How often do you wake during the night? (On average)

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by TaleofGenji, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I can't believe I completely forgot about this point. James is correct, studies show that people wake up several times a night, but that they don't remember them.
    Although the last I heard it was less severe than some of the posters here appear to exhibit, and the average was 3-5 times a night, whilst the cycles were slightly longer, depending on just how much sleep you need to get as everybody is different. Most people sleep 6-9 hours a night IIRC, so that would give cycles over an hour in duration (on average).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

Often. VERY often.

I have horrible insomnia. I've tried everything. I have amazing sleep hygiene. I eat NO carbs after 3pm. No refined carbs at all. I avoid wheat at all costs (which is goddamned difficult but I'm learning). I've been on and off everything. Valerian root. Heleotherapy (which works well). Light therapy (which helps some). Melatonin. Warm milk. Ambien. Sonata. Doxepin (which had a very dangerous effect on me). I now use Lunesta once a day 20 minutes before bed. I sleep for the first four hours. I then sleep restlessly for the next three.

~String

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. orcot Valued Senior Member

It seems I scratch/grope people in my sleep. Slept to long with a blanket in my childhood I suspect

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

How old are you? Many people believe they need a lot more sleep than they actually do.

Thirty years ago I drove myself nuts trying to get the standard eight hours. I finally gave up and started staying up later and enjoying some of the late-night TV shows, listening to music while doing needlepoint, or just reading. Then I'd go to bed and sleep soundly for 6 - 6.5 hours and I felt fine.

If you can sleep soundly for four hours, have you tried going to bed later or getting up earlier and just building your life around it?

Everyone's different and we don't all need the same amount of sleep. My wife and I are the same age but she can sleep for nine hours and doesn't feel good if she doesn't get at least seven. I stay up later and get up earlier.

8. superstring01 Moderator

Sigh.

My boyfriend too.

So annoying!

~String