How much does it cost for you to obtain your drivers license in your country?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Free_Matt_417, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Free_Matt_417 The CIA took my baby away Registered Senior Member

Here in Australia, it costs a little over $1000, more if you choose the log book.

Learners permit: $100

Log book: 20 $50+ lessons.
    or
    Test training: 10 $50+ lessons
    Test with car rental etc: $150

We also need 50 hours of driving experience: 50 hours of fuel = $500+

Getting your license: $70

Hazard evasion course: $30+

...i dont know many 16 year olds who can afford $1000+ in driving lessons etc.

how much does it cost in your country?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

It was around $55 when I got mine. I'm in the US, by the way. I was 17 when I got mine, because I couldn't afford the insurance payments until then.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

In the US all you need to drive is at least one opposable thumb and one pound of ripe bananas.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sixteen-year-olds should not be driving. The fact that they can't afford the license is irrelevant.

Eighteen-year-olds should not be driving. But in the United States there isn't much public transportation in most cities so we have to give them the ability to go to work and school.

The classes you have to take in Australia are a good idea. In America, driver's training is a joke. Virtually no American knows what to do if his car starts to tip over and very few can handle it if it goes into a skid. Most can't accurately estimate their stopping distance at highway speeds. A surprising number have no idea how sharply they can turn the steering wheel to catch an off-ramp they missed.

The last time I saw the statistic (probably before Perestroika), about 3/4 of the Americans who tried to get driver's licenses in Germany failed the test--and they had a special "dumbed down" test for the families of American military personnel who were stationed there.

Don't complain because your country actually makes people learn how to operate a motor vehicle before they are allowed to do it. One out of every 7,500 Americans is killed in a road accident every year. It is one of the top ten causes of death, and it is one of the top three for teenage children. (Childhood is really tough here: suicide is also in the top three.)

8. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Over here they are probably going to bring in 150 hours min driving tutoring, at £25 a lesson you work that shitout!
    .......Well its actually 3,750 quid.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

In the netherlands I got my motorcycle drivers licence for 400 Euro alltogether (lessons and exam costs).

In the US I paid 20$ for my car drivers licence. But I can't exchange it for an European one, so at the moment it's value is zero.

It was ridiculously easy to get the American drivers licence. i just had to drive on a parking lot. No traffic. Never hit speeds above 20 mph. It was nice to get it so easy, but it would have been totally irresponsible if I hadn't been used to driving in heavy European traffic on a motorcycle in my opinion.

For my motor drivers licence in holland I had to do a certain set of lessons plus an hour long exam existing of driving around in Urban areas, freeway and outside urban areas. And a practice test to see how well you handle the motorcycle at low speeds, a emergency brake test etc.

Actually the success rate of this exam is quite low. Luckily I got mine the first time otherwise the price goes up considerably. I would imagine that nowadays it is much more expensive.

10. Free_Matt_417 The CIA took my baby away Registered Senior Member

oh, its different here...sixteen is regarded different, probably because gambling and alchohol is legal at 18...

and i'm not whinging about lessons, i'm just saying, they shouldnt make it so damn expensive...

11. ScottMana Registered Senior Member

12. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Provisional (Learner) License: £30
    50 hours of tuition: £1000
    Test:£50

....and that's if you pass the ridiculously strict UK test first time.

13. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Free Matt I think it should more expensive. Maybe not the thousand dollars, because driving is such a damned necessity here, but at least 200-300$. If you can buy shitloads of online music, an iPod, and the clothing brands you just gotta have, you can save up for a license. They give them out to pretty much anybody in California. Nobody takes driving seriously, they drive like jerks, they cause accidents, they don't give a shit because it didn't take that much to get the damned license. (25$ for mine back in '83, Arizona).

If they don't make them more expensive, they should make them much harder to get. Out of a mere 15 questions on my written test in California, I was told I could miss 7!

14. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

You could miss 7?? They've obviously changed it, becuase I could only miss 2. I know that because the first time I took it, I read one of them wrong, and I missed 3 (the other 2 were completely impertinent, and trivial things that nobody would need to know in order to drive, and consequently I didn't bother learning them).

Though I did pass the actual street driving portion with no problem. And now with several more years of experience, I think the test was probably too easy.

15. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

a drivers license package in Denmark cost 1419.58€ at the first school i found on the net.

Then there is some minor extra things like the test(practical and teori)and extra lessons which all build on to of the base package.

16. smile_on_a_rainyday Registered Senior Member

driving is way to expensive.

hint why i blag lifts off friends at the moment hehe

i do plan to learn...after uni....

....when i'll be so in debt i wont care spending just a lil bit more on driving!!! haha

mel xxx

17. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

50 hours of tuition?

I got a car and the parents helped me learn to drive. Had about 4 proper lessons. Passed first time. Since you'll be getting a car and insurance anyway, makes sense to get it before, then it's £37.50 for the test and about £20 for the license.

