Mm, now that you mention it. I thought that |f(x)| always had its maximum in x=0 on the interval [0,1/2], that's why i estimated it like that but i now wonder is this true...

Last edited: May 21, 2003
  10. Pim Registered Senior Member

No it is not true...thanks for pointing me this

11. lethe Registered Senior Member

f(1/2)=0, right? so that should be a minimum.

12. Pim Registered Senior Member

No, 1/2 is a root of this polynomial, not a minimum..

13. lethe Registered Senior Member

anyway, as far as actually constructing a proof, i didn t have much luck. all i could come up with with my unoriginal brain is to expand the damn thing. which didn t get me anywhere. but i ll ask a friend or two, if you like.

14. lethe Registered Senior Member

yes yes, but when you take the absolute value, like you did, all roots become minima.

15. Pim Registered Senior Member

I cannot get it proved either...very frustrating. Yes ask them please, anyone who can help

16. Pim Registered Senior Member

Yes true...but you want to find a maximum of |f(x)|. If the maximum of this function is for example in the point 0<=m<=1/2, then we can say:

integral( |f(x)|, x=0..1/2 ) <=1/2 * |f(m)| .

Am i making sense???

17. lethe Registered Senior Member

yes. ok, a maximum then. actually, i suppose then that f(0) is a maximum on the (0,1/2) interval, and the inequality holds.

18. Pim Registered Senior Member

No, that is not true. I just checked it in Maple..|f(0)| is not always the maximum of |f(x)| on the interval [0,1/2] for all k..

19. lethe Registered Senior Member

wait. no, i m still not convinced that it s true. actually, i m looking at graphs of the polynomial on mathematica right now, and it looks true.... certainly f(0) has to be a maximum on the [0,1/k].

20. Pim Registered Senior Member

No, try k=10...., on [0,1/k] it could be true though! Maybe that's an idea!

21. lethe Registered Senior Member

it is certainly true on [0,1/k]. here is my proof: suppose f(0) is not a maximum (substitute absolute values, or change maximum to extremum as you please). then there must be some maximum on the interior of this interval. 1/k is a root, so the polynomial rises monotonically to this maximum, at which point it should start falling monotonically, until it reaches 0. since it is falling, it must have a root at some x<0. but it doesn t. the polynomial only has roots at 1/k > 0. f(0) is a maximum.

as i write this though, i realize there is a problem with my proof. it fails if there are multiple extrema in the interval. so this proof is not correct, and it might not apply in all cases, unless i can show a few things about the roots of the derivative of the polynomial. i ll think about that some more.

22. Pim Registered Senior Member

Nobody tried proving it? Please let me know how you tried it, even if it did not work.