How to become a Buddha?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Wisdom_Seeker, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Buddhism teach you not what to believe, but how to experience things so you can know them, not just believe in them.
    From my perspective, you can say that Buddhism teach that God is within us all, althought they never say it like that; it is my interpretation. They teach you not to seek for God in something external from you, but inside you. By knowing the part of you that is connected to God, you become a Buddha, your suffering cease to exist; because you no longer identify yourself with your physical body, but with the part of yourself that is unmoving, eternal (energy)...

Interesting question...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

well....what is the answer?were can I find the answer?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

I’m thinking of a way to address this, but I honestly don’t feel as a "master" in the subject, because I think maybe only yourself, or a Buddha can honestly help you there. To become a Buddha/Christ is the purpose of everybody, we are all involved in this, want it or not. If you fail to do so in this life, you will learn from this, and reincarnate until you manage to obtain this. Although I can give you my understanding, so we can take it from there...

See it like this, God is everything, and it is everyone. If you put everything into One, you get the definition of God. I understand it like this: there is division, and there are infinite manifestations so God can understand himself better. Can you believe that? God is doing right now the exact same thing that ALL the teachers & masters have told you to do for thousands of years: “Know thyself”.
    Taking in consideration that there really is no time, there is past, but it is gone, there is future, but is uncertain, and there is present, which is eternity. Everything will eventually go to its source, because there is no time, so everyone is a Buddha/Christ, because that is the goal we are all going to obtain ultimately. Even if someone crystallizes the Buddha in this life, or they are going to do so in 3 more lifetimes, if you think as there is no time, then everyone is a Buddha right now, because everybody will obtain this after many lessons (lives).

You can get better advice from actual Buddhas/Christs on this one, Yeshua and Gautam were amazing teachers of this subject:

Yeshua says: The person old in days will not hesitate to ask a little child of seven days concerning the place of life— and he shall live. For many who are first shall become last, {and the last first}. And they shall become a single unity. (Gospel of Thomas, Vs 4)

And whoever among you will be the first, he shall be your servant. (Matthew 20:27)

And one of the most significant parts of the NT about this is the part right alter Jesus washed all of his disciples feet:

“When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. "You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.” (John 13:12-17)

The meaning of this is quite simple, it is a similarity to one of the teachings of the Buddha:

Gautam Buddha once told this story:

When Buddha became enlightened, he was able to see his past lives. And it dazzled him. He said that in a past life, he was a common man and he didn’t have such a high estimate of himself, he thought himself to be a “sinner”, lets call him "B". So "B" once went to see a guru that everyone seemed to worship as God, an enlightened man. When "B" went to see the guru, and spoke to him, the guru got on his knees and kissed his feet. "B" was shocked, he did not understand why a guru would kiss his feet; so the guru replied: “You don’t understand this right now, but you will understand it one day…”. The day the Buddha because enlightened (a couple of lives later), he finally understood what the guru had said to him in that past life; time is an illusion…

See the extraordinary similarity in the following:

"Jesus poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded. Then He came to Simon Peter. And Peter said to Him, “Lord, are You washing my feet?”
    Jesus answered and said to him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this.” (John 13:5-7)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. VitalOne Banned Banned

In one way Buddhism does (indirectly) teach that God (or the cause of all causes) is within us:

"From ignorance as a requisite condition come fabrications.
    From fabrications as a requisite condition comes consciousness.
    From consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-and-form.
    From name-and-form as a requisite condition come the six sense media.
    From the six sense media as a requisite condition comes contact.
    From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling.
    From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving.
    From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance.
    From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming.
    From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth.
    From birth as a requisite condition, then old age and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, and despair come into play.
    Such is the origination of this entire mass of stress and suffering" (Udana 1.1)

There is something within you that causes all of existence...

Similarly Yeswah says:
    "If they ask you, 'What is the evidence of your Father in you?' say to them, 'It is motion and rest.'" (Gospel of Thomas, 50)

What Jesus is talking about of course is superposition (motion) and the collapsed state (rest) which only in modern QM is known in the double-slit experiment.....