Assuming you know somebody over 21 (or with 3 years driving experience) who's willing to teach you to drive.

18. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Also, sorry to go on, but the theory test (£20 or thereabouts, can't remember) is ridiculously easy.

The actual driving test is easy, too. Look in every direction and all the mirrors before you do anything, keep within the speed limits and basically drive like an old person. You can stall 3 or 4 times, touch a kerb, forget to check a mirror and all kinds of things before you get 15 minors (and a fail).

A friend of mine forget to check his blind spot as he was driving out the test centre and a car had to slam on its brakes. The driver honked the horn and the test guy told him he'd failed there and then

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

mwahah.

I passed on Friday the 13th. Was quite chuffed about that.

19. vslayer Registered Senior Member

CAR:
    Learner licence application fee $39.30
    Learner licence test $39.70
    Restricted licence application fee $39.30
    Restricted licence test $48.90
    Full licence application fee $44.30
    Full licence test $70.80
    Total $282.30

MOTORCYCLE
    Basic handling skills test $41.00*
    Learner licence application fee $39.30
    Learner licence test $39.70
    Restricted licence application fee $39.30
    Restricted licence test $48.90
    Full licence application fee $44.30
    Full licence test $70.80
    Total $323.30

plus its about another $120 if you want to drive a truck or tractor on the road. bloody ridiculous.

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/licensing/

20. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Well, not everyone has that many relatives to help them out or the use of a car for lessons....plus, it's better to get professional tuition. After getting a lot of lessons, and then having my Dad and a friend "teach" me (I later changed that to "accompanying" me) I saw that people who have had their license for several years forget most of the stuff they were taught, as I myself am starting to do. I mean who actually checks all their blind spots every time they move off? Mirrors is about all most people do. If you passed first time, I'm sure you think you're a perfect driver, but sorry, you were just lucky. The UK test is ridiculous because it depends on these things:

1) Which route the examiner chooses. Will it be a quiet route or a busy route? (luck)
    2) What day and time your test is. Were you able to get a test on a Sunday when there were no cars around? Or did you get a test on a weekday at rush hour? (luck)
    3) What was the weather like? (luck)
    4) Did you get a forgiving examiner or a complete bastard? (luck)
    5) Did the examiner notice that? (luck)
    6) Did you encounter the situation that would display your weakness in a certain area? (luck)

So as you can see, if you have reached a test standard (which I had after about 2 months of lessons) the only thing that will affect whether you pass or fail after that is luck.

Also, when I did my lessons/test, it was £50 for each test and the license cost nothing.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  21. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Touching the kerb is an instant fail. You can also very easily fail for forgetting to check a mirror, it depends on the examiner. You can stall a few times but if you cause another driver to slow down or drive around you, you fail.

Forgot about that theory test, it's £30, I sat it in July last year. Was pretty easy, don't think I have heard of many people failing that.

It's mostly the boy racers who pass the test first time, then they brag to their mates that they're a perfect driver, they think they can do no wrong, exceed the speed limits and drive drunk because "they can handle it", then next thing you know you drive past their corsa upside down in a ditch. Therefore I regard anyone who passed first time as a danger to other drivers. I know I'd rather sit in the passenger seat of a car driven by a girl who'd taken 5 attempts.

22. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Most people have friends, family, etc. Not saying everyone does. My point about buying a car is - why pass your test if you're not getting a car?
    I know I'm not the perfect driver. I'm fairly confident, but don't push it as it would be a major headache and expensive situation if I crashed.
    Nobody drives like they do on the test and while learning. If we did there'd be traffic jams everywhere.

The test isn't ridiculously hard though. The American test looks ridiculously easy - hop in an automatic, drive around a few streets without crashing and wahey - here's your license?

1) What route the examiner chooses. Will it be a quiet route or a busy route? (luck) Potentially determined by luck, although they do add a certain number of different elements to try and make the 'average' test the same level of difficulty for everyone.
    2) What day and time your test is. Were you able to get a test on a Sunday when there were no cars around? Or did you get a test on a weekday at rush hour? (luck) True. I got schoolkid chucking out time, which made things fun.
    3) What was the weather like? (luck) Again true. My original test date was cancelled due to snow and the date I did get it was rainy, but not too bad.
    4) Did you get a forgiving examiner or a complete bastard? (luck) True to an extent. I think they have to do everything by the rulebook. If they're blatantly being a dick, I'm sure you could have their job by complaining.
    5) Did the examiner notice that? (luck) This is true. They might miss you looking in a mirror or not as the case may be. The instructors always pointed out you should emphasise your head movements so the examiner can be in no doubt you checked the mirrors.
    6) Did you encounter the situation that would display your weakness in a certain area? (luck) True.

Well, yes and no. If you have everything nailed, you should be fine in most situations.

Also, when I did my lessons/test, it was £50 for each test and the license cost nothing.[/QUOTE]

23. Sputnik Banned Banned

Denmark .... about 700 Euros .........