How smart are you? Take the IQ test.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by AUSSIEABORIGINAL, Aug 10, 2002.

?

Do you believe that IQ tests are an accurate measurement of intelligence?

Poll closed Apr 17, 2004.
  1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. No

76 vote(s)
    83.5%
  1. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Do the test I linked to lion. And a good score on that one is about 118. It's not exactly accurate (the test I linked), but it's hte best I've found. What you got on the test you already took means nothing

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. overdoze human Registered Senior Member

That's the one I took (I hate registering, so I didn't do the first one.) Let me tell you I'm not "exceptionally gifted". I think these online tests are a bunch of crap. In fact, that test you linked to told me I was eligible to join their society, which would cost me like 60 bucks per year. LOL

Congratulations, you're smart enough to give us your money!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

IHIQS Update ...

Took the test a few days ago, accepted, kicked in my shekels,
    moseyed around. Came to a couple of conclusions:

1. Not as restrictive as Mensa (upper 5%);
    2. Interesting, polite 'conversations'. but rather
    ....mundane;
    3. Not as intellectually challenging as the 'science'
    ....threads at Sciforums;
    4. A place to drop in, but not spend too much time.

I guess my initial, very initial, impression is: The IQ
    equivalent to a 'vanity press' ... For what it's worth.

Take care

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tyler Registered Senior Member

What was your score, do you remember?

Like I said, it's not accurate, it's just hte best I've found so far.

8. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Ahhh ...

I plea senility ...

But, accepted by Mensa almost fifty years ago and, for what
    it's worth, tested within three points of my score back then.

Yeah, I know ... The older you get etc. etc. ... I guess the tests
    aren't that accurate in the 160+ range.

POI* Scored higher on the IHIQS bit (dug out the old records).

Take care

*Edit for typo*

Last edited: Aug 21, 2002
  9. mossfan125 Registered Senior Member

Im just wondering, does age have to do with anything. Im 15 and I got a score of 131.

10. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Both tests tell me I'm smart enough not to post the results

11. Bohemian Nightmare I am better than you Registered Senior Member

I have an IQ of 307.

12. Nova1021 Registered Senior Member

I got 135 and "Visual Mathematician" on the emode test. Weird, since i'm better at verbal stuff than math. Of course not many tests check the visual-spatial stuff it talks about. *shrug*

On the High IQ society one i got 141, i guessed on several, and took a long time on several others. Now, i must sleep. Why i felt inclined to take these tests this late is a mystery... hehe

13. TheDon Registered Senior Member

I got 129, but im going to put that down to the fact I just finished writing an essay and im tired, not to mention the fact i didnt take it seriously at all. When I studied psychology at school i learnt that IQ test cant accurately tell how smart you are.

Anyway the last one I did, i got a score of 147 and that was another internet based one.

14. Deja vu Registered Senior Member

On IHIQS

Chagur,

I saw you posting at the IHIQS this morning, and you mentioned this forum, so I decided to give it a gander. I must say I do like it. There are some very knowledgeable people over here.

I noticed you stated over here in this thread that the IHIQS is full of "mundane" conversation. Well, for the most part, the forums over there are mundane and boring (can't deny it, especially lately), but the message board is a bit better usually. You happened to join at a bad time, dude. In the last month few of the "power hitters" have been posting. The conversation has been unusually mundane lately. (There have been many out of control ad hom arguments over there lately that have resulted in a lot of hard feelings, which resulted in some of the better posters taking a temporary leave). For some reason, IQ societies have traditionally been filled with big egos (I wonder why), which result in very nasty personal attacks between posters.

There are some mega smart individuals over there though. Nathan (the president) has a legit supervised Weschler IQ of 162. A couple of the other "power hitters" have supervised 150+ IQ's. There are several individuals with legit 160-170 IQ's over there as well. There are a couple of interesting PhDs in various fields, and a few very talented writers. If you can sort through all of those kids who barely got in, and who love to discuss the weather and their love lives, then you will see that there is indeed some worthwhile convo over there. (Hint: Check out the old threads in the philosophy, Physics, and History forums. Plus, check out the Message Board archives)

Also, someone here said that you must pay $60 a year. Not true. The fee is $60 for a lifetime. IHIQS used to be free, but after Nathan pumped $600,000 of his own cash into the project, he has had to start charging. I don't blame him. One thing I can say out of sincere honesty, is that IHIQS is not intended to be a lame society that feeds on egos and exaggerates IQ scores just to make money. I have been around there long enough to realize that this isn't the case. Nathan takes his tests very seriously and has had a committee of people design them and look at the norms.

As for all the skeptics of online IQ testing here, I would generally agree with you 90% of the time. Most tests are bullshit, plain and simple (especially IQtester.com and some others that make you pay for your score). A general rule of thumb on these online tests; if you can guess and still score well above average, then chances are that the test in question is bullshit just planted to make a buck. However, I do feel that there are 2 or 3 online tests that will usually generate a score within 5 points of a supervised score. Most of those tests can be found as IHIQS entrance tests at the IHIQS home page. The Ultimate test has to be one of the best tests online. This test has been normed against several hundred thousand people in a span of several years. 7% of those who take it score high enough to join the IHIQS. The cut-off for IHIQS is the top 5%, but considering that most people who attempt the tests are going to be a bit above average, then the 7% pass rate is about right. (60% of people who take the Mensa test pass, even though Mensa is the for top 2%. This should illustrate my point.)

