How to become a Buddha?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Wisdom_Seeker, Jul 26, 2007.

1. VitalOne Banned Banned

You still don't understand what I'm saying, if you are "utterally out of touch with himself/herself and those around him/her" then that constitutes as some degree of suffering, unpleasantness, so it cannot be what I'm talking about, which is no suffering to even the slighest most remote extent...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

The fact that you trust it does not make it any less a belief. Anger can cause problems for some people, especially people who use their anger to keep them from facing other emotions. Or to put this another way, when they deal with stress by getting angry rather than feeling (and doing other things). But none of that shows that anger is bad. Eating can be bad and abused and done unhealthily. But eating is not bad.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Try expressing strong emotions in any Buddhist setting whatsoever in any culture on earth and you will found out exactly how Buddhists, masters and novices, BELIEVE about emotions.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Thank you.

8. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Sure and someone can call themselves a Christian and not believe in Christ. But then why say you are a Buddhist?

9. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

There is nothing wrong with emotions.

10. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

I never said I was a Buddhist, but one can be a Buddhist just by practicing the precepts; or by the mere purpose of trusting in the Buddha.
    I agree with you guys on the part that says that Buddhism teaches beliefs, but they teach that because those are the truths according to Buddha and the wise men of ages. If you choose not to believe what you are told, it is ok, because you haven´t experience it yourself, so don´t believe if you don´t want to. The fact is, you will only experience it yourself if you believe that it is possible. Just by believing that something outside your understanding is possible, you will open the doors of possibilities.
    They tell you those things in order for you to think outside the box, but they don´t tell you to believe them, there is a big difference.
    You are told what Buddha said, but they don´t tell you to actually believe them, they just point in the right direction, they don´t tell you to go, they just point it.

11. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

I never said there is something wrong with emotions. Emotions are just something to be understood; most of us just sit there and let ourselves be carried away (controlled) by emotions; the path of Buddhahood is just the understanding/awareness of your own emotions.

12. Parmenides Registered Senior Member

In my understanding, Buddhism does not require the existence of God. Becoming a Buddha in my understanding, means attaining the state of Buddhahood or Buddha-mind, or enlightenment, or nirvana. In each case the transcendent is reached by direct, immediate experience, though speculation about what it is is pointless as the experience cannot be directly described in words or concepts.

I have read some accounts of Eastern or Buddhist philosophy say Nirvana means uniting to God or the Absolute without distinction, though within Buddhism itself the achievement of enlightenment seems to be a state beyond concepts and words, and can only be understood by direct experience and awareness.

13. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

I have been thinking on our main obstacle in order to become Buddhas; it is very difficult to let go of that which you think you are, and identify you.

14. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

15. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

I really dont think youre going to ever achieve this form of non-suffering within the human form, but good luck. Worth a try i suppose.

16. VitalOne Banned Banned

I think it's possible...all these feelings of suffering are caused insecurities or defiling impulses...that feeling of being out of touch with yourself is also caused by a defiling impulse...what you're talking about being out of touch with yourself is like deep relaxation, deep sleep, where you ignore all your emotions...but suppression is not the way, suppression is suffering...

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

To become enlightened about yourself not about others is a teaching of the Budddha.

18. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

No, it is more than that. People are trained to sever the connection between emotions and their expression.

19. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Some things just vanish in the light of awareness, of understanding; like the shadow of suppresive and negative emotions...

20. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Just for a second consider the possibility that you do in fact think there is something wrong with emotions, at least some of them. Look at the quote above. This is a regular recurring experience I have with Buddhists and other inspired by eastern religions. They judge openly and indirectly emotions or certain emotions. If this is pointed out they deny that they think there is anything wrong with emotions and after the discussion or the day moves on the judgements about emotions or certain emotions being bad start coming out again. Why not take an open and consistant stand?

As a general rule there is nothing wrong with anger. It is often a natural, context appropriate response. Just like the so-called positive emotions. And so it is with the other emotions called negative. Note that even this judgement - negative - is dualistic and should come under the baliwick of likes and dislikes, but it is holy turf in Buddhism and is allowed an exception.

Hypocrisy.

21. VitalOne Banned Banned

I disagree, there is much WRONG WRONG WRONG with emotions, but in another way there is nothing wrong with emotions. In one way emotions are natural, so there's nothing wrong with experiencing them, but in another way emotions cause suffering so there is much wrong with them. The same people who say there's nothing wrong with emotions are the same people who go on whining "why do bad things happen?" "why does God allow evil?" "why does everything bad happen to me?" and all that BS...

