How to download new operating systems

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Tnerb, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sagatr Registered Member

You can download one many linux or bsd distribution and avoid going the warez root.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. There's a company that sells physical USB drives, actually several companies, pre-loaded with linux. And, of course, the ROM sectors can be refreshed, as needed; for updates.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

BTW --- for people interested in upgrading older computers, this site is kinda cool

http://www.powerleap.com/

I upgraded an old "slot 1 PC" that was originally a Pentium 3 450 (I think the FSB was 100hz) to a whopping 1.4ghz using a "Tualatin processor"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tnerb Banned Banned

Linux yes. Good idea....
    I think it supports only windows xp 2000 and visa or something.

I'll have to get a new computer for my birthday if I am a good boy.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The genius level on this site is amazing. His DSL installation CD doesn't support linux....

Although I am curious about the OP's computer's specifics.... (age,speed, RAM, USB ports, CD writing?)

9. Tnerb Banned Banned

yeah; the specifics are sort of lacking.

Basically I'm looking for a way to get my dsl on my windows ME; it requires 2000 sp4 xp or vista I think.
    Therefore I would need a new operating system.
    I've asked if it's possible to get a new operating system; of which there, were, many answers.
    yes you can.
    no you can't.
    The opening post was centered around the concern of "no and yes".

10. Yeah, techie, I wouldn't give you a qwuarter to here your spill. Yeah, I would: Go for it...

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I assume you are not that good that you could look them up. That's why I said there is no way you could handle linux.

Anyway, I will break it down to the cheapest solution:

You get a Windows XP CD from wherever (make sure it has at least SP2), Ebay has it for $90. You also buy a network card, which is about $10-15. Then your system should work with the DSL.

If you buy the network card at Bestbuy they will install it for you, because I am assuming you are not that good with it.

Bottomline is, depending on how cheap you can get XP, the whole action will cost you between: $15-105....

12. Tnerb Banned Banned

Yeah, I could buy one of these cards.

Hook it up that way....

And shortly after I should like to get a new computer.... and finish out the recovery to the rock to the rock that is finally stilted by time....

13. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Most of those modems can be set up by connecting to it using a web browser. The at&t software is not necessarily needed.

If you're ever set up a router, it basically works the exact same way. The modem will have it's own local IP address that you type into the address bar of the browser to connect to it (example - 192.168.1.1). It will then give you a prompt for entering password or account information.

From there, you configure everything --- like whether or not the modem is always logged on to the internet, or whatever relevant pppoe settings are needed.

You don't necessarily need a fast computer, and you don't need windows or any modern OS. Anyone could easily do it from firefox/konqueror/opera/whatever.

BTW ---- the post is just an FYI

14. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I suggest you pirate XP and not Vista, pirating is not illegal because it's fun and offers enjoyable methods of acquiring hard to find content. Oops I'm jking lmao

This place bites, why can't we explain how to torrent or pirate it's not like explanations are illegal only doing it. Jeez...

Ya know Paladin Press got sued in court for publishing a fictional book called Hitman which someone supposedly used as a guide to kill. Still it's un-nerving they lost :L

Get PCLinuxOS!

15. Tnerb Banned Banned

I do hope, in my heart, that you are not mistaken.
    I should read it and respond.

I promise to do so and if impossible will inform....

16. Yeah, 386s run Linux variants very efficiently. A linux box can be had for $199. With all the features many would ever need...And, you could even upgrade it.
    Unlike this push towards PowerPC.

17. sagatr Registered Member

Have you decided what OS you will use leaning towards any ?

I would recommend Ubuntu Linux. You can get it from http://www.linuxworld.co.uk

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I just love these Linux fanboys on this message board! The OP doesn't know shit about computers, but you guys want him to use linux???

Specially when his DSL modem doesn't even work with Linux? Oh boy....He needs the possible SIMPLEST solution....

19. John99 Banned Banned

Why doesnt his DSL work with Linux?

20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Because AT&T software doesn't support it...

21. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

You don't need AT&T software for DSL. Those install disks are 99% crap. The primary problem is the lack of a NIC. And if the OP cannot take care of that, there is no point in trying to proceed further.

22. John99 Banned Banned

yeah thats what i thought.

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, I did mention like 3 times he was computer illiterate, but you guys keep advising linux...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.