So, it is of no shock to me that most people in this thread who have taken the Ultimate test have scored above 120. Your average, run of the mill, factory worker or farmer simply would not visit this forum nor take online IQ tests (not to say that there aren't brilliant farmers or factory workers.) I bet very few people who post in this forum are of average IQ. The collective IQ here is probably well above average. Why do these 120+ scores shock the skeptics in this thread? Some of you act like that just because everyone here has scored above 120 that this means the test is BS. I can assure you, most people who take that test score near the average IQ of 100. Now, if you say that some tests have scored many people here at 170 and 180+, then yeah, I would be very skeptical of that myself. I doubt there is anyone here with a true 170 IQ (maybe one or two, but doubtful)

Anyway, sorry for the length of this post (it has gotten out of hand), so I will shut up now. I encourage anyone who wants a good alternative forum (that isn't strictly science related) to give IHIQS a shot. I am sure most of you can pass the tests, and if you can afford a one time $60 fee, I think many of you will like it; if nothing else but to make friends in your local area. I don't work for the iHIQS, and I don't really care if anyone joins or not. I can just say that I am a member of 6 IQ societies and none even comes close to the IHIQS.

This forums looks very good too, and I hope to hang around and learn something.

15. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Hey, Deja vu ...

Welcome to this neck of the woods.

Thanks for the fill-in on IHIQS.

As you are aware, I have stuck around (popping in every so often)
    so it isn't the turn-off that some of the forums I've dropped in on
    have been. Thing of it is that, in my opinion, Sciforums sets a
    pretty high standard though I will admit there is a bit more of the
    mundane around than there used to be. Maybe there's a virus going
    around? Who knows.

??????? Where have all the 'crazies' gone ???????
    (to the tune of 'Where have all the flowers gone?)

Take care and enjoy

16. Popcorn8636 Registered Senior Member

Ha ha! I've done 3 IQ Tests so far that show my IQ is is between 151-161! I'm only 12 years old!

17. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Being 12 would actually be an aid for getting a high IQ.

I assume you're talking about tests online. Online tests are remarkably simple. The questions are similar to the types on a real IQ test, just really easy. And your IQ score is relative to your age. If I answered the same amount of questions right as you did my score would read about 120 when yours read 160. And since these tests are so simplistic anyone could do them, it's not too hard to get 160/

18. Deja vu Registered Senior Member

"Being 12 would actually be an aid for getting a high IQ. "

It doesn't work that way. Most IQ tests these days are on the deviation scales, rather than ratio. If he indeed took an online test, then it would be tougher for him to score 160 than it would for someone over 16. The online tests are usually normed for adults, not children. Professional tests are administered according to age. If you are under 16, you take a child test, above 16, you take the adult test.

"I assume you're talking about tests online. Online tests are remarkably simple."

Online tests are really not anymore simple than are professional tests. Have you ever taken a professional test from a psychologist? Most online tests are simple because of the fact that they are purposely designed to inflate scores. (There are som honest online tests out there however, and the accuracy of the score just depends on if the unsupervised participant adheres to the rules a la no help from others.)

"The questions are similar to the types on a real IQ test, just really easy. "

I dunno about that. In some cases perhaps. But there are some IQ tests online that have been normed by PhD's and were designed to be extremely difficult. Have you ever heard of Ron Hoeflin's "Mega Test"?

19. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"It doesn't work that way. Most IQ tests these days are on the deviation scales, rather than ratio. If he indeed took an online test, then it would be tougher for him to score 160 than it would for someone over 16. The online tests are usually normed for adults, not children. Professional tests are administered according to age. If you are under 16, you take a child test, above 16, you take the adult test."

Look at the IQ test posted in this thread originally and you'll notice there's little difference between adult and child tests online.

"Online tests are really not anymore simple than are professional tests. Have you ever taken a professional test from a psychologist?"

Yes sir. Twice. As requested by my second elementary school and my junior high school.

"Most online tests are simple because of the fact that they are purposely designed to inflate scores."

Yuuuuuup.

"I dunno about that. In some cases perhaps. But there are some IQ tests online that have been normed by PhD's and were designed to be extremely difficult. Have you ever heard of Ron Hoeflin's "Mega Test"?"

Can't say I have, actually.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

IMHO

I have never taken an IQ test
    duno why-
    I think it is because I a little bit fear of the results

(not that I'm stupid) and that I generally don't believe in them.

In order to measure your intelligence you have to do tests in various fields, not just those witty or math questions.

Can they measure my abillity to adopt to new situations (although this may not be reffered to as intelligence), ability to learn new stuff, memory, etc etc

I just think that these tests are too simple to actually measure ones intelligence.

and of course there comes the fact that I hate to be put in some particular category

21. Beren87 Registered Member

I had to take one at school only a few moths ago, to get into certain classes, and mine was 163. It was like 120 questions long and took 1 1/4 hours, so hopefully it was prettty acurate.

22. Deja vu Registered Senior Member

Beren, which test did you take? 163 is extremely high, but it depends on the test.

23. yumyum The All Knowing.. I think Registered Senior Member

ok well on the first one that test sucks um im 14 i dont think my iq is 170. the second one i now have a dislike of bright geometrical shapes it was 110.