What isn't wrong is destroying insecurities and defiling impulses that cause fear, anger, sorrow, pain, misery, boredom, uncomfortableness, nervousness, etc...this isn't wrong because it causes actual enjoyment, pleasure, happiness, where in you enjoy every infinitesmal moment...

22. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

1) I am one exception to your theory. I do not whine about why bad things happen and I have finally an understanding of the problem of evil. I also know a good number of people who do not fit the generalization you made. This judgement - which seems to have quite a bit of anger behind it, I did notice - is wrong. Perhaps you have been making assumptions about what happens when you really embrace your emotions. You assume it turns out badly and have found examples in your life that seem to confirm your judgement.

2) So you are admitting there is a dualism in Buddhism. Things outside you, INCLUDING THE EMOTIONS OF OTHERS, are to be accepted and not treated as things to be changed, just go with the flow, man. But phenomena inside us, for example emotions, should be controlled and expelled. As well as 'defiling impulses'. God you are judgemental. 'Defiling', indeed. I can almost see you pursing your lips in disgust.

3) You're just like Bush. What is outside him that bothers him, gets in his way, he destroys. What is inside you that bothers you, that gets in your way, you destroy. He is a mirror that you are not noticing is reflecting you. And you are generalizing wildly about emotions. If someone is raping my sister and I get angry and toss the guy into a wall, my anger was just fine. The child who is sexually abused who later feels anger or scared in relation to the abuser is not exhibiting defiling urges or emotions. You generalize and keep things on an abstract level, which becomes a tool to judge and eventually eliminate emotions. A loving approach is to find the real roots of the emotions rather than just cutting them out and judging them as defiling. And before you go into a lecture about how Buddhism does go to the roots, I am well versed in Buddhist ideas and practices. They assume out of fear that you cannot express emotions at the deep levels necessary to bring them relief. They observe them after cutting them off from expression. They assume that emotions need to be controlled and suppressed. And then they find their emotions disturbing. What a surprise that their heavily judged and hated emotions have a tough time in them.

But they can and you can of course do whatever you want to yourselves. Cut yourselves up. Fine. But when you seek to teach others that their emotions are bad (and then quickly add some sleight of hand about them being fine, also) you are doing people a disservice. You have no idea if there is a way to total self-acceptance and joy through the expression of emotions and through their freedom, yet you go on repeating old ideas about what has to be, making Buddhas into the Bible and being fundamentalists where the hate gets aimed inward and where it teaches others to aim their hate at themselves. You assume they have to be controlled and yet, if you look honestly at yourself, you will have to admit that you do not know this. That you are simply following a tradition and authority. more assumptions about what is possible.

Be a bonzai tree if you want to be. but what possible justification is there for proselytizing? where isn't the Buddha?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  23. VitalOne Banned Banned

So what is your stance? Let bad things happen and stand back and watch? Tell people to embrace fear, anger, and sorrow? That is what is wrong, that's what is irrational....tell people to lash out in anger and go out be violent and kill others...that's your stance?

Emotions, positive, negative, and neutral are disgusting to me. They are all under this material nature. They cause people to suffer endlessly, which is why they are considered digusting to me. They are like coverings, veils, hidings, shadows, hiding your own true self from coming out.

Just like Bush? More like the opposite, I'm for internal, not external. About lashing out anger against someone raping your sister, did you not know you could've stopped the rapist effortlessly without anger?

No one's cutting themselves up. How is teaching people that the feelings of sorrow, anger, fear, etc... is suffering bad? Rather, telling people to embrace these things is dangerous. Telling people on other hand to get rid of these deep-rooted insecurities within them is great advice in any way you look at it.

No this is false...I am speaking from purely personal experiences...the freedom, high-energy, sense of fulfillment, etc...from the destruction of insecurities is faar greater than anything experienced. The deep-relaxation state is lame, the state of happiness in the crown chakra still feels like something is missing, like you're only pretending to be happy, but there is another state where you are freed from all these forms of suffering, all these defiencies, that is highest....

I am not following tradition at all, I don't know what gives you that impression...my own personal religion differs slightly from those of the past, although it has many similarities....

You should tell this to yourself...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007