How should we treat the worst prisoners?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by jmpet, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

birch

While I agree with many of your points, I think you are being a bit rough on poor DNA.

We are only, when all said and done, swapping ideas. No need to get insulting.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SilentLi89 Registered Senior Member

You said, "Why should we punish?", but then in the same breath advocate punishment. Quarantine is a punishment. Whether you're locked in a box or locked in a mansion you get lonely all the same. Could they be treated better? Yes, of course they could be... but since when is not having a television considered inhumane? If they were beaten everyday and deprived of food then that would be nasty. They can read a book, write a book, play solitaire, count the dots on the ceiling or whatever. Who cares? Those are all nice things they have most likely deprived their victim(s) of and should be grateful for even that. The only part of their humanity that they are deprived of is physical contact with other humans. Which is the price they pay for doing the terrible thing(s) that they did.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Silent

I agree that quarantine is a punishment. However, that is not the intent. The intent is simply to remove them from society so they cannot perpetrate more harm.

This difference in intent means we are free to make their lives as comfortable and pleasant as possible, as long as we do not breach the removal from society.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SilentLi89 Registered Senior Member

Why? No one goes out of their way to make my life as comfortable and pleasant as possible. As my little brother used to say when he was in kindergarten, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit". They get all they need to sustain life and a bit more, like a bed and toilet. Why should they have anything more than that?

8. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Silent

I believe the USA has a principle against "cruel and unusual" punishment. Lifetime quarantine is bad enough.

9. Zecoac Registered Senior Member

What they did was cruel they should be happy it is not worse. Like example letting the victim's family on them.

10. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

That is, of course, a sentiment based on negative emotions. I cannot agree with any ideas based on anger, hatred, or desire for retribution. After all, we do not know what makes the worst criminals what they are. For all we know, it might be a virus inhabiting the human brain.

We cannot fix the problem, or cure the sickness, and so I am suggesting a humane removal from society to prevent any further harm to good and innocent people. I see no practical reason to inflict punishment on those criminals. They are, after all, being severly punished just by the quarantine.

If someone is to be incarcerated for life (or at least till they are old enough to be harmless), then it costs us little to make their incarceration comfortable.

11. Zecoac Registered Senior Member

I don't think we should give them luxury living why should they have all these nice things when other people who have done nothing wrong don't. When they decided to commit such a harsh crime is when they decided to have there rights taken away.

12. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Zecoac

Do you call living in a tiny space with a few toys like a TV set, luxury living?
    I sure do not.

Even if our serious criminals are well served, they will still have (compared to your average citizen) a tiny living space, and massively reduced freedom. If your atavistic emotions require the notion of punishment, be assured that this is severe punishment.

13. manoj29 Guest

this site is good and informative.

14. manoj29 Guest

science is interesting........

15. manoj29 Guest

the science is taking a great action for the easiness of the people.

16. manoj29 Guest

good site and informative

17. manoj29 Guest

Even if our serious criminals are well served, they will still have (compared to your average citizen) a tiny living space, and massively reduced freedom.this is interesting

18. manoj29 Guest

how can we be great?

19. manoj29 Guest

can we share the nature and do something new to the world.

20. manoj29 Guest

we are all born great.....

21. manoj29 Guest

how can we reduce the tension?

22. manoj29 Guest

how to be great and successful?

23. manoj29 Guest

life is good.