How to handle mansplaining

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Magical Realist, Nov 7, 2016.

1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Question: is there a name for that?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

I guess I just don't know any men who are that whiny/bitchy, nor any who feel especially entitled or superior. Either something about the company you keep or the general quality of men where you live. I'd be interested to know what states people most often see this in. Considering things like income disparity and segregation occur more where people are most vocal against such things, I can guess.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. birch Valued Senior Member

Maybe perhaps you are just in denial or sheltered. How about that? It isnt the company i keep considering the example of the person isnt of my circle nor was the asshole arrogant manager at ibm i worked for who mainsplained to everyone, even his equals but especially women except his immediate superior because he knew else he would be fired. He wasnt the 'company' i keep either considering i am not a dictator of a country to decide who works where or moves to a location. Its a free country. They are everywhere just like good and bad people. What is telling in your reply is you dont know 'any' men who feel especially entitled or superior. Do you live in a bubble and never go out? Have you been at the same job years with the same circle? Its not especially about 'knowing' them well as in they come to your house for weekend bbq's. You have 'never' dealt with, seen, heard etc of such people? Are you a librarian in a small backwoods town? Lol

Did i shesplain this to your condescending reply? If i did, good.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Just keep telling yourself that.

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I think mansplanning may have an environment selection basis. Mansplanning is probably an altruistic behavior that provided early humans with survival advantage (given men where the ones likely to be hunting and killing game). Mansplanning may even be the behavioral trait that led to the development of educational institutions?

Men mansplane to other young men - this is usually seen somewhat favorably in Eastern Cultures who value the opinion of their elders. Though, of course, wives probably cannot stand mansplanning after a couple decades of marriage. And elders advise should be viewed with skepticism.

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You may be confusing "mansplaining" with actual explanation - something a genuinely knowledgable person does, to someone whom they have reason to believe is less knowledgable.

Mansplaining interferes with education - is, in a sense, its opposite.
    Methinks the ones doing the more sophisticated, complex, and difficult work of domestic chores and gathering would have the most survival value to contribute via explanation. Maybe that's why women talk so much, and "mansplain" so little (and do the bulk of the educating).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2017
  10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I'm not talking about the outcome, but the behavior itself. Sure, an idiot babbling is just that, but the action may be a program running somewhere in the brain that says: explain. What they explain is up to them.

I mention this, because I've seen it on many occasions in numerous cultures. I once mentioned it to a Japanese woman, and she said, yes, we have that, my mother hates when my father does it. But is what he said true? Sure, but nobody asked for his opinion.

.... okay. Noted.

Yes, but that doesn't explain mansplanning as a phenomena. It's a common behavior, surely it's been selected for some reason.

Most of these blogs are men.... spaning shit

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Not necessarily (or even probably) mansplaining itself, a culturally dependent and mediated phenomenon, but something that leads to it in the right cultural circumstances.

In particular, not its value as a source of explanation or education or communication. It has none. It's a problem.

Maybe it's a Zahavian handicap - like a peacock's tail: a guy who can take over and dominate a situation without providing anything of value or accomplishing anything or doing anybody any good at all is proving his status incontrovertibly - no subordinate person could get away with that. It's a small scale version of one of Castro's, Stalin's, Kim's, pick em's, ten hour speeches: a demonstration of power in its very worthlessness.

12. river

This mansplaining is about man ego .

But also a man can know more than the female ; and the female can know more than the man ; in the end ; it is always about the topic or ology .

And for those that are lucky enough to have the knowledge in the same ology . Respect each others thinking . It will do you both good .

In the end two heads are always better than one .

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017