How Much of Politics Do Americans Know?

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by TruthSeeker, Jan 14, 2005.

?

Is the US government legitimate?

1. Yes (I'm american)

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. No (I'm american)

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  3. Duuuuh... I dunno. Duuuhhhh (I'm american)

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Yes (I'm not american)

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. No (I'm not american)

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I've been wondering.... is the US government legitimate?

Well.... I guess not. It certainly doesn't follow the rules of the Geneva Convention....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Also the whole "Patriot Act" and stuff......

Is the US sovereign? Certainly. But that is not a good thing, not even for americans. Do americans even know what "sovereignty" implies....?

Do americans even know what politics is!?!? I wonder.... Maybe americans are involved in politics only when there are elections. And maybe they just know about the canditates and that's it.

So I challenge americans. Give me a definition of "politics" and "sovereignty"!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

What do either of your examples have to do with establishing the legitamacy of a government. I would challenge
    you to first define what constitutes legitimate government, then we can compare that to the United States.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. otheadp Banned Banned

The US government is legitimate and constitutional.
    it follows the US constitution, and is recognized by the US citizens, the countries around the world, and even the Native Americans

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2005
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

And how come there is no option for Duh, I dunno (I'm not American)
    And to echo goofyfish you appear to be talking about arguably, or allegedly, illegal acts rather than an illegitimate government.

8. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Are ya trying to refer to the U.S. independance from England? That government could then be "illegal", but like others said, you're being kinda vague. Regardless of that, everyone should know that the people with power get to make the rules if there's nobody around to stop them. People can try, but when they fail such as in the case of England, then what? Ya get to make your own rules and call them legal because ya can.

- N

9. vslayer Registered Senior Member

ophiolite, because all outside of america have brains and information, so the only outsider who wolud vote that wolud be total idiots and therefore fit right in with americans

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

What about the exact opposite to the US policy......

The idea is to let them do it.....

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

That says nothing. The Patriot Act alone is completely unconstitutional. And how can a government that goes to war (Iraq, Vietnam and others) against the will of its people can be legitimate at all!?!?

*cough cough*
    Gotta look at some amendments.....

What about in the Iraqui war? Or Vietnam? Or missile defense?
    Not only that, but the governemnt uses fear to control people...

The countries of the world recognize the american sovereignty. However, no country in the world recognizes the american sovereignty over the entire planet....

I'm not even going to comment on that....

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Huuuummm.... because there would be only 0% of people voting for that anyways....

No, I'm not. Americans need to learn some history....

And real politics...

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Huuumm.... I'm pleased with the pool though....
    Seems like americans are actually more informed than I previously had thought....

14. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

In other words, you don't know.

:m: Peace.

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

(Insert Title Here)

The U.S. government in general is as legitimate as any other, and even moreso in some cases.

The present U.S. government is legitimate, despite its policies, because that's what the people want.

That "middle America" rejects the U.S. Constitution in support of the Bush administration is beside the point: the courts cannot proactively seek issues to resolve, and must await both the petition itself and a proper argument, even on behalf of what is self-evident.

Does this point to systemic flaws? Of course. But I dare anyone to put an example of a perfect government before me.

We're doing okay. We fight within this country because some of us want to be doing better, while the GOP is happy to give over to the terrorists. We fight within this country to protect the legitimacy and authority of our Constitution, our freedom, our principles, and our station in the world.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  16. surenderer Registered Senior Member

As far as the "legit" acts that the US commits please let me know when the last time Congress has declared War on another country(it is their job you know) and then tell me how many people from other countries have been killed by US bombs since this time

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

actually a formal decleration of war IS illegal under international law

18. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

The thesis of this thread is, "You don't agree with my politics, therefore you are stupid!"

19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yeah, right...

Truth is.... I obviously don't agree with the american policy. If I was american, the government would certainly be illegitimate. Well, maybe the government isn't legitimate either way. Was the government legitimate during the Vietnam war, or the Iraqui war? What was the percentage of american citizens against the Iraqui war!? Do you think that was democratic at all? Do you think it followed the american constituition? Do you think the Patriot Act is supported by the american public? Do you think the Patriot Act follows the constituition? How many times has the government broken the very laws the american citizens follow? If the government brakes its own laws, wouldn't that make it illegitimate?

Isn't it obvious I know what I'm talking about?

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Huuuumm.... that raises another interesting issue, actually.
    If the people is badly informed or misinformed about what is going on, could the people support the government even tough they shouldn't? In other words.... if the government tricks people to accept their policy, would that still make that government legitimate?

It's on the works....

Oh... if you actually followed your Constituition....
    No, honestly, your contituition is great! But I doubt the government even look at it!

Which freedom? How can you have freedom when you are in constant fear of terrorist attacks? Besides, how many cities in US are actually considered to be safe? How many prisoners do you have in your prisons compared to other countries? Where is your freedom!?

Which principles? The same one that makes people go to war?

Which "station"? Does the world love and respect america?

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Is this the best contribution you can give to this thread?

22. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

It appears to be the most appropriate. I can understand, and even accept, the implied position you have taken as a twenty-one year old Canadian citizen. But I hasten to suggest that your journey through life is just beginning and that you have much to learn about geo-politics.

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Well, I wouldn't base my understanding of myself on such assumption, if I were you. In fact, I think "experience" is just an excuse that adults invented to abuse children.

Even because according to Erikson's theories, I have gone through the stages of life twice already...