8. VitalOne Banned Banned

The answer is in the destruction of the defiling impulses, which cause you fear, anger, sorrow, doubt, boredom, and ALL other forms of suffering...

"One who has conquered all defilements, cannot be defeated. Such a one is The Buddha, who has attained unlimited power" (Dhammapada, 179)

Therefore to become a Buddha just destroy all insecurities, defiling impulses, etc....after that there is just unlimited enjoyment, power, freedom, happiness, etc...finally at last freed from all of this...

9. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Yeap, in other words: get rid of attachments of any kind, because they lead to clinging and that leads to unacceptance of the innevitable change.

10. VitalOne Banned Banned

Yes, but getting rid of the attachment is only the first step, if you experience any unpleasant feeling of any kind even to the slightest extent it's an indication that there's something wrong with in you still...if you destroy all defiling impulses, then there can no longer be any unpleasant feelings, and thus you can never be defeated, never experience any anger, fear, sorrow, or suffering of any kind...then you will be a Buddha, a perfectly self-awakened one...

11. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

I would choose that the control of your emotions is the first step, not last; but then again, what the hell do I know he!

12. VitalOne Banned Banned

Well yeah...controlling your emotions and giving up attachment are like the samething...I would call it the first step...

13. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Buddhists, especially Western ones, often say Buddhism does not teach beliefs, but this is not the case. You are taught all sorts of metaphysical beliefs, ethical beliefs and methodolgical ones. Internal states are named and predicted. Certain kinds of behavior are virtues, others are not. There are beliefs about the expression of emotions, who we really are, the nature of reality and so on.

The conscious focus is on technique, but implicit and open beliefs are continuously being aimed at initiates.

Western religions often focus on belief as an end in itself: faith you could argue is one form of this. So coming from Western religions it can seem like Buddism does not have an equivalent set of beliefs, but it does.

14. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Beliefs and value judgements. This is exactly what I mean.

15. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Belief stated with implicit value judgements of 'attachments'.

16. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

17. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

So you have a belief - emotions should be controlled - and you are not sure of it.

A belief with an implicit value judgement.

On other threads you encourage people to accept what is outside them - other people, things that happen - but emotions, things that are inside you, these you feel must be controlled.

Dualism.

And a belief system that you are advocating.

18. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Actually, you are told all these things, but you are also told that language is inneficient, and that you shouldn´t "believe" anything you are told; it is all illusions. You can only trust what you have experienced yourself, then comes the Buddhist practice to experience it yourself...

19. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

It is not just a belief, I actually trust that; I´m not sure if its the first or last step, I don´t know the significance of "steps" to follow here. I just know that there are levels of consciousness, and that the control of our emotions is a significant factor in this equation.
    All of us experience anger in one way or another, on any given time of a regular day; but what does anger do to us? Anger only damages your liver, causes stress disorders, and it clouds your mind to act responsably.
    So why do we experience anger, even if the only damage is done to the person who experience anger? The only thing is, the anger is born within us, it doesn´t come from something or someone external to us; we, ourselves generate this anger inside of us.
    For me, this is just a level of consciousness that needs to be overcomed in order for us to live a healthier and happier life; instead of living in this ignorant state of mind.

20. VitalOne Banned Banned

I agree completely, Buddhism DOES teach beliefs...

21. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Well yeah, I agree, but you can be a Buddhist, and chose not to believe those.

22. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Buddhism doesnt ask for faith, but it does present a hypothesis...and a set of constraints.

Your physical life is constrained in order to liberate the spirit.

23. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

I think it can just as easily work in reverse though, the person who remains unmoved by anything negative around him could quite easily be utterally out of touch with himself/herself and those around him/her.
    Enlightenment is a slippery fish and a very personal aspiration to have imo, my own take on it is that over-concern with self-suffering probably isnt go to lead you anywhere beneficial or even anywhere particularly interesting.