How much would you pay to go to the moon?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Double Overdrive, Jun 2, 1999.

1. In our quest to begin the space tourism age, there is only one varible that keeps us glued to our planet and that is MONEY. Although there are promises to bring the price down alot, there is still one thing we forget about. We forget that rockets that send things into space don't always work right. Current launch records estimate 1 out of 100 launches end in failure. This figure is what would kill a space tourism industry.

So, How much would you pay to go to the moon?

The costs are clear, you have chances of getting killed and you have to pay like $10,000/pound for everything you need to bring with you. I can tell you that you won't be seeing me on the moon until things get changed.

-Double Overdrive

[This message has been edited by Double Overdrive (edited June 02, 1999).]

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sirius B Guest

By the time corporations began to open space travel to the general public, they will have already solved the the problems associated with launch and transport failures.

It will probably be called "a waiver" (

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Steve Guest

Well, being part of the Artemis Society, (www.asi.org) I'd not only pay a small yearly fee and also work towards the cause.

In terms of cost, there are already several plans in developement to get that cost down to less than a tenth of what it is. It was only until this year that private ventures were allowed to send a reusable craft into space in the US. The cost will go down.

As for safety, I don't think that will be as much a problem as you think. Although it is an issue, computer simulation has made the field a whole lot safer. Granted the US has had some problems of late, but remember that this is a frontier. We're rediscovering rocket technology that has layed dormant for many years so their is bound to be problems.

Yes, it's going to be many years from now before people go back to the moon, but I'd sure as hell be ready to go when asked.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aloysius Guest

Well, being a paying customer of the Artemis Society (

) ...

You ned to make clear whether this queston is addressed to "pure tourists" or to people who want to make the trip into a "firsst stepping stone".

I'd personally pony up a couple of hundred grand to spend a week there, and I have quite a few friends who would share this view.

However, it would also involve being recipients of some future profitability.

8. I would only pay that kinda money if they were sending me to Mars. The moon may have a pretty view, but going to a planet would be much better and more worth the big bucks I would be spending...

-Double Overdrive

9. April Guest

If I had big money, I would pay it. It would be so awesome to go to the moon and see the universe from somewhere with no artificial lights all around you, and to be able to see Earth as we see the moon would just be amazing!

10. Trust me, they will have artificial lights up there... By the time we get to go up there, there will be a big base on the moon.

------------------
    We live, we die, WHO CARES!
    -Double Overdrive

11. Aloysius Guest

I'm thinking of founding a Society For The Banning Of MacDonald's On The Moon.

Same for Coca Cola.

You bet they'll want to be among the first.

Then there's bloody Mickey Mouse

12. Aloysius:

I second that motion. But as you know it isn't going to do any good. They are already selling REAL ESTATE on the moon. I'd bet you a million bucks we'll have fast food on our crater-filled neighbor (but I'm not allowed to bet.

)

------------------
    -Double Overdrive

[This message has been edited by Double Overdrive (edited June 02, 1999).]

13. Mid12am Guest

Depends if we get to drive one of those neat little moon cars..

------------------
    (Midnight@golden.net)
    (Ouch.my.head)
    (http://home.golden.net/~midnight/)

14. I want to buy a condo in the sea of tranquility. Or how about on the shore.

------------------
    -Double Overdrive

15. Caradoc Registered Member

Whilst channel hopping I just caught part of one of those chat shows from America, it is called 'Leeza' I think. They were talking to a woman who is actually selling or buying (I didn't see the beginning of the segment) land on the Moon!

She was showing a deed to a few acres described as 'extremely desirable, with an Earth view'. She was selling or buying it for $17.00 including shipping. Apparently this is legal - you Americans amaze me

So, if you ever told your sweetheart you would give her the moon, now's your chance

Act fast - the next 1500 buyers get free mineral rights!!!

16. Crisp Guest

Only in America things like that happen

Anyway, I cannot believe people are actually falling for that.
    I remember reading something about a "universal declaration" that
    stated that no country or governement is allowed to seize any land
    (or everything) on non-earth planetary bodies.

$17 including shipping ? Shipping from the moon to me, or me to the moon ?

17. Caradoc Registered Member

I forgot to mention you get a free T-shirt and a piece of 'Moon Rock' as well. Guess that's what the shipping charge is for.

Still, $17.00 for a T-shirt and a lump of rock? - I don't think so.